[TC] Gaming Forums
Test patch - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Live for Speed Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Test patch (/showthread.php?tid=4320)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: New test patch soon - Hexta - 2012-09-09 00:44

(2012-09-08 23:13)Scawen Wrote:  So tomorrow I will just work through every packet's response code and every function called by those bits of code, in the hope of finding one that does not have its bounds checked, so a hacker can cause LFS to overwrite the wrong bit of memory.

It's boring and tedious work, the kind that makes my eyes go funny and my head spin. That's why it would be great if the hackers could lend a hand, and save me some pointless hours. Obviously it's only my fault that there is a bug, so I am the one to blame. It's great that the hackers found the bug. It would be even better if they could tell us too.

Scared

RE: New test patch soon - Chuck - 2012-09-09 05:43

He could have done that months ago tbh. I proved in multiple mails that things like that going on but instead they kept blaming our end to be the problem.

RE: New test patch soon - Pete - 2012-09-09 18:07

(2012-09-08 23:10)Elmo Wrote:  
Scawen Wrote:I've got a few more fixes to do as well as the packet checking to fix this one so I'm going to estimate a few more days before the incompatible patch, maybe Thursday or Friday.

EDIT : This incompatible patch will be a TEST patch. When the official update is released will depend on the results of the testing.

About the incompatible update, the main thing about it is an improved multiplayer system that will make the host more responsive and reliable.

Physics and all replays are still compatible
Game only needs host packets to continue processing
Quicker joining to host - no waiting for other players
No waiting for packets from players with slow connections
Much longer timeouts - lower probability of disconnection

Also fixes for various bugs and security issues that have been reported.

The networking tweaks should make things a bit smoother Smile

I was pretty happy when I read that. http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1740426#post1740426

RE: New test patch soon - Nipper - 2012-09-10 07:07

(2012-09-09 05:43)Chuck Wrote:  He could have done that months ago tbh. I proved in multiple mails that things like that going on but instead they kept blaming our end to be the problem.

Ahh, I had that problem with BT. They replaced the hub after some time debating.

Is the VWS still coming or?

RE: New test patch soon - Ras - 2012-09-10 07:49

Im guessing the VWS will be included in the next official patch, after all those test patches.

RE: New test patch soon - Cola - 2012-09-10 08:42

(2012-09-10 07:49)Ras Wrote:  Im guessing the VWS will be included in the next official patch, after all those test patches.

Would be great, but I highly doubt it.. Unsure

RE: New test patch soon - Ras - 2012-09-10 09:30

I dont think they release the next patch before they can include VWS and new tyre physics. Maybe a lot of test patches but not an official patch.

RE: New test patch soon - Bez - 2012-09-10 11:37

21st December 2012. Let just hope we get to test that VWS before then... Tongue

RE: New test patch soon - Pipa - 2012-09-10 11:40

If the tire physics were done he would ve released them, so i don't expect much. But i am propably one of the few that still wait happily. I like the way scawen works, it's honest and usually well thought through and done.

RE: New test patch soon - Pete - 2012-09-10 12:22

(2012-09-10 07:49)Ras Wrote:  Im guessing the VWS will be included in the next official patch, after all those test patches.

Probably not the next official patch. The devs said they wanted to develop a few new cars at the same time as the VWS so they may give them an outing first because they would be for both S1 and S2, as well as S3 of course.

But really, don't get your hopes too high for any rapid turnarounds.

RE: New test patch soon - Elmo - 2012-09-10 15:42

The next official patch will be these multiplayer improvements, which will be released after the test patch has been tested + fixed if needed.

The VWS will be out in the patch with the new tyre physics (after the obligatory test patches), which are not complete. The tyre physics have been the hold up to development on the whole.

Last I heard, the rest of the initial S3 development will begin in earnest after the tyre physics are released.
Once a base level of S3 programming related stuff is ready, Rockingham and the Mystery Car will be released as the first part of S3. (if not more, I dunno if they've been working on more stuff since. The LX8 will presumably make a reappearance at some point in S3.)

As yet unreleased things known to be in the pipeline:
- FX interiors (and probably others as well, I can't remember exactly which were mentioned)
- Westhill updates (whatever that means, it's been widely assumed there'll be more configs)
- Breakable wings
These originally slated to be done for LFS to get out of 'Alpha', although the whole Alpha/Beta philosophy has been reworked since as LFS is so stable anyway. The barrier physics and I think one or two other things were on that list, but have already been released.

RE: New test patch soon - Hexta - 2012-09-10 17:50

They've spent so much time on the tyre physics, they should of looked elsewhere that needs improving. For instance as Elmo said "breakable wings", they should work on the aesthetics of the game in terms of vehicle damage and how it affects perfomance.

RE: New test patch soon - Kayla - 2012-09-10 18:30

Well, seems like we are already too realistic for some people
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=78963
=P

b2t: I'm curious how well the improvements will be for multiplayer, no more queue sounds good tho =P
but we should stop thinking about s3 imo, it will come out in 2 years soonest i think

RE: New test patch soon - Leon - 2012-09-10 19:55

The devs always have deserved - and still do - a kick in the nuts.

There´s never going to be any S3. Stop dreaming.

RE: New test patch soon - Zipppy - 2012-09-10 20:28

Leon, quit being pessimistic, There still is a lot of time left in the world.

RE: New test patch soon - Hexta - 2012-09-10 22:58

S3 = Tyre physics + VWS + Rockingham. They charge £12 to upgrade to S3?

Amount of people who purchase an S3 licence x £12 = £££ should be enough motivation?

RE: New test patch soon - Elmo - 2012-09-11 14:23

(2012-09-10 22:58)Hexta Wrote:  S3 = Tyre physics + VWS + Rockingham. They charge £12 to upgrade to S3?

S3 = Rockingham + Mystery Car + more later. As I said above, the tyre physics and VWS are before S3.

Ed: VWS will be an S1 car.

RE: New test patch soon - Pipa - 2012-09-11 17:36

(2012-09-10 19:55)Leon Wrote:  The devs always have deserved - and still do - a kick in the nuts.

I agree let's team up and do our tire physics. I ll supply cookies and you do the coding.

RE: New test patch soon - Cyanide Christ - 2012-09-11 17:38

I can get the milk

RE: New test patch soon - Johan. - 2012-09-11 17:51

I can grow a beard, so I can pretend to be Santa Claus? Tongue