[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Idea to counter auto-join backups
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone, first of all, sorry if I make some english mistakes, i'm not perfect in english grammar.

On my last gaming session on Montana with about 16 cops, the main subject in cop chat was the following : auto-join and !join spamming.

I had an idea to give every cop a fair chance of joining a chase, when using the public !join.

-> The idea is, when the Cop 1 of a chase calls backups, during the backup countdown, any cop wanting to join the chase do it normally with !join.

BUT, at the end of the countdown it's the InSim which randomly chooses 1,2 ou 3 cops between all the cops who wanted to enter the chase and allows them to join.

In a faster way, and maybe much clearer :
->Cop 1 calls backup
->20 seconds countdown
->cops who want to enter the chase hit !join (countdown does not stop and keep going)
->InSim randomly chooses the cops allowed to enter the chase at the end of the countdown between all the cops who wanted to join.

This would work only for the main !join of course, not for the private/channel backup suggested by AdamB.

Feel free to share your opinion on that.

Have a Good day.
-1 for me. I like the idea but the issue is that sometimes a cop is online with another cop friend and want to do chases together. This stops that from occurring. Also sometimes cops only need one other cop to help out, so randomly choosing 2 or 3 cops doesn't need to be there.
I think there just should be a minimum of 2 sec before you can join chase after typing !backup, then everyone got a chance to join
(2017-08-24 20:27)GOOMB Wrote: [ -> ]-1 for me. I like the idea but the issue is that sometimes a cop is online with another cop friend and want to do chases together. This stops that from occurring. Also sometimes cops only need one other cop to help out, so randomly choosing 2 or 3 cops doesn't need to be there.

I did think of something to set in your settings if you want 1,2, or a full set of cops for one backup call, but i dont know if it's make-able.

And for the friend cop, a private !backup command has been approved on the forum (http://forum.city-driving.co.uk/showthre...?tid=27024)
I think the best way is to keep the system as it is but have a random buffer time between 1 - 3 seconds after the !backup call has been made, e.g. if !backup is called and the buffer is 2 seconds, any calls within this 2 second period are void. The built-in LFS spam protection will mean most InSim apps won't be able to circumvent this by spamming !backup and will put them in line with every other player attempting to !join. Seeing as the buffer time will be completely random (use atmospheric noise instead of some psuedo random number generator) and it it will be incredibly hard to circumvent.

Of course, there is also the other suggestion that was on here with regards to being able to target backup calls.

All in all, copping has boiled down to a battle of the InSim apps at the moment and you either beat them, join them or create your own one to prevent yourself from being left behind.
3~5 sec buffer. Of all !joins the closest to supect gets in the chase. This could lead to some "problems" in the open configs, when roads are close to each other but seperated, but overall it should be fairer i guess.
Quote:copping has boiled down to a battle of the InSim apps at the moment and you either beat them, join them or create your own one to prevent yourself from being left behind.

All it takes is keeping up (which everyone can do thanks to InSims) and calling !backup and roadblocks until susp car slowly dies. too bad such strats end up being very effective.

Quote:I had an idea to give every cop a fair chance of joining a chase

Was suggested in the past, and looks like it's not happening
(2017-08-24 21:53)Adorable Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:copping has boiled down to a battle of the InSim apps at the moment and you either beat them, join them or create your own one to prevent yourself from being left behind.

All it takes is keeping up (which everyone can do thanks to InSims) and calling !backup and roadblocks until susp car slowly dies. too bad such strats end up being very effective.

Not everybody wants to use these insims, I personally think it's a huge shame that they've even come to be used commonplace.

(2017-08-24 20:32)Morreboy Wrote: [ -> ]I think there just should be a minimum of 2 sec before you can join chase after typing !backup, then everyone got a chance to join

I think this is probably the best solution, who knows if it can really be solved though.
perhaps take a 2 sec buffer to ignore/counter autojoin.. or just plain kick autojoiners after 1-2 warnings.. (similiar to how automatic wellcome detection works)
(2017-08-25 04:52)dyzio2206 Wrote: [ -> ]perhaps take a 2 sec buffer to ignore/counter autojoin.. or just plain kick
autojoiners after 1-2 warnings.. (similiar to how automatic wellcome detection works)
There is unfortunately no reliable way to determine auto-joins. The welcome-message relies barely on the fact that nobody can type the name of the connecting person that quickly with his fingers and also nobody would even think about doing so.

Hitting a !join hotkey can be done within a fraction of a second, even less if you're in voice-chat with the the one calling backup. If you know, your mate is gonna call backup, I'm sure one can click !join only a few milliseconds after the actual backup call was made.
(2017-08-24 22:23)Adorable Wrote: [ -> ]^How about this? http://forum.city-driving.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=6697

I dont think that would be helpful because nor everyone wants to chase faster cars such as when is someone waiting with XRT and it asigns him to chase XFR or FZ..

My suggestion would be (this is subjective, please comment what you think about this)
Create a few police stations (like Rescue Station in Sydney). When the lead cop calls backup, only those cops prepared and readied in the Police station/police stop will be able to respond.

This keeps it fair (if you want to join, be in the station. Simple.) Prevents chase swaps too - where a cop busts one suspect, and immediately joins the next. Also stops cops following chases or "being in a convinient place" to join backup.

Cops would still be subject to the !join spam, but at least now they are all now in a universal spot and if all are stationary, would ball down to who can !join the quickest.

Pop your comments on this below.

Cheers
(2017-08-25 05:31)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]There is unfortunately no reliable way to determine auto-joins. The welcome-message relies barely on the fact that nobody can type the name of the connecting person that quickly with his fingers and also nobody would even think about doing so.

Hitting a !join hotkey can be done within a fraction of a second, even less if you're in voice-chat with the the one calling backup. If you know, your mate is gonna call backup, I'm sure one can click !join only a few milliseconds after the actual backup call was made.
given the fact that 40ms is the minimum ping(about 1/4 of the people in server at the time of typing with others well above 80-100) and 240-300ms is the typical reaction time(https://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime try it!)

i think it can be managed though with so much latency while in full server you can expect a 240ms bare minimum reaction time.. considering that person is driving and paying attention to other stuff too
There's also a chance that someone's spamming !join while waiting for their friend to do !backup, so there's still that.
(2017-08-25 19:00)Roba Wrote: [ -> ]There's also a chance that someone's spamming !join while waiting for their friend to do !backup, so there's still that.

You will be able to send backup requests to specific people at some point, the idea was approved in this thread: http://forum.city-driving.co.uk/showthre...?tid=27024

I think a good way to stop auto-joiners would be to implement a queue system.
(2017-08-25 05:31)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-08-25 04:52)dyzio2206 Wrote: [ -> ]perhaps take a 2 sec buffer to ignore/counter autojoin.. or just plain kick
autojoiners after 1-2 warnings.. (similiar to how automatic wellcome detection works)
There is unfortunately no reliable way to determine auto-joins. The welcome-message relies barely on the fact that nobody can type the name of the connecting person that quickly with his fingers and also nobody would even think about doing so.

I'm very sure most auto joiners will still beat this.
Reference URL's