[TC] Gaming Forums
How long did it take you to learn to drive? - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: How long did it take you to learn to drive? (/showthread.php?tid=13248)

Pages: 1 2

How long did it take you to learn to drive? - Matt - 2014-07-22 11:45

Hey everyone,

So-I was thinking the other day about when I might finally be able to take my K10 out on the road once I have a license... So, how long did it take you guys/girls with wheels to transfer to real cars in terms of hours with an instructor until your test...

RE: How long did it take you to learn to drive? - Zipppy - 2014-07-22 11:57

I didn't really learn until I passed my practical driving test. I have about 100 hours driving so far. The instructors' cars were really distracting, they were crapboxes which needed a lot of work, they had blown suspension, engine ticking, and veered to one side slightly. I felt ripped off, I was paying $50 per hour of driving in cars like that.

I couldn't drive for 4 years due to medical issues. Here you can get a permit at 16. I passed the first (written) test, and had a seizure a few days later, so I couldn't drive until I was 20. I had to redo the written test, since the seizure was something that made me lose my right.

RE: How long did it take you to learn to drive? - Ash - 2014-07-22 12:12

First lesson was on 29 May, then passed my test 1st September.

One lesson per week. Passed first time with 2 minors Biggrin

RE: How long did it take you to learn to drive? - Johan. - 2014-07-22 12:15

2.5 months inbetween starting with the first lesson and the actual driving exam.

RE: How long did it take you to learn to drive? - Sebas - 2014-07-22 12:45

Mandatory time in here is 1 year between the written test and the road test. So I guess i'd have to say 1 year.

RE: How long did it take you to learn to drive? - Rasmus - 2014-07-22 15:29

I once took a license in under 3 weeeks

RE: How long did it take you to learn to drive? - Jimmy - 2014-07-22 15:41

first i did only practise reverse and gas + steering some cones pretty easy actually

RE: How long did it take you to learn to drive? - Bez - 2014-07-22 16:02

I had 10 lessons as a Christmas gift. After about 5 I was fully driving around on the road just following directions from my instructor. Theory test is a piece of cake so long as you study. Practical can get a bit nerve wrecking but just keep calm and you'll pass!

RE: How long did it take you to learn to drive? - Spark - 2014-07-22 16:03

Thats it Bez Wink

RE: How long did it take you to learn to drive? - R.Fiets - 2014-07-22 17:24

8 lessons from 20. ( They said I dont need any more, so I passed all 6 exams - 2x theory and 4 times different practical exams, in few weeks). And that all like 10 years ago.

RE: How long did it take you to learn to drive? - Petsu - 2014-07-22 19:06

In my 2nd driving session i was driving well without the instructor telling me what to do and point my mistakes.. Might be because when i turned 15 i got moped and when 16 i got myself a 125cc.. To really learn how to drive without thinking about it that much it took like week after passing the exam. If you have had some driving exprience (like i had with my 125cc, with mopeds you dont really learn that well) before starting car license, it helps a lot as you dont need to concentrate that much about the stuff going around you as it already comes naturally. And it took about 30 driving lessons (10 without anything, 10 with small trailer and 10 with combi) to learn how to drive a truck in very small and tight city Smile

Does that make any sense Matt or do i need subtitles

RE: How long did it take you to learn to drive? - Stephen - 2014-07-22 20:15

60 hours supervised driving, passed the test the second time and been driving for about 6-7 years now without accidents that were my fault.

Had some crazy girl run up the back of my shiny red car Sad

RE: How long did it take you to learn to drive? - Leon - 2014-07-22 21:53

(2014-07-22 15:29)Rasmus Wrote:  I once took a license in under 3 weeeks

Me too. I also never stalled with the instructor car. Beat that, bitches!

RE: How long did it take you to learn to drive? - Pipa - 2014-07-22 22:05

(2014-07-22 21:53)Leon Wrote:  I also never stalled with the instructor car. Beat that, bitches!

If it was a diesel then that is hardly an achievment. My gf at that time left a VW 5 diesel in 3rd at a light and didn't stall it. I was a bit dissapointed.

If not then kudos to you sir.

RE: How long did it take you to learn to drive? - FR4NOx - 2014-07-22 22:21

Lol we don't need instructors here. I just get in the car with my dad and go. I took drivers education but it's not necessary. I've been driving for a couple of year without a permit, but since I moved to florida I had to get one. Now I just need to wait until a year has passed with the permit for my license test. Never driven a real manual. I have about 210 hours under my belt.

My city (Orlando, Florida) is ranked the #1 most dangerous city to drive in the USA for a reason. Wink

RE: How long did it take you to learn to drive? - Johan. - 2014-07-22 23:02

(2014-07-22 21:53)Leon Wrote:  

Done! ... Did a hill-test (stop the car going upwards on a hill and pull away again) in second gear. Did not stall. Thumbup1

RE: How long did it take you to learn to drive? - Rasmus - 2014-07-23 00:10

(2014-07-22 23:02)Johan. Wrote:  
(2014-07-22 21:53)Leon Wrote:  

Done! ... Did a hill-test (stop the car going upwards on a hill and pull away again) in second gear. Did not stall. Thumbup1

Thumbup1

RE: How long did it take you to learn to drive? - Blacktop - 2014-07-25 14:27

Hmm, good question. First learned how to drive at 10, was pretty much driving on the road at 14... #whatlicenseofficer
First car I got at 14 was a Opel Corsa B 5dr, faded green, faded plastic bumpers. Piece of crap, but loved it to bits, and abused it to bits.
Yet to do my full license test because lazy, and passed the theory without any material. 3 lessons in from the mandatory 12 and my driving instructor was just chatting to me as I went around town. Instructor car was a Mk7 Fiesta 1.6 TDCi, by the way. A bit gutless unfortunately, but I was hardly expecting a Supra TT Tongue
I guess the hardest part of driving is holding the wheel with both hands... Yep, I'm one of those Tongue

RE: How long did it take you to learn to drive? - Johan. - 2014-07-26 06:32

(2014-07-25 14:27)Blacktop Wrote:  I guess the hardest part of driving is holding the wheel with both hands... Yep, I'm one of those Tongue

Not that hard when you're in pedal-to-the-metal mood on a track, lol. Besides that, I usually use 2 hands when 110kph+. The rest of the time I either lean Takumi style in the door, or using the arm rest for what its there for.

RE: How long did it take you to learn to drive? - Cola - 2014-07-26 08:19

I started my first driving lesson on the 28th of August last year, and passed my test on the 24th of October same year flawlessly. Infact, my instructor told me I was nearly as good as him, proving one of the best students he has ever had during his 10 years as an instructor. :>

I found it extremely easy to 'translate' my skills from driving games into real life driving. My first driving lesson I was asked if I would like to be driven onto a small industrial road to start there, or if I'd like to start from the city centre. My instructor said that since I'd done very well in the theoretical parts, I could start from the city centre if I felt like it, so I did. No problems or anything, everything was pretty much smooth from the beginning.

/brag :>