[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Inserting CD freezes PC [SecuROM Issue? Corrupted drive?]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been having this annoying issue with my CD drive, every time I insert a disk, it freezes Windows Explorer, and after about a minute or so, it freezes the whole system, locking everything up, even the sound.

I've been noticing this has been happening since I installed DiRT 2 on my PC via DVD. Since DiRT 2 uses SecuROM for DRM (I've been reading that it corrupts disk drives), it possibly has corrupted the drive itself, making me with two options: sending the drive back for replacement at the store, or doing RMA via the manufacturer.

The model is an ASUS DRW-24B1ST drive. Is there a way to fix this issue software-wise? The only difference in this situation, from my old PC, I don't have a virtual drive software installed (like Daemon tools, etc). When I had DiRT 2 installed on my old setup, it took forever to read any CD, and it kept trying to move the head back and forth repeatedly.
in device manager uninstall the drivers for it then reboot your pc and it will auto reinstall its own drivers.. see how that works
I tried that, no avail.
I'll give it one more try. Will edit this post with with an update.

EDIT: nope.
I connected it via a USB HDD enclosure, and it is working normally.
Reference URL's