[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: RAM Speed. ECC v. Non ECC.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So here's the question,

Recently I've been using my computer for alot heavier tasks than usual, and am finding myself needing an increasing amount of RAM, to the point where 4GB's of ram isn't cutting it and the HDD's having to spin up where i'm starting to dig into the virtual memory.

My computer threw a bluescreen today related to a memory error, and it got me thinking, I know my PC is pretty much built out of a server, and supports ECC. The RAM in my PC atm is non-ECC. I know that ECC RAM takes a speed hit of about 2% from parity checks by doing my homework online.

Here's the thing, I can aquire ECC RAM for about half the price of non-ECC, and I'm not a person with big pockets full of money, a 2% speed hit in RAM doesn't sound like a huge price to pay when I only paid half for the RAM, plus I am less likely to see that blue screen again I am guessing.

Is there anything else I should know about ECC RAM? because presently it sounds to me like the benefits outweigh the costs. I guess RAM Speed (not size) affects loading times and such?
Reference URL's