[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Octavia Replacement (for a Volvo)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Good Evening All,

As the title suggests, I am looking to replace my beloved Octavia MK2 with a Volvo. Reason being, I am sick and tired of being underneath the thing constantly fixing issues that arise all the *Removed* time.

I am currently stuck in a Mexican stand-off with a C30, S40 and V50. Bearing in mind I am looking for a DRIVe variant (1.6 Turbo Diesel with long gearing) for a more economical run to work and back every day. Would prefer something in the 2007-2010 range. The Mondeo is only good when I'm posted out to other places in the UK/countries, when I need to do a long distance journey. And the Octavia just drinks and drinks petrol. I just want a reliable, economical car that's 'sensible' with a bit of style.

I should mention that the insurance on all 3 are about the same. Don't really care about boot space, the hearse (Mondeo) suits my needs.

Anyone have any experience with cars mentioned above? Any pros and cons? Anything to look out for?

Thank you all in advance!
Hi,

Firstly, if you want a DRIVe version - forget the S40. It is way too old and doesn't have this engine; however it has DCi engines from Renault -which we had in our family for over than 250k km- and they're really economic as long as they're well maintained and serviced.

Then, I would simply go for the C30. Why? You already have two "tanks" at home. You're searching for an economical car. Then, the C30 is smaller, lighter, and probably more recent so maybe with less mileage on the clock. Meaning that less fuel will be burnt, and tyre wear will be less important (of course depending of your driving). I don't know the prices in UK but in France the old Volvos are quite expensive compared to the newer ones so that's up to you really.

EDIT: it looks like the C30 is as heavy as the V50. Forget the weight then.
Have you considered something that is not a volvo? I'm sure there are nice German or Japanese branded cars that will suit you just as well or if not better.
Never touching another German car again, German Engineering my arse. There isn't really a Japanese car to suit my needs for the same price range as the Volvo, only looking to spend like around £4000.
Dont get 1,6 drive Peugeot engine, better with 2,0d parts from Ford
I would skip the 1.6 too and take a 2.0d even if it drinks a little more. Was recently in one with nearly 400 000 kms and it drove like new despite only having the normal maintenance done to it. (No major engine work done to it, original turbo etc.)
(2018-04-16 15:33)Jimmy Wrote: [ -> ]Dont get 1,6 drive Peugeot engine, better with 2,0d parts from Ford

The Ford engine is PSA (Peugeot), the Mondeo runs a 2.0 PSA Turbo Diesel.

Edit: Also Jimmy, Peugeot Diesels are some of the most reliable engines around these days, the one in the Mondeo, the block design is around 20 years old, everything else is pretty much strapped onto it.
Not sure if its different than the u.s. (most likely not), but if you are tired of working on your vehicle..Volvo is not the answer.
Get a V70 D5, problem solved. Why half arse it when you can full arse it?
[Image: sumomQY.jpg]

V50 is comfy car i like it plus very cheap to drive 2,0d is alright engine
Have you had anything go wrong with it yet Jimmy?
The subwoofer in the boot falls over when he corners too hard.
(2018-04-17 09:40)Owl Wrote: [ -> ]Have you had anything go wrong with it yet Jimmy?

Nope nothing yet
(2018-04-17 09:56)Nick Wrote: [ -> ]The subwoofer in the boot falls over when he corners too hard.

lmao
(2018-04-17 09:56)Nick Wrote: [ -> ]The subwoofer in the boot falls over when he corners too hard.

Nha its securedSmile
[Image: uCvt1iM.jpg]

Only some can go wrong is front tyresBlushing i did order two today xD
That's very helpful purchasing advice, Jimmy.
Good to see that Jimmy hasn't changed nor has Leon Wink.

Jimmy he is talking about things outside of general maintenance. We all know cars use up tires, Brake pads, discs, fuel, etc.
(2018-04-16 10:21)Owl Wrote: [ -> ]Never touching another German car again, German Engineering my arse. There isn't really a Japanese car to suit my needs for the same price range as the Volvo, only looking to spend like around £4000.

How to hell do u expect to find a reliable german car for that budget?
Because there are no reliable German Cars RJ, they all have minor/major COMMON faults that go wrong and burn a hole in your wallet when they do go wrong.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's