[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: Dual Monitor Setup?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Guys

Havent a clue about graphics cards or anything.

Basically ive got a VGA port for the onboard graphics but that doesnt do anything... Presumably because ive got a graphics card install instead? (correct me if im wrong).

But my graphics card has one VGA port (Which i use for my monitor) and what looks like 2 hdmi ports?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c3wp58sp6qo2j0v/a6dx67wFbJ

Is that correct? And if I get a monitor which supports HDMI, would i be able to get a dual setup through that?

Basically i have an old monitor which is JUST vga enabled, but my TV i use as my screen has 2 HDMI ports. If i use my old monitor on the VGA and my tv for the HDMI, should i instantly have dual screen?

Sorry for the noobyness.

Lol Thanks
One of those HDMI ports look smaller than the other - is it just me? If so I think it would be a mini HDMI (such thing exists afaik).
(2013-08-08 18:34)DanielP Wrote: [ -> ]One of those HDMI ports look smaller than the other - is it just me? If so I think it would be a mini HDMI (such thing exists afaik).

Ones a display port (Right) the the others HDMI (Left)
the HDMI port I believe is a MiniHDMI, so you'll llikely need an adapter.

also..the onboard graphics don't display when a card is installed.
Nope Zippy, Bez is right. Displayport is found on some video cards and its just a different connector to HDMI. I'm using DP for my monitor, because the HDMI from my video card doesn't have the juice to run 2560x1440 and Dual link DVI is a bigger cable and takes up a bit more space at the back of my PC.

That's how easy it is Ash, just plug the TV into the middle port (HDMI) and then right click the desktop, click the icon that represents your TV (or if you're unsure click identify) and change the resolution of the TV to maximum, click apply and that's done.
The one you are currently using, is DVI with a VGA converter. You really should get rid of that horrible VGA crap, as the image of raw DVI is far superior to VGA. The other two ports, are HDMI, and Displayport. I recommend using the DVI for your main screen, and then get another one to the displayport.
Awesome, thanks alot for your replies everyone! Smile

EDIT: What exactly is a DisplayPort cable and where does it plug into on a TV? I think I only have HDMI ports on my tv?
TV's don't usually have DP, because they don't need it. Even with 3D, v1.4 has enough bandwidth to run the resolution and the refresh rate. DP has become more popular because of Eyefinity mainly. Before that it was reserved for workstation type monitors and more professional type hardware afaik.

DP is also royalty free.
(2013-08-09 07:44)Ash Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome, thanks alot for your replies everyone! Smile

EDIT: What exactly is a DisplayPort cable and where does it plug into on a TV? I think I only have HDMI ports on my tv?

You can pickup DP to HDMI from amazon about £6 >link<
TV's don't usually have Displayport, so you would probably be wasting your money buying one.

Most if not all modern TV's have at least 1 HDMI port on them.
Cheers guys Smile

Next question, is there much point paying alot for a hdmi cable or just a 99p ebay one?
no, not really youl see some difference in thickness of the cable sometimes or different braid.
But it doesnt really matter , so get the cheapest one Smile
(2013-08-09 17:41)Ash Wrote: [ -> ]Cheers guys Smile

Next question, is there much point paying alot for a hdmi cable or just a 99p ebay one?

99p ones are just imported from hongkong will take you about 2 weeks for it to come. but it saves money. They say goldplated is faster but tbh its all a money making scheme.

So if you don't mind waiting get a cheap one. I've always lived by the "buy cheap get cheap"
Signal/speed wise, a digital cable is the same as any other with the same rating, provided you're not trying to exceed the rating. The only real difference between cables is how likely it is to physically break, and price alone (and even brand in some cases) is no reliable measure of that.

Gold plating theoretically gives a better physical connection (softer, so higher contact surface area) however, whether it actually improves the electrical connection overall is debatable as it introduces two more changes of resistance & capacitance, both of which can degrade the signal.

Gold-plated toslink (optical) cables are targeting the gullible; the gold is 100% useless (often
making it worse) and makes the cable more expensive to make for no reason.
Paid £4.99 inc post for a 10m long one Smile should do nicely lol
Plugged in both monitors, both work! However my main screen using the HDMI cable shows slightly blurry display, to the point that it hurts my eyes. Not very HD atall lol.

If i used a HDMI to VGA adapter, I could run two VGA's, correct? Are they good quality or will it also be poor?
HDMI can't convert to VGA.
HDMI (really DVI-D with some extra stuff) is better than VGA in almost every way - if it's blurry, chances are you're using the wrong resolution.
Gone through every single resolution, can't get it to be non fuzzy. Any ideas? Smile
What model is the monitor? What resolutions are showing up in windows?

(Some 1080p monitors don't show the correct resolution until you install the monitor driver - can't think why though, DVI can advertise supported resolutions.)

Ed: how about a close-up photo showing the fuzzyness?
It was a cheap Sainsbury's television was using as the HDMI and an old HP monitor on VGA. In the end I couldnt be asked messing about with the settings so I just brought 2 new Samsung monitors instead... LOL Smile

Thanks for your help though Smile
Reference URL's