[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: [SOLVED] New CPU hitting 100º at boot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I put my computer together on Monday, and managed to get everything installed without serious problems (some stupid ones, but those were solved quickly).

However I am now running into a serious problem. The stock thermal paste which came with the cpu&cooler, burned and I had to remove it and reapply. So I did. I removed the old paste with a nice removal kit which came with the new paste from CM. It didn't help though, as my BIOS is showing that my CPU is still slowly climbing up from 45º and hitting the 100ºC. I have no OS installed yet.

I am waiting right now to once more reapply the thermal paste, anyone know what I am doing wrong?

CPU: i5 4670 (Haswell, non-K, stock cooler)
MB: MSI Z87-GD65
Paste from Cooler Master, essential E2 I believe
Remember to not take to much paste on it. That will overheat the CPU.
My friend had a problem with his aftermarket cooler where he had incorrectly put the cooler on and there was a slight (under 1mm) gap between one half of the cooler base (the bit which conducts the heat from the thermal paste to the heatsink).

That caused problems similar to yours... So check and make extra sure that the cooler stand is correctly installed and it fits tightly on the base.
Might be a wrong readout if the temperature reader is malfunctioning. But it sounds like you haven't mounted the CPU cooler the right way.
Make sure on the Intel stock coolers you pull up the black toggles and push down until you hear a loud click, make sure each side is done evenly so the paste spreads out. I once did this, its because the heatsink didn't make contact with the CPU because i hadn't pulled the black toggles up before pushing down then locking them.

[Image: lhPpXEX.jpg]

Yes i know shes dusty.. Its this CoolerMaster HAF its like a hover! I need to buy some dust filters for it!
(2013-08-01 12:08)Bez Wrote: [ -> ]Make sure on the Intel stock coolers you pull up the black toggles and push down until you hear a loud click, make sure each side is done evenly so the paste spreads out. I once did this, its because the heatsink didn't make contact with the CPU because i hadn't pulled the black toggles up before pushing down then locking them

Yes i know shes dusty.. Its this CoolerMaster HAF its like a hover! I need to buy some dust filters for it!

This worked for the most part. They're now locked in place. It is no longer reaching the 100, though it is very slowly climbing from 54 upwards. Haven't let it come past 58, but I don't think it's supposed to be this hot at startup? :P
My i5 sits at 30c idle and 60c heavy load. I've never used CoolerMaster Thermal paste so I'm not sure if you need to let the paste evaporate and cure or anything to get stable temps. I just IC Diamond 7 and there's no curing time with it so.

Says >here< theres no curing time so maybe let it run a bit just watch the temps if you get near 100 just shutdown. Possibly you have a faulty CPU (Saying that when i installed my motherboard i was playing Arma3 and forgot to push the fan clip all the way in playing Arma3 for 2 hours without a fan paha reaching 100c)

My PC startup temps just after coming off LFS

[Image: HeiMSC7.jpg]

Also you might find that its still hot from reaching 100c if you turned it off instantly it would still be cooling down without proper cooling so i advise you to run it for a while and keep your eye on the temps.

My temps from sitting idle and reading forums for about 15mins (29c outside Biggrin )

[Image: 3R3XV.png]
I would order some new thermal paste if I was you.

Unmount the heatsink and clean both the CPU and the Heatsink with rubbing alcool. Verify that no leftovers are visible.

Once done, reapply a new dab of thermal paste. Rule of thumb is to apply nothing more than maybe half the size of a small pea.

60 degrees is common for a 100% working CPU, i wouldnt worry about that.

Thanks!
(2013-08-01 12:31)KaraK Wrote: [ -> ]This worked for the most part. They're now locked in place. It is no longer reaching the 100, though it is very slowly climbing from 54 upwards. Haven't let it come past 58, but I don't think it's supposed to be this hot at startup? Tongue

I think thats quite ok. I might be wrong, but from what I heard, the CPU always produces more heat in Bios-Setup / boot time (compared to an desktop@idle) as it is running at full clock rate.
After the boot, the operating system tells the CPU to slow down.

I'd try again and see if it reaches 90+. If not, everything should be fine.
Thanks Chuck.

Installed W7, seems to be working just fine now Smile
Personally i would get rid of the stock cooler, their performance is usually quite poor and they are also much louder.

Decent one for 20 quid will keep your cpu easily below 50° even under load.
Reference URL's