[TC] Gaming Forums
How does a domain transfer affect my website? - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Help Requests & Technical Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Thread: How does a domain transfer affect my website? (/showthread.php?tid=1288)

How does a domain transfer affect my website? - mogey5101 - 2011-12-29 00:46

Hi there, im going to transfer my domain name from GoDaddy to Namecheap, I have a few questions though. How does it affect google apps, and how long will it take? Will people be able to access my site using the same domain while its being transferred?

RE: How does a domain transfer affect my website? - Clockwork - 2011-12-29 01:34

People will still be able to access your site when it is being transferred, yes. Everything (such as Google Apps) will continue to work as long as your DNS servers (your nameservers) are set correctly on the domain name. If your nameservers are pointing to your registrar (GoDaddy) rather then your web host, then DNS services may well stop working when the domain is transferred out. The transfer time completely depends on the domain extension, but usually around 5 business days as long as you approve everything immediately via e-mail.

RE: How does a domain transfer affect my website? - Hexta - 2011-12-29 04:18

24 hours with namecheap but its usually a few hours, I have my own website and I'm using namecheaps custom DNS to point to my server. Your site may go down for a short period from when godaddy transfer it over to namecheap.

RE: How does a domain transfer affect my website? - Clockwork - 2011-12-29 11:40

(2011-12-29 04:18)Hexta Wrote:  24 hours with namecheap but its usually a few hours, I have my own website and I'm using namecheaps custom DNS to point to my server. Your site may go down for a short period from when godaddy transfer it over to namecheap.

Transfers take a minimum of five days. The transfer process relies on the losing registrar as well as the gaining registrar too. So as quick as Namecheap may be to acquire the name, GoDaddy may not be as quick letting go of it Rolleyes