[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: PearOS [Linux Distribution]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not sure if this would be the correct place to put it, but meh.

PearOS (Link) is a Linux distribution made to look like Mac. Mainly what you get is the theme and dock of OS X. Which you can get on Windows using RocketDock. (paid software. You could always gift it to yourself from thepiratebay. sharing is caring, yo.)

Anyway; I have Mac, Windows and Ubuntu. All I can say about this PearOS is that it ALMOST does the job of looking like OS X. It doesn't give you the OS X experience you're looking for I suppose. No gestures, not the animation when you minimize a window to the dock, wobbly windows can be toggled within some customization program I forgot the name of while writing this.

There's a notification tray as well, that I think is unique to this Linux distribution alone, I quite like it.

There are some alternatives to PearOS, such as Elementary OS; however I prefer PearOS over Elementary OS, so does a lot of other people.

You'll see that the people behind PearOS are making a tablet version as well. This is something I'm really stoked about, if this is an actual thing and something that's actually going to happen I'm going to be so happy. The idea of having a lightweight computer OS on a tablet appeals to me for some reason.

Running out of things to write about now. :I
Leave thoughts in thread.
"There are some alternatives to PearOS, such as Elementary OS; however I prefer PearOS over Elementary OS, so does a lot of other people. "

Why? Not using any of them myself just curious.
Is it only available in French?
The URL is only .fr dont worry haha Smile
(2014-01-20 17:12)Weelob Wrote: [ -> ]"There are some alternatives to PearOS, such as Elementary OS; however I prefer PearOS over Elementary OS, so does a lot of other people. "

Why? Not using any of them myself just curious.

Well, I like the PearOS better because it looks more like OSX, hence giving you a better experience of it. I never really got into eOS, only tried it in a virtual machine for a little while.
seems PearOS is no longer downloadable as it's been taken over by a company?
Wonder if Apple had their noses in with a lawyer Tongue

Also a message from one of the head admins to "Dave" the developer.
Quote:Well, I have learned today a lot ...
I will no longer support downloads of pear-os, and such developer behavior agains the community - the disappointment is huge.
Such behavior raises open-source and the developer a very bad light. No explanation for the incident. No information. The users are left alone.
That is not honorable, Dave.
We must install a new os and this must happen in any cases very fast.
It was a bad decision, Dave. Also, because you have not previously written anything about your decision.
Your image is now very scratched.
Bye community
Yea, probably A**le. They sue whatever they can drag into a court.

On the other hand, who wants an OS that looks like a M*c?
There's other places where you can download this still, if you'd want to keep it for personal use.
Am very interested in giving this OS a trial run on my old laptop, will get searching Wink
Just found it on sourceforge... Smile
(2014-01-22 11:27)Ash Wrote: [ -> ]seems PearOS is no longer downloadable as it's been taken over by a company?

You wot?

(2014-01-22 12:09)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]Yea, probably A**le. They sue whatever they can drag into a court.

On the other hand, who wants an OS that looks like a M*c?

Because it looks fancy Sad

Also, I like Linux in general, it's very lightweight on most machines. So when I find a old machine (*ahem* IBM) I put Linux on it, and then you've given it a few more years to go!
Reference URL's