[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Need a Laptop for a friend.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A friend of mine really wants a computer, to play games like Minecraft and TF2, and whatever else, but wants something to carry around, so portability is a concern, as well as budget.
He doesn't have a specified budget, but I guess it's under $1000 $900, and he earns $800 monthly.

Are there any good brands/models worth checking out? he liked the ASUS RoG laptops when we looked in store, despite the price tag. I have also considered Sager.
I have an Asus U56E and it's played every game I've tried except for GTA IV, including Minecraft and TF2. I believe it was around $500... cheap thing considering what I can do with it.
Asus N-series are good. Also the MSI GE60 should be very good.
The new Dell XPS 15.

Looks really good for the price.
Interesting choices.

He's wanting something that would be close to a decent PC, and he knows nothing about computers.
Sager seems to be the best for the price. NP 6165 for $950 USD (936 CAD) with a GT 650m and the i5-3210m, or USD1019/CAD1004 for the i7 upgrade. Currently they have a free upgrade to either a 500GB HDD+4GB SSD or a 750GB HDD. You can also add a second hard drive to it at a later time.

[Image: 6165.png]

Lamp, I don't know how much it is in the UK, but it's shit for the price here. $1300 for a GT 630m and the 3210m?! The 15r Special Edition is worthy of consideration, though. The 7730m performs just under a 640m LE, last time I checked.

From my extensive window shopping an research, Sager provides the best customization and performance for the price. $1500 with Sager buys you the beast, versus MSI and ASUS. $1000 alone gets you a quad core and the GT 650m, which is actually really powerful for a mobile GPU, and you get a full HD screen to gawk at. Smile
Maybe $1000 is a bit too much of a price I guess, seems a bit overkill (for him at least) on what you can get.

These are my Sager considerations as of today.

This one is larger than the one below, but it has a lesser graphics performance. it also has a greater amount of choices for the CPU.
http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?p...ame=NP3260

The fact this one is small is what I think would benefit him the most here. He would carry his laptop everywhere. I know this has a 650m, which should be more than enough for him, but considering he wants to play some games on it, it should be fine.
http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?p...ame=NP6110
Sager has the best value. Smile If he's carrying it around anywhere then I recommend the 6110. It's probably the best performing 11" I've seen. The 650m is plenty of graphics power. The limited choice of CPU isn't a big deal. Most people wouldn't get more than the base i7, any more isn't needed. Make sure the hard drive is a 7200rpm. Yes, it uses more power but a 5400rpm makes my laptop feel very sluggish with a full hard drive.

The cheaper one does have a full HD screen, but 1366x768 on the 11" will probably look stunning.

The 6110 is a better value. Twice the ram, better graphics, and a more compact build for only $50 more is really worth it. The lower resolution won't matter. Smile
It's in his hands now, let's see which one he chooses. Also, let's see if he can scrape up enough for it. He keeps spending his money on video games every 1-3 months.
Asus N73SM is good i have it Tongue and it run tf2 and minecraft Biggrin in finland it cost 890€
(2012-09-26 13:37)BMW93 Wrote: [ -> ]Asus N73SM is good i have it Tongue and it run tf2 and minecraft Biggrin in finland it cost 890€

it's over $1000 in North America.
Oh ok :/ Asus N53SM is good tho. just little smaller screen.
Its very cheap in The Netherlands around 700,-
Reference URL's