[TC] Gaming Forums
[SOLVED] Computer shuts down while in-game. - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Technology Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=82)
+---- Forum: Tech Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+---- Thread: [SOLVED] Computer shuts down while in-game. (/showthread.php?tid=12303)

[SOLVED] Computer shuts down while in-game. - Roba - 2014-05-25 19:16

So I've had this problem for a while. When I play some games, my computer randomly shuts down with 2 loud "Beep" sounds.

It became so bad I couldn't play anything on my computer, nor watch movies, because it would shut down in the middle of it.

I updated my drivers, which helped a bit, but it still happens some times while watching a movie and while playing ETS2.

I guess it's some kind of overheating problem, but what exactly could be the problem, and what kind of solution for it?

I'm using;
HP TouchSmart 600-1160sc
Intel Core i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 230

RE: Computer shuts down while in-game. - Warped - 2014-05-25 19:46

Sounds like overheating, try cleaning your CPU fan from possible dust.

RE: Computer shuts down while in-game. - Cola - 2014-05-25 20:50

Nah, more possible to be the graphics card overheating, as the problem only seems to appear when he is playing games or watching movies = graphic heavy material. The reason that the driver update might have helped a little, is probably that they updated stuff so that the graphics card has become more efficient = less heat.

Seeing as your PC is an all-in-one (don't buy that crap ever again), it will be very difficult to fix, unless you have had previous similar experience. The hardware inside is probably put together pretty much like a laptop, also with laptop components. Therefore you will probably only have one fan, and one or two heatpipes. You will need to remove the entire fan assembly, remove the thermal grease on the GPU (do the CPU once you're in there) and apply fresh thermal grease. Several guides to this can be found on YouTube. HPs are notorious with heat-disposing problems, therefore you might need to figure out a way to let it suck in more air, and blow out more air as well.

RE: Computer shuts down while in-game. - Roba - 2014-05-25 21:30

(2014-05-25 20:50)Cola Wrote:  Nah, more possible to be the graphics card overheating, as the problem only seems to appear when he is playing games or watching movies = graphic heavy material. The reason that the driver update might have helped a little, is probably that they updated stuff so that the graphics card has become more efficient = less heat.

Seeing as your PC is an all-in-one (don't buy that crap ever again), it will be very difficult to fix, unless you have had previous similar experience. The hardware inside is probably put together pretty much like a laptop, also with laptop components. Therefore you will probably only have one fan, and one or two heatpipes. You will need to remove the entire fan assembly, remove the thermal grease on the GPU (do the CPU once you're in there) and apply fresh thermal grease. Several guides to this can be found on YouTube. HPs are notorious with heat-disposing problems, therefore you might need to figure out a way to let it suck in more air, and blow out more air as well.

Indeed it's built basically as a laptop.

I've been searching stuff on google so what you said sounds pretty much like the best option, but I'll leave it at that.

I'll try to increase the air flow but that's it. I'll let someone who knows a bit more of these do it for me (for free) sooner or later, as I'm most likely getting a proper desktop soon.

Thanks for your answer, will help a lot!

I'll mark it as solved with this information, thread may be closed.

RE: [SOLVED] Computer shuts down while in-game. - Chuck - 2014-05-26 06:01

Occasional blowing air into the vent openings works wonders. Either with the mouth or compressed canned air. Holding a vacuum cleaner to it can't hurt either.

RE: [SOLVED] Computer shuts down while in-game. - Cola - 2014-05-26 07:17

(2014-05-26 06:01)Chuck Wrote:  Occasional blowing air into the vent openings works wonders. Either with the mouth or compressed canned air. Holding a vacuum cleaner to it can't hurt either.

Yes it can. A vacuum cleaner creates static electricity from the dust and particles rubbing against the vacuum tube. Turn off your PC and disconnect any battery or power source before using a vacuum cleaner to get rid of the dust in the PC. This happens because the vacuum cleaner isn't grounded, and cannot be without further ado. Of course, this is just in theory, I haven't had a problem vacuuming nor blowing into PC's, and I have had a LOT of them, and more than five years of experience with them, and I have never caused damage to anything while cleaning. Use common sense, make sure to don't make contact from vacuum cleaner to the actual components in the PC.