[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Remove speedtraps(, or not, or adjust them)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello ladies and gents,

its been a while since we "talked" about this and i believe more people meanwhile might share my opionion of speedtraps.
I'd just like to get an idea how many are out there and (although the main idea and poll is about removing speedtraps) have a discussion what could possibly be changed.
So i'll actually (again) start with some arguments and would appreciate if people this time actually read them before replying (nonsense).

Main argument:
-Speedtraps prevent chases and interaction
A lot of people enjoy the cops-n-robbers aspects of TC, especially chases. You !laser a civilian, !chase, he passes speedtrap and the laser gets erased.
Although this is good for the suspect, its technically preventing actual interaction between other players, eg. trafficstops, conversation, chases(with more cops) and its often hard to even find suspects when a trap is set up.
Hint to all suspects: If you get lasered in 80-zone with 200kph by a cop and are provided with a 400 Euro fine: before you fail to stop find a trap, pass it with 89kph, get fined 40 or 60 bucks, park up-> cop has no more laser. win.

-Speedtraps are (not entirely, but) mostly useless
Few people drastically reduce their speed only at the location of the trap, causing a hazard for others coming from behind,
others dont slow down at all,
and a few even try to get a "highscore" so actually are a greater danger on the roads.
You can also often do donuts in the middle of the road near a speedtrap(which is more dangerous than speeding), but the cop will just sit around and do nothing, even if hes not afk.

-Speedtraps almost always cause some arguments on the server(I plead guilty here)
Although some people claim they trap "to make the roads safer"-which i personally doubt in most cases-, alot even admit to trap to cause arguments and to annoy other drivers.
The traps are therefore completely missing their purpose.

-Speedtraps bring no plus in gameplay
Going away from keyboard or having a lunchbreak and therefore setting up a trap actually adds nothing the gameplay, to fun or interaction with others.

-Speedtraps can often not be avoided
Yes, this is a "cruising" server and traps do exist in reallife. But reallife is much bigger. I can drive for days or weeks without actually seeing any, while on TC you pass the same trap every couple of minutes.
That has become slightly better with the open configs, but its still way smaller and even on the open Blackwood map, you often pass the same spots over and over.

-Speedtraps are partially unrealistic
At least the temporary traps i know of(in germany), need to be located almost directly at the road or in the back of the car, and only measure in one direction(or even one lane only).
On TC cops hide in the bushes, 30m away from the road(or is the radius only 20m? or 50m?), sometimes even fining people on two different roads and in both directions.

-Imbalance between cops and robber
Robbers basically pay for having fun, while aswell providing fun to (in most cases) at least four cops or even way more.
They pay for speeding, pay the fines, and on top get fined by speedtraps. While cops earn money.
Also imagine a robber in a stolen car(/escaping from cops): He wont get any ticket from any speedtraps he passes.

-Speeding itself isnt the actual danger, it is the people. Alot of people speed in XFRs or FZs for hours, without causing any danger at all, while slower cars/drivers and epsecially drifters are a major problem.

Regardless off the outcome of the poll, here are some ideas that could be discussed:

-Disable the speedtraps for suspects. In chase aswell as before they fail to stop. As the !laser already determines whether a player is in chase or not, i guess that shouldnt be too hard to implement.

-Smaller radius of speedtraps: Make it more realistic and less unfair towards civilians/robbers.

-Only fine civilians in the same !location, eg the street the cop is parked on. No offroad traps.

-One way speedtrap: Fine civilians only behind the cops car(like the hazard is shown), like irl out of the backdoor window.

-!hazard+ could be equipped with a automatic speedtrap

-Limit speedtraps to two or three per person and day.
If any admin can be arsed, please check the chatlogs of the last like 72 hours, search for !speedtrap and share the result. Is that really how speedtraps are intended to be used?

-Extend the cooldown for speedtraps to something like an hour or whatsoever. As above, it is just too many. Some cops park near a safezone, speedtrap, drive 20m inside to recharge and come back out to trap more.

Now please, feel free to discuss, agree or disagree, but keep it reasonable. "it's your fault if you speed", "dont speed if you can't afford it"(lol eksdee) or "speedtraps exist in reallife" is not reasonable, thx.
I agree here with Barney. I got some idea if some of you doesn't want to speedtraps be removed. Basically there would be somewhere on the map static speed trap which will be always there and if someone passes overspeeding, the laser measurement would show in cop chat and cops would have like 30 seconds to chase him for the speeding he did until the measurement gets "deleted". In my opinion this would be nice and reasonable replacement for the current speedtraps.
Enhance the radar warner, I built my own and I very rarely get caught by one now.

Current radar warner isn't really that good.
I like the idea of mapping it to !hazard+, but would suggest the same for !caution+ too (but with a less severe set of fines). Then the speedtrap function would be removed aside from those 2 cases (to legitimately try to slow people down for accidents up ahead).
(2017-09-03 17:56)Adorable Wrote: [ -> ]Enhance the radar warner, I built my own and I very rarely get caught by one now.

Current radar warner isn't really that good.

I think this wouldn't work since there are playing a lot of people which don't even know what caution sign is.
I'm not a great fan of the speedtraps myself but i'd sooner see them be employed better into gameplay rather than removed. A start would be removing the autofine you get when passing one, from there we could try and work out a system that allows it to function as a benefit to the cop speedtrapping and the other cops around the map. I'm thinking along the lines of turning it into some sort of ANPR system, though that would be complicated and a lot of work most likely.
i realy can't deside.. changing the way speedtraps work(ie the speedtrap-chase relation) sound like good options..
i could easily suggest every cop having 1 speedtrap per day with server limitation 2 speedtraps per server

that way it reduces the camper-cops problem to minimum as every cop has only 1 speedtrap availiable with no option to recharge
(2017-09-03 17:56)Brad Wrote: [ -> ]I like the idea of mapping it to !hazard+, but would suggest the same for !caution+ too (but with a less severe set of fines). Then the speedtrap function would be removed aside from those 2 cases (to legitimately try to slow people down for accidents up ahead).

I've thought of caution aswell, but as we have so many places where lines are separated by barriers, especially the autobahn, i don't think thats good. If i see a caution clearly being on the opposite, seperated lane, i don't slow down and would prefer to not get fined.

Edit: but a much smaller radius could solve that aswell.
Speedtraps making COPs job less work, Since each COP has a Laser function, no use of Speedtraps..
I agree with Barney here, but I put "I like speedtraps and want to keep them" by mistake.
(2017-09-03 18:56)GOOMB Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with Barney here, but I put "I like speedtraps and want to keep them" by mistake.

Click the "Undo vote button" then re-vote accordingly.
Great post, i always felt speedtrap were more of a nuisance than anything. There's no fun in them and most times i've seen them used was by bitter cop who got sick of losing chases.
Out of all of the possible ideas you mentioned, I think that:

Quote:-!hazard+ could be equipped with a automatic speedtrap

Would probably be the best choice. The benefit this has is that there is a punishment for ignoring the caution/hazard signs, putting the speed trap to a more practical use and shouldn't cancel out the laser readings from other cops.
I like the idea of hazard + speedtrap aswell. It would bring a change and a good use for the speedtrap feature
I´m mostly with Barney and I say this as a COP who use speedtraps sometimes. (I see no problem with that, no matter what other user think. Its part of the game in the moment!)

Everytime I do a "!hazard" as COP (mostly on Autobahn @ Kyoto) I do also "!speedtrap". So I like the Idea. Not with !caution, only on !hazard. Because thats the one where the ppl everytime needs to slow down, no matter what happend else.

I think also a fat +1 for the Idea not to speedtrap robbers in chase. In the name of gameplay.

But its also a factor for crusing server and it is part of it. But maybe set it down to 1 allowed speedtrap insteat of 2 now.

And one Idea more. Maybe set a automatic warning (every 60 sec) in the chat when a speedtrap is there with the "!location". Like a Radiowarning in reallife.
I mostly take the traps on points where many accidents happen. (In my opinion). Often I do the warnings by myself, cause when I play as COP its my part (as a Roleplay) to make the roads safer for cruisers. I want that drivers reduce their speed at this point.

Oh and yeah, I think speedtraps caused to many discussions. Thats the point why I only give more sarcastic or mostly funny answeres if someone complain about a/my speedtrap.
I'd would like to throw in my idea of speedtraps in to this.

Basically 2 kinds of speedtraps:
  • Free to deploy - Visible to everyone by little sign (similar to caution)
  • 500~1000 Eur to deploy - Unvisible but detectable by Radar warner.

Now visible speedtrap would encourage people to stop speeding by not annoying people who might not want to get fined by a huge sum. (Just like there are roadsigns of speedtrap ahead IRL.)

Unvisible would work the same way except that COP's laser wouldn't get deleted if a suspect passed the radar. Visible radar wouldn't delete the laser either.

Now if someone got speedtrapped they wouldn't get fined right away. It would accumulate in their profile/police database/etc. until it's payed. So if you have 2000 Eur total in speedtrap tickets you would have to pay only half of it.

If you don't pay it yourself, the next time police caught you for bad driving they would make you pay it. And you would pay all 100% of it. Also the cops might get some % of it.

There could also be some sort of Most Wanted list of people with most unpayed speedtrap fines.
I'll have to admit Barney's pretty much on point. I've grown to almost not deploy speedtraps myself to not look like a annoyance. And it ruins chase opportunities as well.

I'd say, not remove, but enforce more strict rules on how a speedtrap can be justified to be used.

Such as, in cases of an accident/hazard, a roadwork, or an area of road where accidents have suddenly spiked due to recklessness. Something similar along these lines, but I'd say enforce a rule which mandates a speedtrap can only be used to reduce risk or protect a stretch of road, not just anywhere, just for fun. And if someone asks the cop, he must provide a valid statement why.
I dont mind them, will use them when and as i want.

I think we would be taking a step back by removing them.

The majority of players can more than cover the speedtrap fines regardless of how large they are.

Perhaps getting caught once is annoying however the fact is the speedtrap doesnt tend to move from lap to lap.
I use speedtrap when i see constantly speeding cars (and Bee's XFR..just kidding) on the same road, horning on me, doing closecalls to provoke a chase. Often those are "lagy suspects" so i set a speedtrap to let them pay for it and also to save my nerves from lag hits and flying.

What i suggest is - disable autofines from speedtrapping and transfer leasered measuring to cop chat like !cop Suspect <name> clocked <xx km/h> <fine> and it is upt to lasering cop if he chase him or others who see him can chase him cuz the evidence is recorded. It can prevent "copy > type !c "paste" if you knkw what i mean. Also when ppl ask in cop chat "anyone lasering?, i am waiting" - transfering !speedtrap to this would be usefull

It is because normal speedtraps are nkt fining ppl automaticly, there must be a second car ready to chase
Keep speedtrap fines and have them go into a prize pot for the next gumball...or remove them entirely. taxation is theft.
Administrator Message by: Shino

2.5. Do not post in threads which have had no new replies in the last 30 days.
Reference URL's