[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Connecting Xbox 360 to tv/speaker system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Not a technical expert me, I need help connecting an xbox 360 to my tv so the sound plays through my sound system (obviously). Can someone tell me what cables I need to do this.

My Xbox came with a Composite AV cable - 1 end fits the xbox, the other end has 1 red, 1 white, 1 yellow wire.

My Sound system back panel looks like the following: (Not my image)
http://i47.tinypic.com/6r0ww0.jpg

The back of my tv panel looks like: (Not my image)
http://cdn.asia.cnet.com/story_media/622.../sc005.jpg

Also has 4x HDMI In and 3 USB in.

The sound system came with 1x "Audio cord with stereo mini-plug"
The tv came with 1x Composite video cable, and 1x Component video cable.

I have a HDMI cable lying around too Smile

Really don't understand what I connect to what, it's probably easier than I am making it. Thanks Smile
In my setup, my Xbox goes to the TV via HDMI, and the TV goes the sound system via TOSLINK.

The Xbox also has an optical TOSLINK port, and judging from the image of the sound system, it has a port for it there too.
[Image: pothtslkcbl1_1_cb.jpg]
Connect the HDMI cable from your xbox to your tv Smile
Looking at the pic of the sound system, it looks like it wants you to do this:

X360 > Soundsystem "GAME IN" (HDMI)
Soundsystem "TV OUT" > TV (HDMI)

With that setup, you can still play music etc from your XBox (if you were to want to do such a thing) without having the TV on.

(2013-05-13 05:29)Zipppy Wrote: [ -> ][Image: pothtslkcbl1_1_cb.jpg]

Gold-plated TOSLINK
facepalm.jpg
I've done exactly as Zippy has said above, but still not getting sound from the sound system. I will go buy another HDMI cable later day or tomorrow and get back here for more help if needed. In the meantime, got my old USB drive working with it, plugged straight into the receiver, and it makes some nice beats Smile
X360 > Soundsystem "GAME IN" (HDMI)

Tried that, didn't work either :/ Tried fiddling with every setting on both remotes and still nothing. $100 of cables and still nothing.
"$100 of cables"? You need to find somewhere else to shop Tongue
HDMI should be ~$3, TOSLINK should be similar.

Anyway, if all else fails, read the manual. The sound system will probably have come with quite a hefty one unless it's crap/used.
If you don't have a manual, what model is it? The Internet will have one somewhere.
If it helps, on the AV-cable the red RCA is right audio channel, the white RCA is left audio channel and the yellow RCA is composite video.

I don't know about HDMI that much.
Try connecting your xbox straight to the TV with the HDMI.
Then connect the TV sound output to your sound system.
The TOSLINK at the TV is an Output, means you will only be able to send sound from the TV to a speaker for example.

Easiest way would be to get a proper hdmi cable to go from your XBox to your sound system.
And then a Hdmi cable from your soundsystem to your TV.
I can't guarantee it will work since I don't know what soundsystem you use and how it works. You should take a look at the manual mate Smile

Edit: Just noticed your post:
(2013-05-14 10:41)ChrisM Wrote: [ -> ]X360 > Soundsystem "GAME IN" (HDMI)

Tried that, didn't work either :/ Tried fiddling with every setting on both remotes and still nothing. $100 of cables and still nothing.

What exactly does not work? No picture, no sound? nothing at all?
(2013-05-14 19:40)Elmo Wrote: [ -> ]"$100 of cables"? You need to find somewhere else to shop Tongue
HDMI should be ~$3, TOSLINK should be similar.

Anyway, if all else fails, read the manual. The sound system will probably have come with quite a hefty one unless it's crap/used.
If you don't have a manual, what model is it? The Internet will have one somewhere.

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/CA02361/...-ray-ready
http://dicksmith.com.au/product/CA02051/...eries-1-5m

Yea it has a huge manual which I have already looked at, not much help. Sony Muteki HTM7 Smile

(2013-05-14 20:56)KaraK Wrote: [ -> ]Try connecting your xbox straight to the TV with the HDMI.
Then connect the TV sound output to your sound system.

Tried that also, picture works, but sound doesn't.
Xbox works fine with the tv/tv speakers, but once I change the settings on the tv remote to use "External speakers" there is no sound.

Bullet: Tried that, picture works but no sound.

TV: LG55ls5700 Sound System: Sony Muteki 7.2
Thanks all for the replies so far Smile
Finally got it solved. After maybe an hour of flicking through the manual and playing around with all the different combinations of settings I fixed the problem.

Thread title can be edited as "solved" Smile
Reference URL's