[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Whats a better processor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im attempting to put a computer together for my father inlaw lol. I got two processors to choose from. Which one is better? a AMD Sempron 3100 or Intel P4.

Thanks ladies
Intel P4
Now is that just plug and play?
no, you need a motherboard that support the CPU
Now the cpu is the processor? Sorry im a computer noob lol
CPU = Central Processing Unit = Processor
GPU = Graphics Processing Unit = Graphics Card

Yes, CPU = the processor Smile
Depends which P4.

The Athlon XPs were faster than the equivalently numbered P4, so an Athlon XP 3100+ was faster than a P4 3.1GHz.

The Semperon's were slower than the Athlons, so probably roughly equivalent to the P4 or very slightly slower.
As an example, the Sempron 3100+ is about 2.5% slower than a P4 3.06GHz

If you already have the motherboard you want to use, then the brand of Processor you choose will depend entirely on what the motherboard is.
O ok.... because I have two diff computer one has a p4 and other the amd sempron. But the one with the amd sempron has a internal graphics card which works pretty good and 4 slots for ram the other only has two. Ill just stick with the one with the amd sempron. I just started it up and got it working and it had about 65fps with almost all settings maxed on lfs. So that should work on for him. He got cancer real bad and cant work so i figured something he can play games on and web surf would be a good gift. Thanks much.
Reference URL's