[TC] Gaming Forums
About boundaries - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: About boundaries (/showthread.php?tid=10667)

Pages: 1 2 3

About boundaries - Petsu - 2014-02-08 02:40

I got curious. This one fellow got banned for making joke of 9/11, not the wisest thing to do but i think he should have gotten warning, because how could have he known its not allowed. Same as if someone makes joke about banana, and i get offended because(imaginary part not true) my dog choked on banana, will he receive ban instantly? :/ Where goes the border?

People feel everything different way, some people get offended about something and some people about something else. Not everyone can be pleased because soon everyone would be banned.

Thats why i suggest, when someone says something whats on "grey zone", as in doesnt read in rules, but really not the wisest thing to talk/joke about, warn the guy first and tell him not to ever do that again, and if he disobeys, ban him afterwards.

Im getting scared of chatting because i cant know when i get banned because someone might get offended about something Unsure

RE: About boundaries - Ras - 2014-02-08 03:29

It shouldn't be a surprise that jokes related to terrorism isn't tolerated. It's normal common sense, in real world too.

Don't be afraid of saying something wrong, as that shouldn't happen if you keep you common sense and think twice before hitting enter if in doubt whether it could offend anyone.

RE: About boundaries - Warped - 2014-02-08 04:52

Yep, the admin who banned the person did the right thing. Making jokes about such big things where people lost their relatives etc. wouldn't be ideal. Some users may have lost their parents during that day. It is indeed common sense to understand where does the line get cut.

RE: About boundaries - Audiojack - 2014-02-08 08:28

I still don't know why it's such a taboo. People die all the time, it's not a big deal. Someone died right now. Someone probably got shot. And another one, somewhere in the world. Someone was also born and that's great for them, their mom might have died though. I might die in the next ten minutes or my parents could. My cat might choke on cat food. It's how it works and it's inevitable, everyone dies. W00t

Speaking of stuff like 9/11, of course it's a bit crap when a lot of people die simultaneously because of some nutjobs but I guess there's already too many people for this planets good. Like Stalin said "When one man dies it is a tragedy, when thousands die it's statistics"

The symbolic meaning of the attack and total damage done weigh more to me here. Obviously sad that someone would intentionally want to do such things, but that's kind of how the human kind has rolled from the start and it shouldn't be that unexpected. Wink

I'm gonna finish typing this and leave home, if I get in a car crash ten minutes from now then mock me all you want for writing such things because I won't be able to give damns about it at that point. I just hope you can see how I think of this in an unbiased way and not devolve this into an angry spamfest. I know it's a bit cold and clinical but I'm totally at acceptance of life and death of me and everyone else. Smile

RE: About boundaries - Stephen - 2014-02-08 09:26

Acts of terrorism or other incredibly destructive behaviour should never be joked about.

RE: About boundaries - Ash - 2014-02-08 09:28

I personally feel it all comes down to respecting others.

RE: About boundaries - BP - 2014-02-08 09:36

There's a subtle difference with accepting something, and finding something funny, Audiojack.

(2014-02-08 08:28)Audiojack Wrote:  *Massive text*

RE: About boundaries - Chuck - 2014-02-08 10:55

There is also a subtle difference between acting inappropriate and acting against the rules. Not everything that someone finds inappropriate is automatically against the rulesWink

RE: About boundaries - BP - 2014-02-08 10:56

(2014-02-08 10:55)Chuck Wrote:  There is also a subtle difference between acting inappropriate and acting against the rules. Not everything that someone finds inappropriate is automatically against the rulesWink

Laughing about a terrorist act isn't respectful as Ash says, thus surely goes against rule 1.1?
(Even people on the servers may have indirectly felt the effects)

So, swearing isn't okay, but joking about world terrorism is absolutely fine? I don't think it works like that.

RE: About boundaries - Weelob - 2014-02-08 11:03

It's all about common sense. People are getting banned for saying things that could be seen as racism, even though it may have been meant as fun.

RE: About boundaries - Chuck - 2014-02-08 11:10

Common sense never solved any problems, but only caused themWink

RE: About boundaries - Dowpy - 2014-02-08 11:10

Im with AJ on this one.

RE: About boundaries - Ras - 2014-02-08 11:38

(2014-02-08 11:10)Chuck Wrote:  Common sense never solved any problems, but only caused themWink
Common sense is what prevent problems, but the thing is not all people have common sense, meaning there will be problems anyways.

RE: About boundaries - Pipa - 2014-02-08 11:41

I also love offensive stuff and pretty dark jokes and personally don't see the fuss aswell with people getting offended about it, but i don't make the rules and therefore i take those jokes somewhere else.

I wouldn't mind a more relaxed approach though.

RE: About boundaries - Ras - 2014-02-08 11:45

Yes its so funny that a few planes were hijacked and crashed into tall buildings with thousands of innocent people inside who then died, as well as all the firefighters, police and medical people

Surely, there are other, more appropriate, ways to joke. I don't see how it's necessary to use terrorism in jokes. That's just disgusting.

RE: About boundaries - Howlin - 2014-02-08 11:54

im with Ras on that, however you look at it, from whatever aspect, it is not funny and will never be something to laugh and joke about.

RE: About boundaries - Bez - 2014-02-08 11:59

I agree with AJ, Pipa and Chuck on this one. Unless someone actually came to a TC member saying they found that kind of material offensive, then it really hasn't hurt anyone. If the TC member in question found it offensive then he had all rights to warn the offendie about this. Thing's don't always need to lead to ban's...

RE: About boundaries - Snake - 2014-02-08 12:02

(2014-02-08 08:28)Audiojack Wrote:  I still don't know why it's such a taboo. People die all the time, it's not a big deal. Someone died right now. Someone probably got shot.[...]

People simply shoulnd't do jokes about things like this, it's like I would do jokes about Hitler, jews and WW2. That's something you don't do because you know what happened back there and it's nothing "funny", or don't you think so and it's alright to say stupid stuff about this because people "only died" there? There are quite a few americans playing on the server, maybe one of them lost their parents on 9/11, who knows. Terrorism or War's weren't made to do jokes about them, people do a minute of silence every year on 9/11 and everyone should respect what happened there.

(2014-02-08 11:59)Bez Wrote:  I agree with AJ, Pipa and Chuck on this one. Unless someone actually came to a TC member saying they found that kind of material offensive,

The report wasn't made out of fun I guess.

http://forum.city-driving.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=10655

RE: About boundaries - Luke - 2014-02-08 12:02

I think everybody has summed up your question Smile

Personally, I like a bit of dark jokes like Pipa, but i do see where it is offensive and how others can be offended by stuff like that, so common sense is the key word here, just know when to stop and don't use dark jokes publicly as everybody has different opinions as you can clearly see on this thread.

Now for the banning side of things, I don't see it as a pointless ban as 9/11 was a serious event that hurt thousands of families. To joke about it in public is lack of respect, joke about it in private so then other's are not effected, TC is a community, and I am sure that all the admins would agree that we want the community clean and friendly hence why there's rules.

My rant over Smile

RE: About boundaries - Pipa - 2014-02-08 12:03

(2014-02-08 11:45)Ras Wrote:  Surely, there are other, more appropriate, ways to joke. I don't see how it's necessary to use terrorism in jokes. That's just disgusting.

Could we please stop calling the other sick or anything, thats not really helping at all and will lead to a poor argument with either people stop commenting or retaliating.

Obviously there are more appropriate jokes, but these jokes can be painfully funny to me and a lot of other people and simply denying that won't help the argument. I have no problem taking them elsewhere and never said TC is supposed to tolerate it.

Simple example - don't click when easily offended (Click to View)