[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Xmas deals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With Christmas right around the corner I'm looking to upgrade my PC as it is THE worst pc to game on. Anyways I was wondering If anyone knows any online websites to buy a pc for a steal. Ty.
I'd recommend you write a budget, what games you are going to play on it, and what pc system you have got currently.

To get the specs of your current setup, go download HWMonitor and install it. Run it after the install and do a screendump for us. Smile
Also good to know: What resolution do you use on your screen?
Cola - Im not going to post a screenie cause its just sad but i will post specs.
Processor - Intel CeleronD CPU 3.46Ghz, single processor.
1.50GB Ram.
64MB GPU Card.

Michi - 1280 by 1024.

ED: I'm not looking to play every game on PC but I want one that can handle LFS with no problems at all and maybe BF2, CS, some other games.
Currently Staples is having like $200 off their laptops. Saw an HP Envy dv6 with a nice Next Gen A8 for $500.

Best Buy always has good Xmas deals. I bought my old computer for $460 on Dec 26, 2009 (E5300, 4GB DDR2 RAM, monitor, 750GB Seagate drive, SuperMulti drive). Not bad.

Usually the APU systems will be dirt cheap, and they're pretty good.

What about Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

Edit - A smart choice would be to buy a cheaper computer with integrated graphics and pick up a graphics card separately.
(2012-10-31 20:48)Kenwood Wrote: [ -> ]What about Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

This. There are a lot of good deals in the US over that weekend.

(2012-10-31 20:48)Kenwood Wrote: [ -> ]Edit - A smart choice would be to buy a cheaper computer with integrated graphics and pick up a graphics card separately.

The hard part - making sure the PSU isn't cheap crap and is actually capable of running dedicated graphics. That or figure in the price of a new, good quality PSU when shopping around.
(2012-10-31 21:51)Elmo Wrote: [ -> ]The hard part - making sure the PSU isn't cheap crap and is actually capable of running dedicated graphics. That or figure in the price of a new, good quality PSU when shopping around.

Most cheap computers have mystery brand PSUs, especially the ones sold here. I'd add in an Antec VP-450 if he chooses that route. It's the best PSU under $40. Add a 7770 and it's a $170 upgrade from probably a $400 computer.
Cyber Monday is probably the best time I will be ordering a pc. When they put deals up Ill be posting links here for a couple of options I will be choosing to order. If someone can help me choose that will be grateful. Ty. Smile
What's your budget? I usually file through online retailers for cheap computer parts, if I see something in your budget that's a good deal I'll send a link. Smile
Pretty nice find Hexta. Pretty sure I'm going to be ordering this soon. Thx. Smile
Even comes with the mouse and keyboard I believe. But at your resolution it should have no problem handling most games. (Specially with that AMD 6 core)
The GT 610 is awful. Jappe has a 6100 system with a GT 610 and it barely got 40 fps on LFS.

CyberpowerPC uses shit PSUs in their cheaper systems.

If I were you, I'd lean toward something with a better graphics card (even if it's just a little) and probably an Intel. You don't need anything built for multitasking, and would probably benefit from single-core performance since it's primarily a gaming system, right?
Don't you guys in america have bigger sales after christmas?
Not to sure. I do know there is Black Friday along with cyber Monday both being in this month.
(2012-11-02 22:35)ChrisM Wrote: [ -> ]Don't you guys in america have bigger sales after christmas?

Not as big as Black Friday.
Black Friday (and by recent extension, Cyber Monday) is the equivalent of after Christmas, but for their first Christmas (Thanksgiving) instead of proper Christmas.
(2012-11-03 16:35)Elmo Wrote: [ -> ]Black Friday (and by recent extension, Cyber Monday) is the equivalent of after Christmas, but for their first Christmas (Thanksgiving) instead of proper Christmas.

Elmo....just no. Thanksgiving is not Christmas. Christmas is a Christian holiday while Thanksgiving is a national holiday. Thanksgiving celebrates the Pilgrims arriving in North America and their first feast with the Native Americans. We don't receive gifts on Thanksgiving because it's a time of being thankful for what we have and what we have achieved.

Please don't be ignorant like that again, at least I Google things I don't know before talking about them as if I know them.

Only on Black Friday do thousands of people wait in lines to get into national "Big Box" stores. After Christmas is much more toned down and is much less panicky. The deals are also a little better on Black Friday, but are generally not worth being run over by a madman with a loaded shopping cart.

Black Friday 2011 - Hundred of people line of at Best Buy at 8:30PM, wrapping around the building (Click to View)

And this was as Toys R Us in Middletown NY at 9:00PM. Most of the people are white trash here, so they would do anything for a good deal.

Cyber Monday was just popularized last year, but I didn't see as many good deals on online retailers. Of course Apple had products on sale (which was shocking) but other than that I didn't see as many deals as Black Friday.

Last year 2/3 of the population took part in Black Friday. It's huge.

Next time, just *Removed* google it. Even Wikipedia was correct.
Yes, I know it's not really the same thing, I was being deliberately over-simplistic and also making some observations to the similarities from the point of view of an outsider.

The history and background etc is entirely different (although is actually largely ignored by many people these days).
However, the actual process of it - especially the bits surrounding being with family and the various things that go along with it - is very, very similar. Turkey dinner anyone?

I do however have to correct you on Christmas - the name and some of the traditions do come from a Christian background, however a large proportion of it is actually Pagan or related to other old European traditions/festivals. Santa, the tree, presents, the time of year and nearly everything other than the nativity have nothing at all to do with Christianity.

Quote:Only on Black Friday do thousands of people wait in lines to get into national "Big Box" stores. After Christmas is much more toned down and is much less panicky.
However, in the UK (and probably various other parts of the world), this happens on Boxing Day, which is another massive link to Christmas, especially in the context of this thread. However, as with many things, it's more extreme in the US.
I am very thankful on thanksgiving, usually for the gifts I receive.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's