[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Graphics visualisation problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Folks,
after a power outage while my PC was on, some issues popped up, most of which i could fix myself or which fixed themselves after a restart. The major problem is, the display of games has some errors - for example in ETS2 the AA/AF seems to not work as well as it used to and the objects flicker a lot.

In LFS there are some errors as well, ranging from flickering to white gaps between textures. Installed the newest version of graphic card drivers but the quality didn't change a bit. Also, the errors occur with every driver and lfs display settings, but with the same settings that gave no issues before the outage i get a horrible quality and lots of flickering. What's unusual is, the frames per second quadrupled.
Not sure if it's only a matter of something set-up wrong or reset to default or something bigger.

Any ideas what it could be? Smile

system specs: (Click to View)
Attached a few screenshots from lfs, showing the white lines and settings in LFS.
[attachment=421]
[attachment=422]
[attachment=423]
TL;DR: white lines on track/wheels, wat do?
White lines on the track are normal and can be fixed by changing the Mip biases to (0.0) for road surfaces. All of the Mip biases should be 0.0 ideally. You can find them under the Graphics tab.
Did you try updating your graphics drivers?
If that doesn't work, I think you should first try with a different graphics card (if available), otherwise try changing your PSU. Could be something fried because of the outage.

We lost two power adapters for a network switch and our main router last sunday, as a thunder struck our house, so it does happen. :/
Thanks for the input Smile

@Lamp: Weird. Always used -4.0 or less, the screenshots are taken with a bias of 0.0 though, so it sadly isn't the solution

@Cola: Did an update of the drivers today, sadly don't have any spare parts to try out
Hm I'd say try making a partition on your harddrive (just like 40GB) and just install your Windows version and LFS and test out there. If it works, you just need to reinstall everything, if it doesn't, it's most likely a hardware failure.
I don't really see the problem with your LFS tbh, it's not major at all really, I get weird white lines occasionally I think.
There seem to be two separate problems here.

1. Effects across the road:
Something seems to be odd with with mipmapping in LFS. As soon you install higher texture sizes it will act up like this. I've got those effects as well since I installed a higher resolution pack.

2. Multi-texture interferences: (Mip-mapping sidefeect/error)
Problem: LFS uses mip-maps from textures which actually contain multiple textures.
(Mip maps are just smaller copies of a texture to render things faster which are further away from the viewer.) If you reduce the size of an image, pixels merge. So, if pixels from two adjacent textures merge, you naturally got problems, as suddenly two adjacent textures affect each other.
Imagine one is red and the other one is green. And suddenly smudgy borders appear. This is what happens here.

Example multi-texture:
[Image: Image1.jpg]

However, none of the things above mean your PC is bad. The only bad things is LFS.
Cola, i'd like to reserve this method for a last resort option, thanks! Smile
Chuck, as to 1., tried a clean install of LFS and it's all the same, as to 2. well, all i can say is, the issues just popped up recently, 2 days ago it seemed all fine, or at least not noticeable like it is now.
It might not be anything major, but seeing white lines flicker in the horizont sure affects the immersion Unsure
Thanks guys, the problem has been solved.
Turns out all settings in CCC went to default and i couldnt set it up back the right way, had luck finding a backup of the preferences which had the settings for my games and everything is all right again Laugh

Sorry for the trouble!
-S1
(2013-06-22 14:10)Some0ne Wrote: [ -> ]Turns out all settings in CCC went to default

That's what I guessed when I first read the OP, but it seems I was too late as you already found it out Laugh
(2013-06-22 05:47)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]There seem to be two separate problems here.

1. Effects across the road:
Something seems to be odd with with mipmapping in LFS. As soon you install higher texture sizes it will act up like this. I've got those effects as well since I installed a higher resolution pack.

2. Multi-texture interferences: (Mip-mapping sidefeect/error)
Problem: LFS uses mip-maps from textures which actually contain multiple textures.
(Mip maps are just smaller copies of a texture to render things faster which are further away from the viewer.) If you reduce the size of an image, pixels merge. So, if pixels from two adjacent textures merge, you naturally got problems, as suddenly two adjacent textures affect each other.
Imagine one is red and the other one is green. And suddenly smudgy borders appear. This is what happens here.

Example multi-texture:
[Image: Image1.jpg]

However, none of the things above mean your PC is bad. The only bad things is LFS.

Nice explanation.

Glad you solved the problem S1.
Well, ATI seems to have a fix for that, Nvidia apparently doesn't. At least I haven't found any option solving it. Doesn't bother me too much though.
Reference URL's