[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Cruise Controll Mod allowed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've found a cool little cruise control mod but i'm not sure if its allowed. The way this one works is that it takes control of your throttle for any analogue controller, so it doesn't control anything in LFS, it only takes the speed readings and adjusts your throttle according to that.

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/78376
Looks fine to me.
Just my two cents worth...
I thought these programs weren't allowed as it's technically cheating to get insim cash?
I was told that too a long time ago, but they have a feature to prevent people driving in circles now.

As long as you're at your desk driving the car it's alright imo.
(2017-05-29 11:54)StatGear Wrote: [ -> ]Just my two cents worth...
I thought these programs weren't allowed as it's technically cheating to get insim cash?

Well, it's not a driving-AI that steers the car around the track. You're still the driver and you're still in control. Furthermore, it doesn't absolve you from driving attentively and responsibly.

From a technical view, this program does also not modify LFS' memory (e.g. as cheats do), it rather simulates valid input. If this was the case, I'd consider this as forbidden.
(2017-05-29 12:26)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]Well, it's not a driving-AI that steers the car around the track. You're still the driver and you're still in control. Furthermore, it doesn't absolve you from driving attentively and responsibly.

From a technical view, this program does also not modify LFS' memory (e.g. as cheats do), it rather simulates valid input. If this was the case, I'd consider this as forbidden.

Yeah I do understand that, It's just that I thought cruise control programs weren't allowed as you can just sit on the speedlimit earning max insim dollarydoos.
But you can do the same with your feet or setting your gears to max out accordingly. However, if that program would read the speedlimits and update itself automatically, then I'd classify as cheating.
(2017-05-29 12:40)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]But you can do the same with your feet or setting your gears to max out accordingly. However, if that program would read the speedlimits and update itself automatically, then I'd classify as cheating.

Yeah that's a good point. Okie dokie thanks
Wasnt aware of this program, I always max out the gear at the speed, but my ears dont really like that anymore. Thanks for bringing it to the attention.
NO this program doesnt read any speed limits, you just drive up to a speed, click set/coast and it will maintain that speed. It doesnt write to LFS's memory, it only reads outgauge data. Its a bit like LFSDashboard but it takes control of your throttle axis for your controller

Also, it doesn't increase the risk of crashing or anything because if you brake, it automatically turns off and you have to go back up to that speed again
BTW i've been trying it online and for some reason the UI doesnt come up on online but works in single player mode. Is there anything blocking it in the TC servers?
(2017-05-29 21:39)TheRealSidewayz Wrote: [ -> ]BTW i've been trying it online and for some reason the UI doesnt come up on online but works in single player mode. Is there anything blocking it in the TC servers?

Why use something from 2012 when you have Mary? Tongue

Configure it properly and use the Cruise Control in there: https://github.com/MariusErl/Mary
because mary is using mouse for throttle input.. aka no axis..
(2017-05-29 22:29)Adorable Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-05-29 21:39)TheRealSidewayz Wrote: [ -> ]BTW i've been trying it online and for some reason the UI doesnt come up on online but works in single player mode. Is there anything blocking it in the TC servers?

Why use something from 2012 when you have Mary? Tongue

Configure it properly and use the Cruise Control in there: https://github.com/MariusErl/Mary

I'l give it a try tommorrow, thanks for informing me about another cruise app. I hope theres analogue axes support for joypads though
Gonna post here instead, some jobbeh bumped a million years old thread:

Quote:There are 2 factors on each of those mods, which must be judged separately:

1. The moral question: Is it an aid or a cheat? Does it give unfair advantages? Does it take choices away from the driver, e.g. by setting its own speed by some magic code, or does it just carry out a driver's distinct wish, e.g to hold a preset speed, as typical cruise controls do.

2. The technical question: Does it use the proper input / output mechanisms? E.g. Outgauge/Insim, or does it use hacky ways into LFS' memory.

I guess it's not right to say "all cruise controls" are allowed or disallowed, each program must be assessed individually.
Reference URL's