[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Question about Windows 7 + XP...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone,

I have a couple questions about Windows 7 and XP...

First question: Can I copy Windows XP to another hard drive to store (not use) while reformatting the original drive, then put the XP files back on it?

Hardware: I have an old Dell XPS Gen 2 with Windows XP Home SP2 32-bit on a corrupted 200GB IDE hard drive.

What I want to do: I want to copy all data from the drive to another drive to store it, but not use it on that drive, and reformat the original drive, then put all of the XP files back onto the drive and use that drive as usual.

Will it work fine? I don't think I have the XP reinstallation disc from when the computer was purchased 8 years ago, and I'm not looking forward to having to buy XP off of eBay.

Second Question: Am I able to transfer an OEM Windows 7 install to an SSD from the hard drive it's installed on?

Or would I need to see if I can get a 7 reinstallation disc from Acer/emachines?

Thanks,

I can add more information if needed.
Ive Done a similar job my self, most of it should be move to spare drive and move back when done ? just got to change the compatibility file if done work due to OS change..

you will not be able to copy over windows from drive to drive as the folder was created with the specs on that that drive and mardware, moving the folder over will corrupt it and will either boot loop or stick on repair for hours on end doing nothing..

i hope that helps sort of, im not the best at pcs as fairly new to it all (3 yrs)
For the XP job I just need to reformat the hard drive it's installed on, like I won't use XP on another drive, just storing it. So I can't use XP anymore then?

What I'm trying to say is:

Take Windows XP and all data on a corrupted hard drive, place it on another drive temporarily, format the drive that XP is removed from and after it's formatted, put all of the XP files back on it as if nothing happened. So I can't do that?

edit: Actually, wouldn't I just uninstall Windows and download it again and use the product key that's on the sticker on the tower?
most probably will work if you make a full backup, which can be restored after format. not sure, but it might work for your win7 problem as well.
Take Windows XP and all data on a corrupted hard drive, place it on another drive temporarily, format the drive that XP is removed from and after it's formatted, put all of the XP files back on it as if nothing happened. So I can't do that? - yes you can do that Smile

yes just download and use key Smile if not find a code off net i think by now xp codes are being giving away Tongue
1. There's no point in trying to copy the entire windows installation from a corrupt drive - it'll probably fail to backup anyway.
Copy the files/settings you want to keep and do a clean install.
If the drive is corrupt (ie lots of bad sectors) you probably don't want to use it again, even after a full reformat. Sometimes you'll never have a problem again, but more likely than not it'll just get corrupt again.

2. Yes, you can transfer a W7 install to another drive, but you will temporarily need a third hard drive with enough space. However, it's quite complicated. I was thinking of doing the same and found this: http://www.pagestart.com/win7bckuprstrnhd072610.html however, I'll probably just to a clean reinstall.

Finally, yes you can do a clean install using the sticker key on your PC, however the install disc you use has to match the type of key. IE, not all XP Pro discs are the same.
(2011-11-01 00:30)Ganjaman Wrote: [ -> ]most probably will work if you make a full backup, which can be restored after format. not sure, but it might work for your win7 problem as well.
The 7 question is just a recreational desire, not a problem. Tongue

(2011-11-01 00:32)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]Take Windows XP and all data on a corrupted hard drive, place it on another drive temporarily, format the drive that XP is removed from and after it's formatted, put all of the XP files back on it as if nothing happened. So I can't do that? - yes you can do that Smile

yes just download and use key Smile if not find a code off net i think by now xp codes are being giving away Tongue
I'd like to stay legal. Tongue

(2011-11-01 00:45)Elmo Wrote: [ -> ]1. There's no point in trying to copy the entire windows installation from a corrupt drive - it'll probably fail to backup anyway.
Copy the files/settings you want to keep and do a clean install.
If the drive is corrupt (ie lots of bad sectors) you probably don't want to use it again, even after a full reformat. Sometimes you'll never have a problem again, but more likely than not it'll just get corrupt again.

2. Yes, you can transfer a W7 install to another drive, but you will temporarily need a third hard drive with enough space. However, it's quite complicated. I was thinking of doing the same and found this: http://www.pagestart.com/win7bckuprstrnhd072610.html however, I'll probably just to a clean reinstall.

Finally, yes you can do a clean install using the sticker key on your PC, however the install disc you use has to match the type of key. IE, not all XP Pro discs are the same.
1. Ok I can spend a few dollars on a new drive. I have the original drivers and I might be able to dig out the original OS disc or just snatch the Vista disc from my mom's faulty M1330 and upgrade the ram.

2. I still plan on using the drive it's already installed on, the SSD is to improve file browsing (It takes way to long on a 5400RPM) and reduced boot time, and I'll invest in larger SSD's as they get cheaper.

2.5. Thanks for that link, I'll hold on to it and read it when I have the time.

3. That was a bit unclear, do you mean XP discs work with the same version and the product key (ie. Home with Home, Pro with Pro)?

Most would say, just buy a new copy of Windows (about the XP), but I'm too cheap to spend $100 on an OS unless I need to, my next computer that I'm building in December will have Windows 7 along with my currrent PC at the same desk, 3 PC's with W7 is pointless at the same desk, WinXP is good for compatibility testing with my software.
(2011-11-01 02:05)Kenwood Wrote: [ -> ]do you mean XP discs work with the same version and the product key (ie. Home with Home, Pro with Pro)?

Not quite. There are three (iirc) different types of key for each level of windows XP.
So:
Home: Retail, OEM, VLK
Pro: Retail, OEM, VLK
The key on the sticker will most likely be OEM or VLK.
Would you mind clarifying what VLK means if you could? Smile
Volume License Key if i'm not mistaken Smile
Wich basicly means, a license for a company. More then 25 clients on one key, if I'm right.
I would assume that it's OEM, the computer is your average XPS from 8 years ago. Tongue
OK, thanks for the replies.

I have another question that's not exactly worthy of a new thread but is still related to the OP;

Is Windows (OEM version) locked to a specific motherboard that it's installed already on? Why I'm asking is because my computer needs a new motherboard, and I don't want to use the same model of motherboard that I previously used for overclocking reasons.

So, is an OEM-Windows installation only usable on the same motherboard it's installed on? Or can I use a different model with everything OK?

Thanks in advance.
OEMs are usually bound to the original hardware. At least, that is what Microsoft wishes, but their license conditions are sometimes not compatible with local laws.
Like in Germany for instance. Here you can use those licenses on any other
pc you want. They are locked in the first, but you can call MS and they unlock
it instantly. Myself did that 2 times already.
I've used the same OEM key on about 5 different PCs (although not at the same time). The automatic activation always worked, I've never had to phone MS.
Reference URL's