[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Laptop cooling ideas?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone,

As some of you know I (unfortunately) have a rather high spec HP laptop which in some ways is a tad of a curse.

An [email protected] (turbo boost) with 8gb DDR3 RAM and literally no air flow.

The temperatures around here are 25c-30c so, for gumball, if somebody could give me some ideas to cool it they would be appreciated.

Some of the ideas and systems I use are
-targus chillpad (with fans and icepacks)
-ice cooling blocks under the laptop
-opening all the windows I can (includes about 1000 insects per night)

So if anybody has some ingenious ideas for how to cool a laptop; please tell me. c:
If it overheats , open it and clean it , if not , what i did is that i took a fan from an old desktop computer , made it works with a 220-9V adaptator , put the laptop on some books and the fan under it Tongue
Ice == bad idea, you're likely to kill it with condensation.

Personally, I find just lifting it up (at each corner/foot) by a couple of inches does wonders just by letting the fans get proper air from underneath.

Also, an air duster probably won't hurt.
You can get laptop stands (pound shop!) that, as Elmo said, will prop the rear of it up on a slant. Providing the fan's at the rear of the laptop then the air flow will be clear thus won't be trapped.
When I had my laptop i had a parcel tape, duck tape and a couple of masking and sellotape rolls propping it up to keep it cool, it certainly helped
Put it in a zip lock bag and stick it in the freezer?

ed: bag not back -.-
(2013-07-27 19:58)Stephen Wrote: [ -> ]Put it in a zip lock bag and stick it in the freezer?

ed: bag not back -.-

As Elmo said. The hot air will cool and get less dense and it will no longer be able to hold all the water inside it. -> Desaster

Even if the pc is completely off and the water won't cause a short, the different materials inside it could react with the water and oxygen.

Don't do this.
I don't see any reason to do anything. That's a normal operating temperature and the device should be designed to function there. If a fan is broken, replace it. If you want to spend money, there exist notebook-coolers which are basically plates with some fans in it that blows air to the lowerside of the device. Example device

All experiments with ice or freezers are likely to harm the device and components due to high and rapid temperature changes and/or condensation and strain electronic and mechanical joints. Even the bag-idea, that Cookie mentioned, contains air that condensates.

On a general note, all electronic devices coming from a cold environment (ie stored in a car/post office during a cold night) should acclimatise a couple of hours before started up to avoid the effects described above.
Get it off the table with something in the rear corners, so it can breath properly. Most laptops sucks in air from underneats and front vents, and exhausts it by the larger side exhaust, which HP has so stupidly placed facing at a 45º angle downwards.

Example:
[Image: HP%20PAVILION%20G6-1100TU%20-%20Side-500x500.jpg]
well also take the battery off and on settings put prosessor power from 100% to 99% those will help littlr and two best things clean it and get the raisers Wink
A screen for your window to keep the bugs out? XD
I have a friend who uses an AMD A6 based HP laptop on his bed constantly. I always tell him to get a stand or to leave it on his desk. He complains about heat all the time. He's the type of guy that would ignore advice at first, and then regret doing so greatly later.
For my cheap Advent I just plugged in a bigger fan... I'm not sure if there's space for that in your computer though. (There wasn't really in mine either, if you push the keyboard down hard enough the fan will hit the plastic and make a grinding noise Tongue)
(2013-07-27 20:32)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see any reason to do anything. That's a normal operating temperature and the device should be designed to function there.

I think he meant the ambient air temperature was 25-30c, not the laptop. I doubt a HP could keep its temperature that low unless it was off.

If you can't be bothered buying a stand, try this:

[Image: FBDAE023-6AB0-4ACC-BF78-CD8D12F07441-348...9FA716.jpg]

Crushed can under each rear foot. My laptop still hits 95c~ but without them, the temperature quickly rises and looks like it would easily fly over 100c, but I've not left it on long enough to find out.
(2013-07-28 08:29)Nick Wrote: [ -> ]I think he meant the ambient air temperature was 25-30c, not the laptop

I got that right. I think 25-30°C are quite common temperatures on the so called planet Earth. If the notebook was designed to run only in Mars atmosphere, they'd probably put a sticker on the box saying so.
(2013-07-28 09:13)Chuck Wrote: [ -> ]I think 25-30°C are quite common temperatures on the so called planet Earth.

Try telling that to HP Sad
Mmmm,

My new laptop , after running 6h non stop / gets 39 *C

Not sure if that's much or not , for what i've read , that's quite good.
It is really good Smile
[Image: laptop-in-fridge.jpg]
(2013-07-28 17:28)RedJ Wrote: [ -> ][Image: laptop-in-fridge.jpg]

Oh god.. The soda will be warm Sad
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's