[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Chase lag + Multple Channels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey guys, got 2 ideas that I feel would be useful.

Idea 1: Chase lag. When chasing a a suspect and they start to time out, the player often reappears several hundred meters down the road and often escaping the cops in the chase. This for me, can be really annoying and I feel it should be prevented. I often watch some "trolls" who like to do this on purpose to evade a chase (not naming names) and I feel it's really unfair. Also you can't tell the player who is timing out to stop because the messages won't get through to them. And even if the player is genuinely lagging, then it's still an un-wanted feature. My only idea is that if you the suspect gets above 2s of lag, the chase automatically ends before he can drive off.

Idea 2: Multiple channel chats. I find this really useful for people who have certain friend groups, nationalities and teams. If say a person is in a team chat, and wants to talk to other members that don't have a mic (nick), then they have to switch between channels. Same goes for people that are in channels for people who speak foreign languages. Switching between possibly 3 channels, is abit of a pain.

My idea, would be to enable 3 channels that are listed in the order you create them. Such as: !channel Teamchannel - !channel NickNeedsaMic - !channel Finland.

so the command to talk in each would be !ch1 - !ch2 - !ch3.

I have spent some time thinking this idea over and I feel it could be useful.
Idea 1: If the InSim can detect lag, then it could be a reasonable idea. Although possibly a little more than two seconds.
Idea 2: I wouldn't mind this.
I agree with both points Franky boy. I would only suggest that instead of a (2s) lag timer, id say make it a bit longer, just due to the fact that sometimes when my mum starts to stream some things, i can sometimes get this sort of lag.

What i can suggest on top of that is, the suspect doesnt lose any XP, cops also.
Idea 1:

If people lag and gain an unfair advantage (certainly to the point where they escape) then you can report them, or let us know if we are online. We can calculate the fine and refund the cops involved.

If people are purposely creating lag to evade then they should definitely be reported. That is straight forward InSim Abuse.

Idea 2:

I like the idea of multiple channels (if it's possible).
Pretty good suggestions if they can be put into place Thumbup

+1
I like the channel idea. We would then need to be careful typing in the correct channel however. Could easily type private stuff ment for !ch1 into !ch2 instead and so on Tongue
I'm supporting the Idea 1 as I have chased an InSim abuser later. Annoying to lose statistics.

+1.
(2014-04-28 15:06)Josh Wrote: [ -> ]Idea 1:

If people lag and gain an unfair advantage (certainly to the point where they escape) then you can report them, or let us know if we are online. We can calculate the fine and refund the cops involved.

If people are purposely creating lag to evade then they should definitely be reported. That is straight forward InSim Abuse.

Idea 2:

I like the idea of multiple channels (if it's possible).

But proving it would be impossible? In a replay you can't view the users ping, so you wouldn't be able to see if they are always lagging or exploiting it. And 2s would be enough because you shouldn't be in a chase with lag that badly anyway, and if you are responsible enough and you notice it mid-chase, you should really pull over. Also money doesn't matter for some cops, more the stats which are non-refundable which is why this bug annoys me so much.
Like both ideas, I think it will be very useful.

For the Lag idea +1 definitely. Another big bonus if the the insim can detect a ping above 200ms then the chase would be called off automatic with a message like "User's Cannot be chased: Ping too high" no fine, no XP loss as lag in chases are horrendous and unsafe.

Correcting cop stats? Or just paying money?

I've lost some chases too by laging guys and often I had the feeling that the lag has been done on purpose.
(2014-04-28 15:24)LuckyLuke Wrote: [ -> ]Another big bonus if the the insim can detect a ping above 200ms then the chase would be called off automatic with a message like "User's Cannot be chased: Ping too high"
No. That would criminalise every Australian, New Zealander, Singaporean in existence. You can still have enjoyable chases in such cases.
(2014-04-28 15:24)LuckyLuke Wrote: [ -> ]Like both ideas, I think it will be very useful.

For the Lag idea +1 definitely. Another big bonus if the the insim can detect a ping above 200ms then the chase would be called off automatic with a message like "User's Cannot be chased: Ping too high" no fine, no XP loss as lag in chases are horrendous and unsafe.

The only issue is there are some users who for example play from Saudi Arabia and can't help but have a horrendous ping. I think it's more the fact if the ping goes up so much it enters the 30-second countdown, then the chase would be called off, or whatever.

Idea number two, sounds great. I think the only pain here would be the additional having to write a channel number so as mentioned, !ch1 or !ch2.

Keep great ideas like this coming!
Hmm that's true. Nevermind then.
I definitely think the channel idea would be a great benefit. The chase ping idea would be good also, in principle, as I've had a couple people intentionally lag when I was chasing them. I hope it's possible to implement these
(2014-04-28 15:27)Dino Wrote: [ -> ]

Correcting cop stats? Or just paying money?

I've lost some chases too by laging guys and often I had the feeling that the lag has been done on purpose.

We refund the money from the chase. As XP/Stats don't currently go towards anything we don't edit them. It's also a lot more hassle.
You can detect whether someone is lagging in InSim but if we were to add an auto-kick for lag then the threshold limit would have to be quite a lot higher to compensate for sporadic instances of lag.

Idea 2 is great, one possible addition would be:

!ch+ <channel name> - Add a channel to your channel list
!ch- <channel name> - Remove a channel from your channel list
!channels - View your channel list
!chX - Where "X" is a number, respond to channel X (eg. !ch2, !ch8)
(2014-04-28 17:09)Pete Wrote: [ -> ]!chX - Where "X" is a number, switch to channel X (eg. !ch2, !ch8)

Very interested on that bit, do you mean that you do !chX to change channel and you wont be able to see messages from the other channels or am I reading this wrong ? And instead of auto kick maybe a chase to finish as the lag may be constant but not intentional then the person been chased wont lose Km's.
Nice idea though just an idea that may improve it Smile
(2014-04-28 17:09)Pete Wrote: [ -> ]You can detect whether someone is lagging in InSim but if we were to add an auto-kick for lag then the threshold limit would have to be quite a lot higher to compensate for sporadic instances of lag.

Idea 2 is great, one possible addition would be:

!ch+ <channel name> - Add a channel to your channel list
!ch- <channel name> - Remove a channel from your channel list
!channels - View your channel list
!chX - Where "X" is a number, respond to channel X (eg. !ch2, !ch8)

any more than 3 channels is abit excessive because I want to be able to see the chat in all of them.
Also, I'd imagine that when a message comes through it'd have to be changed to "[CH1] Hi there".
(2014-04-28 17:58)Fwanky Wrote: [ -> ]any more than 3 channels is abit excessive because I want to be able to see the chat in all of them.

You don't have to join more than 3 though.

(2014-04-28 18:01)DanielP Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I'd imagine that when a message comes through it'd have to be changed to "[CH1] Hi there".

Or a different colour (or maybe not), yeah.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's