[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Military Road Nearly Gone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not many people are aware of the erosion around the isle of wight. But in recent years there is one particular road that has nearly vanished due to cliff face erosion. This is the latest picture of Military Road (well what's left of it)

[Image: mili-road-wareham-1.jpg]

P.S That's not me in the picture either. Also your now not allowed to walk your dogs along there its complelety closed off and one side of the road has red barriers stopping access on the left side of a long stretch of the road. IOW council have said if we have more then expected rainfall in next 12 months then most of the cliff face will erode much faster and then Military Road will then be closed for all traffic and re-diverted.

The cliff edge is now only one metre away from the road

[Image: military-road-jason-swain.jpg]
Wow thats looking bad, wasnt that bad last summer.
So pretty much the Island will eventually just disappear? Sad
Welcome to nature
(2012-08-07 07:17)Jedi Wrote: [ -> ]Wow thats looking bad, wasnt that bad last summer.
yay it's much worse, the carpark we parked in on military road is now also gone Jedi. They are putting the excessive cliff erosion this yr down to the amount of rainfall in recent months

A few statistics

The island is loosing its coastal line quite fast. The Isle of Wight used to be approx 26miles x 13.5 now
the island is 22.5 miles from east to west, 13 from north to south, the coastal line is vanishing so fast that alot of rural areas are now non passable

It's pretty scary, i myself am an islander and love living here but over the last 10 yrs there have seen 12 homes lost to the eroding coastal line

This video shows how quickly the island is shrinking, and bare in mind it is also 5 yrs old the video.
This is from last summer,taken from the carpark.

[Image: DSC01592.jpg]
[Image: DSC01594.jpg]
[Image: DSC01593.jpg]
On the last picture you can see the cars driving between the two hills, the otherside of that is were they have closed the section of Military Road off. The 1st picture shows the Road section as you pass though the hills which is closed to left lane traffic as its now only a metre away from the road the eroding cliff face as you can see from the IOW bus on my 1st picture.
Reference URL's