[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: [SOLVED] Trackball vs Traditional Mouse?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone,

I have a little question, and that is what are the benefits of a trackball mouse (Logitech M570 for example) compared to a traditional mouse? What I mean is, what would be good uses for a trackball vs a normal mouse?

Also, does anyone in the community have one and would have anything to share?

Thanks in advance.
I never used a trackball or know how it works, but I'd imagine a mouse is easier to use, but thats just me because I learned how to use a computer with a mouse, Usually the one you learn with is the easiest. Smile
Yes I do agree with your statement, but I have read that trackballs can help with wrist pain and allow greater precision.
Is a trackball only with your thumb? If so I can imagine heavy thumb pains after long periods of using it. Rather use my full arm to move the mouse Tongue
Depending on the model of mouse, but the one that I'm looking at is thumb driven.

I mostly have wrist pains of 90 minutes of web design a day at school and it's tiring.

My thumbs are very active too but they rarely hurt after a lot of use (all of my posts are thumb typed. Tongue).
You type with your thumbs? Tongue
On my iPod, yes.
Ooo, I thought your keyboard lol Tongue
Nope, I kinda can't use a computer without a working motherboard, don't know if you have signatures enabled, my signature references that I my computer isn't working. Tongue

Still, anyone else? I'm thinking about whether to get either the Logitech Performance Mouse MX or the Logitech Trackman M570, for my near future computer build.
I would just go with a regular mouse, unless your wrist really bothers you that much.

Put it this way, why switch if you don't have to? You might use the trackball for a while, then go to the library or something or school, and use a regular mouse. It'll just be easier on your brain for using a regular mouse since you learned it first, and know it the best.

Plus, you might have the same pains in your wrist if you buy it, or there's the possibility of not liking it.
I've always found them interesting and nice to use, but I guess I can get a nice mouse to use instead.

Thanks everyone!

This question has been solved
hmm, bit late, but i've been using one for years and years now. until half a year ago I even played LFS with it.
my personal opinion is that a trackball puts less strain on your arm and you can make do with less room on your desk for it.
or in a shootergame, just flick your thumb and turn 180 around, no need to lift mouse up or anything like that.
better late than never lol
Hmm, thanks for answering. I think I'll stick with a regular mouse though, but thanks for the info!
Reference URL's