[TC] Gaming Forums

Full Version: What headset do you use/recommend?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just recently my x12s Died after a 3 year run and I'm looking to buy my next headset! Just wondering what headset you guys use or have used that you could recommend to me as I'm a bit of a nub when it comes to buying headsets.

My Budget is around £70-£100
needs to have a Microphone.
Amazing sound quality if possible.
Surround sound if possible.

Cheers!
~Bez
I had a Sennheiser PC 350 for 2 years until the ear pads started falling apart, the leather stuff started flaking off and exposing a plush sort of material. They're still usable and they work great, I've just upgraded. I now have Sennheiser HD 598 and they sound great but don't have a mic, you can buy a cheap one and clip it on the cable and that seems to work for the most part and is fairly clear.

My setup now is a Soundblaster ZxR, Sennheiser HD 598 with a Zalman ZM-MIC1 mic and it works great.

Not really sure about what the 598's cost, but if they fit in the price range with the mic, get it. They come with a 6 1/4mm to 3.5mm coverter as well, so you don't need a 6 1/4 jack for them.

As for surround in headphones, I have always seen it as a big marketing gimmick solely because the drivers are so small and the soundstage is woeful because the speakers are so close to your ears and from the reviews I have read about some sets, the sound quality on them is terrible.
im using the steelseries h7 usb.
Its an amazing allround headset for gaming and music aswell!
And it has 7.1 virtual surround sound like you want.
And the sounddampening is great to.
(2013-08-28 10:24)Stephen Wrote: [ -> ]I had a Sennheiser PC 350 for 2 years until the ear pads started falling apart, the leather stuff started flaking off and exposing a plush sort of material. They're still usable and they work great, I've just upgraded. I now have Sennheiser HD 598 and they sound great but don't have a mic, you can buy a cheap one and clip it on the cable and that seems to work for the most part and is fairly clear.

My setup now is a Soundblaster ZxR, Sennheiser HD 598 with a Zalman ZM-MIC1 mic and it works great.

Not really sure about what the 598's cost, but if they fit in the price range with the mic, get it. They come with a 6 1/4mm to 3.5mm coverter as well, so you don't need a 6 1/4 jack for them.

As for surround in headphones, I have always seen it as a big marketing gimmick solely because the drivers are so small and the soundstage is woeful because the speakers are so close to your ears and from the reviews I have read about some sets, the sound quality on them is terrible.

The Creamy brown color of the Sennheiser HD 598's put me off a lot.

I've been looking at the Turtlebeach x22's but I've been searching around and seen many people now use clip on mics and decent headsets.

Also a remember the Steelseries Siberia being hyped up on the forum before. Has anyone tried the V2?
You could get the HD 600, but those are quite a bit more expensive and close to the performance of the 598's.

Colour shouldn't really matter though, once you put it on your head you won't even know what colour they are Tongue
(2013-08-28 10:40)Stephen Wrote: [ -> ]You could get the HD 600, but those are quite a bit more expensive and close to the performance of the 598's.

I read on another forum if you buy the 555's and remove some foam they add into the head set they will sound just the same as 595's.

(2013-08-28 10:40)Stephen Wrote: [ -> ]Colour shouldn't really matter though, once you put it on your head you won't even know what colour they are Tongue

I'm really picky with colors and styles Tongue
The 595's are the older model, the 598 replaces them afaik.
(2013-08-28 10:33)Bez Wrote: [ -> ]Also a remember the Steelseries Siberia being hyped up on the forum before. Has anyone tried the V2?

I have had them for some time, but they seem to have a common problem (which affects my set too) that one of the speakers stops working and the volume control is really shoddy. It's a good headset while it works though.

Nowadays I have just resorted to my small Sennheiser PX-100 II supra-aural headphones, which have about the same sound quality (which is amazing for such small headphones, lol)
I use the G430, and its just awesome in sound, and its have a mic..

Yeah 7.1 sound and its work perfect.
Steelseries Siberia V2's. No complaints whatsoever, everything about it is excellent. Nearly 3 years old and yet still working as well as they were on the day I got them.
I had Asus Vulcan PRO ANC headset.. It was the best I ever had, but the jacks didn't fit my HP (Laptop) so I couldn't use the mic. If I'm right it had 5.1 Surround and ANC as in Anti Noise Cancelling button, and amazing sound quality and bass.

My current one is wireless Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Wrath, it's quite decent set, basic microphone and good sound quality, with 7.1 Surround.

If the Sound Blaster is around the same price as the Asus ones, I'd go for the Asus.
(2013-08-28 14:26)Lampshade Wrote: [ -> ]Steelseries Siberia V2's. No complaints whatsoever, everything about it is excellent. Nearly 3 years old and yet still working as well as they were on the day I got them.

I wish mine lasted like that, I only had them for ~1 year and after that the left speaker is now mute.
Steelseries Siberia V2's ftw, best headset i've ever used.
G35 Logitech. Best headset I have ever bought. Sounds really awesome, great mic, nice G-Buttons, volume button, a surround sound switch, mic Muter. I simply love it !
G430 is good also
Reference URL's