[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Seagate 3TB Only showing as 746gb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all, Recently bought myself a new 3TB Hard drive to replace my current one. I plan to create a Disk image of my current hard drive and then put it onto my new one so i don't have to reinstall everything Smile

Now, i put the new drive into my external dock (Which does support all types of sata drives of any size) and opened up Computer Management. Under storage the drive is only listed as 746gb. I tried initializing it and formatting it to GPT but it still says 746gb.

Anyone got any ideas?

PC Specs:
AMD FX-4100
Asus M5a78-m USB3 Mobo
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
746GB sounds familiar... a quick google search tells me why.

What's the model of the dock?
As some motherboards need a driver update to support disks >2.2TB, you may need to update your dock driver/firmware.

You could try plugging the drive in internally to see if that makes any difference.
Yeah I've installed the drive inside my PC and configured it in disk manager and it seems to be fine now. I'm going to copy the disk image tonight and I'll post back if I need any more help. Thanks anyway though Smile
Ive installed the drive, used Acronis Migrate to clone my current hard drive but now i have two problems.

1) The drive says its only 1.99tb when before cloning the drive it was 3tb. In Windows disk manager it says there is 746gb unallocated.

2) Everything i open and run still runs of the old HDD, even though i set the new 3tb one to be primary drive.

Help lol? D:
Do you have Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed ? (although I can't think why, it's not an Intel motherboard) If so, update it. That seems to be the biggest culprit.
Don't have it installed no, Not a single piece of Intel in my PC, so I'm assuming I don't need it?
Hmm you said you cloned the drive? Is the 3TB disk still set to GPT? The cloning may well have reset it to MBR.
Just checked, and it is in fact MBR. I guess because my original disk isn't GPT either i wont be able to clone the drive and still get use of the full 3tb. Is there any way round that?
If it doesn't give you the option to convert to GPT when you right-click the drive in Disk Management, then no.

However, it might be possible to clone just the partition instead of the whole drive. You will almost certainly need to 'repair' the boot record, as it won't exist.
I've read that there's no difference to the partitions themselves just the boot record, although I've been unable to confirm this.

Edit:
What apparently does work:
Install Windows 7 on the new drive in UEFI+GPT mode (don't bother entering the key, you won't be keeping the install).
Then clone the old partition to overwrite the temporary W7 install.

Just cloning the partition as I originally suggested would probably be quicker though - you'll need to run 'BOOTFIX' or whatever the command is from the windows recovery disc when you're done.
Ok so how would i go about cloning just the one partition?
Thanks for the help by the way Smile
Using Acronis® Migrate Easy 7.0? Dunno how, but it's listed in the "Partition Management" features.
Ok il give it a go tomorrow night and post back results, Haven't the time to do it today.
Looks like i need some more help...

In windows disk manager it says the drive is 3tb (After formatting):
[Image: screenshot1dt.png]
But when i go into Acronis Trueimage to clone it, the drive is listed as 3tb but only has 2tb available:
[Image: screenshot2gj.png]

I don't know how else i can get around this, seeing as i've never used such large disks before i've never had this problem and don't know what else to try Sad

EDIT: After an hour or two i've managed to clone my existing drive onto the new drive with only a 2tb capacity. Then used Acronis to turn the remaining 746gb into another virtual drive. Not my ideal resolution but definatly happy Shy
Thanks for all the help Smile
Like I said, when you clone it Acronis is copying across the MBR which has a 2TB partition limit. From what I can work out, Acronis Migrate can't copy just partitions - you'd need one of their more expensive programs for that.

If you're feeling adventurous and your old drive is still working fine, you could try making an image of the partition from the 3TB drive using partimage or similar, saving it to the old disk then set the 3TB to GPT, restore then resize the partition image.
It's not the simplest of things to do as it involves using a Linux liveCD and partimage has a command line style GUI.
Reference URL's