[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Google Fiber
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://fiber.google.com/plans/residential/

Too bad this is only in two cities in the US so far, but obviously we will see this expanding. And oh my god, 125mbps (if I did the conversion right) with unlimited bandwidth for $70/month. Me gusta.
Google is seriously doing some good stuff out there, at several markets at a time.
And, isn't 1gb 1024mb? Would make it 1024mb/s for 70$/month + taxes & fees.
(2012-07-27 00:26)KaraK Wrote: [ -> ]Google is seriously doing some good stuff out there, at several markets at a time.
And, isn't 1gb 1024mb? Would make it 1024mb/s for 70$/month + taxes & fees.

1 gigabit not gigabyte. That would be absolutely incredible. They also have guaranteed free internet for 7 years at 1mbps for a $300 one-time fee, which is also really good if you're just a normal internet user.
That's ... neat

Really hope it takes off, if it's successful it might reach us in other places around the world :]

My other concern is with Google getting so big it will become a huge target for government censorship however.
Anything to do with google is amazing. (apart from google+, that kinda sucks ;D)
(2012-07-27 00:29)Sinoco Wrote: [ -> ]1 gigabit not gigabyte. That would be absolutely incredible. They also have guaranteed free internet for 7 years at 1mbps for a $300 one-time fee, which is also really good if you're just a normal internet user.

Ah, right. Smile
In that case, your calculations are right

True, I've looked at the website you linked, some amazing deals.
The chromebook initiative is also great, but I think it's too much of a change.

(2012-07-27 00:35)SLiiDE Wrote: [ -> ](apart from google+, that kinda sucks ;D)

And Google Docs in some sort Tongue
Really don't like how it works. Great that you can share and edit it with more people at once, but the normal Word or w/e just has more stuff for editing.
This is the tech area, so you should know (and use) this stuff to avoid confusion:

b = bit; B = byte

1gbit = 1gbps = 1gb/s = 1 gigabit per second = 1,000 megabit = 1000,000 kilobit etc.
1mb/s is often known as 1 'meg' w.r.t. internet connections.
lower case g/m/k when used w.r.t network speeds usually means base 10, ie 10^3 = 1000

1GB/s = 1 gigabyte per second = 1024 MB/s = 1048576 KB/s
upper case G/M/K when used w.r.t network speeds usually means base 2, ie 2^10 = 1024

1 byte = 8 bits

1gbps = 125 MB/s

Consider yourself lern'd Wink
lol Elmo you've done your homework Smile
on topic :

Sweet, looking forward to this. Wink
Looks awesome, but I highly doubt it'll ever reach Denmark. Nor my street, which haven't even got Fiber cables yet... Closedeyes
Anyway... I love this Wub

Reference URL's