[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Flight radar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well got this from another forum

http://www.flightradar24.com/

it's pretty epic, shows flights, speeds, altitudes and what planes they are in real time.

if you zoom out you can see what's causing global warming Wink
Thats old Tongue
Might be old, but i couldnt remember where to find it, so thanks for the link Smile
(2012-09-07 20:00)-Hasu- Wrote: [ -> ]Thats old Tongue

[Image: look-that.gif]
I hate flying but this somewhat comforts me.

I mean, look how many planes are in the air at one time and there's not even one plane crash every day. Smile
Yea, big respect to the air traffic controllers that 99% of people who go on holiday don't realise they keep them from crashing Smile
(2012-09-07 21:37)BoyPower Wrote: [ -> ]I hate flying but this somewhat comforts me.

I mean, look how many planes are in the air at one time and there's not even one plane crash every day. Smile

You're far more likely to die in a crash on the way to the airport than you are on the plane. Flying is the safest form of transport bar none.

That site's pretty cool - It's accurate enough to watch them taxiing at my local airport on satellite view.
(2012-09-08 14:30)Elmo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-07 21:37)BoyPower Wrote: [ -> ]I hate flying but this somewhat comforts me.

You're far more likely to die in a crash on the way to the airport than you are on the plane. Flying is the safest form of transport bar none.

That site's pretty cool - It's accurate enough to watch them taxiing at my local airport on satellite view.

Useless statistic is useless.

I'm 64 million times more likely to die today(!!!!) than I am to ever win the lottery. < Pretty accurate, but still pretty useless.

Again, useless statistic is useless.

Btw, I assume he has an irrational fear of flying, which wouldn't be irrational if it was rationalised down to a statistic.
Well, I'm not gonna pick up on that post Wink , however the app is great. Its fun guessing a plane's altitude or distance and then checking how close it was. I live approx. 25km north of an international airport but I can clearly hear the planes above, mostly departing or arriving from the UK or North America.

The German air traffic board offers this fancy java app, which shows live traffic or historic flights. Nice to see where the actual air corridors are:
[Image: Image1.jpg]

source: http://www.dfs.de/dfs/internet_2008/modu...index.html
It's interesting to see the holding patterns around major airports such as London Heathrow at busy periods - All incoming planes typically spend a good amount of time in one of three major holding pattern locations, one of which very close to where I live, about 30 miles from the airport
I'm amazed that the whole United states is crammed with planes, while there aren't as many anywhere else, such as the other countries.
Same with middle EU Tongue

EDIT: Reading the other posts, it's funny that I like speeding and driving a bit recklessly but I'm afraid of flying Laugh
(2012-09-09 17:23)Zipppy Wrote: [ -> ]I'm amazed that the whole United states is crammed with planes, while there aren't as many anywhere else, such as the other countries.

That depends whether the planes are equipped with ADS-B transponders (which are only mandatory in the USA by 2020, iirc) and whether there are receptors. Meaning ground stations receiving that signal and relaying it to, for instance, flight radar.
Hexta Wrote:if you zoom out you can see what's causing global warming

That's quite illogical, imagine if there was a system for every car for instance. Then take a guess at what contributes most heavily to co2 emissions! Tongue

Cool site though, not seen it before.
I'm curious as to why Brazil and the middle east never seem to have many planes pass through it. Either doesn't get updated or it's rare to get flights around them areas.
(2012-09-09 20:22)Hexta Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious as to why Brazil and the middle east never seem to have many planes pass through it. Either doesn't get updated or it's rare to get flights around them areas.

As Chuck stated above.

Only planes with ADS-B transponders within the range of an ADS-B receiver which is linked up to Flightradar24.com will show up.

On their site they are asking for people to set more receivers up and link it up.

My assumption is that, Brazil and the middle east, have fewer receivers.
I'm amazed at the knowledge here. I'm currently in my third year of an air traffic control major at Kent State University. Dealing with a single airport and sorrounding airspace is chopstick enough to allow us to make 6 figures pretty easily, but enough to create one of the highest suicide rates per employee lol. I love this career field and it's really cool to see the planes take off and land. Especially because by law they have to listen to you. The coolest footage of this however is the 9/11/2001 footage of all the aircraft above the US being grounded in a matter of hours. Without a single issue, collision, or wreck.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=bo1ZtpKql...o1ZtpKqlYw
(2012-09-13 22:59)Blade3562 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm amazed at the knowledge here. I'm currently in my third year of an air traffic control major at Kent State University. Dealing with a single airport and sorrounding airspace is chopstick enough to allow us to make 6 figures pretty easily, but enough to create one of the highest suicide rates per employee lol. I love this career field and it's really cool to see the planes take off and land. Especially because by law they have to listen to you. The coolest footage of this however is the 9/11/2001 footage of all the aircraft above the US being grounded in a matter of hours. Without a single issue, collision, or wreck.

Have you ever watched the video of the AAL plane landing in JFK that basically said "give us this runway or we're going to declare an emergency and land on it anyways." Tongue
(2012-09-14 00:18)Sinoco Wrote: [ -> ]Have you ever watched the video of the AAL plane landing in JFK that basically said "give us this runway or we're going to declare an emergency and land on it anyways." Tongue

Might have been a joke (probably fake?). Haven't seen it. But declared emergencies automatically produce a lot of paperwork and bureaucratic things. The FAA and NTSB come down, everyone gets interviewed etc the plane and crew may be grounded for days. Nobody would do that if he doesn't really have to Laugh
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's