[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Secondary HDD making games lag/ Graphics card selection help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have 2 HDDs in my PC, both are set up the same, but they have different performances in gaming. I used to have two WDCs, but the mainboard shorted out somehow on the secondary one, so I got a Seagate Barracuda of the same size (320 GB) and RPM (7200) from a spare parts box in the basement as a temporary replacement, and since then, the games installed on it lag.

The ones affected the most are Rigs of Rods, Source engine based games (TF2, HL2, etc.) and Crashday. I've noticed when this sort of lag occurs, the CPU usage drops drastically, from 60% to 10%, at least in RoR, and the game becomes unbearably laggy.

the HDD is well defragmented. I've checked with Smart Defrag 2 and the built in utility in Windows. I've installed some games on the primary, and they run better than they did on the secondary (Crashday improved the most). The primary is a 160 GB WDC WD1600JS which has 40 GB free, the secondary one, the Seagate, has at least 130 GB free.

I may call WDC up to see if they can replace the board, but it was made in 2006, same time the WD1600JS was made.

Any ideas on why this could be happening?

Just as a side note, I'm temporarily using a 7600GT, since my 9600GT overheats after 5 seconds, so I'm asking for card suggestions as well. I'm not sure about which brand to get. ATI has the best bang for the buck, but Nvidia is reliable from my experience.
Just to weigh in, there are a couple of different factors affecting HDDs other than just the RPM, for example cache. I'm not an expert in HDDs though so I shall let someone else troubleshoot, but you can get software to checkyour hard disk. the best ones run from a CD you make bootable before windows.

As for nvidia vs ati. It depends on the current cards and your price range as to which happens to be best perforance in each range at the moment. Anyone who triedto tell you one is better is probably just a little fanboyish.
I've been reading similar Seagate HDDs had a firmware issue from those manufactured in December 2008, causing issues in Windows 7. I've checked mine's from 2007, so that's out of the list.

In terms of graphics cards, I am looking for something in the $200-$250 envelope, I'm scouring through local shops and some online ones to see what has the best deal. I have my mind set on an HD6870, or a GTX490.
If you can 2x 560Ti's

Or just one 580GTX (SLi in future)
Are those the only games you play? If so you probably won't need (or be able to use) a high end video card if your CPU isn't up to it. If you're only playing source games and a couple of other games like rigs of rods a 9800GT could do most of what you want it to do.

Did you mean a GTX 480? the 490 doesn't exist Wink (despite all the news, there's no hardware to prove it) and the 5xx series has been out for a while now so I doubt someone would make a 'new' card with old tech.
I've got myself a 9800GT a few years ago. It is perfect, but does use all of its GPU power. Even when I play LFS, it uses up to 98%. I also play CoD with it and it runs fine, but also here sometimes 100% GPU usage. I'm planning to buy the GTX 570 by ASUS. It isn't cheap but its worth it in my opinion.

Link: Click me
(2011-11-10 15:16)MvB Wrote: [ -> ]I've got myself a 9800GT a few years ago. It is perfect, but does use all of its GPU power. Even when I play LFS, it uses up to 98%. I also play CoD with it and it runs fine, but also here sometimes 100% GPU usage. I'm planning to buy the GTX 570 by ASUS. It isn't cheap but its worth it in my opinion.

If LFS is using 98% of a 9800GT, then there is something wrong with your computer. Either that, or I just woke up in an alternate reality this morning.
(2011-11-10 15:55)Nitros Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-11-10 15:16)MvB Wrote: [ -> ]I've got myself a 9800GT a few years ago. It is perfect, but does use all of its GPU power. Even when I play LFS, it uses up to 98%. I also play CoD with it and it runs fine, but also here sometimes 100% GPU usage. I'm planning to buy the GTX 570 by ASUS. It isn't cheap but its worth it in my opinion.

If LFS is using 98% of a 9800GT, then there is something wrong with your computer. Either that, or I just woke up in an alternate reality this morning.

I've got my 9800GT for 5 years now, it still works, but I'm waiting for the day that my screen says 'No signal found' during the start-up. Anyway, there is something wrong with the card I agreea dn I don't know how to fix that Mellow
Also, it runs at 602 MHz @ 1.05V. My gadget says that he's got 900 MHz. Anyone know how to fix that?
(2011-11-10 08:37)Stephen Wrote: [ -> ]Are those the only games you play? If so you probably won't need (or be able to use) a high end video card if your CPU isn't up to it. If you're only playing source games and a couple of other games like rigs of rods a 9800GT could do most of what you want it to do.

Did you mean a GTX 480? the 490 doesn't exist Wink
You're correct, It's a 480, so many names to remember.. silly me.

anyway, a 9800GT might go obsolete soon really, I want something that will last a while, and is good on a budget. and a 9800GT cant be found anywhere I'm aware of. I've had my 9600GT for almost 4 years now, and it's struggled at 2048x1152 (native) in some cases. (I tried the Just Cause 2 demo and it struggled to keep 30 FPS, although it was still fun) Once I get a job maybe I'll get a few other parts, as its around time to upgrade my triple core anyway, such as a phenom II quad or six-core. I've been considering new games as well, so I might as well upgrade parts.
Reference URL's