[TC] Gaming Forums
Helicopter - New role in the game - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Server & InSim Suggestions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+---- Thread: Helicopter - New role in the game (/showthread.php?tid=13713)

Helicopter - New role in the game - Tingle - 2014-08-17 12:40

Situation

So I was thinking there may be a possibility of having a 'helicopter' role added to the server, to assist the cops, primarily Cop 1. So as you know, Cop 1 can't see the suspect's location on the LEAS. This means that if the suspect gets some distance on you, they may go off-course (e.g. into the pits) and you end up driving right past them not knowing where the hell they've gone, and they end up escaping.

Solution

A 'helicopter' would be the solution to this... When you notice that the distance is steadily increasing and a huge gulf forms between you and the suspect, you should be able to use !helicopter. Somebody with the tag [HELI] or [HELICOPTER] would then respond, essentially joining the chase but not physically joining it.... they would be spectating the suspect. Their responsibility would be to send messages such as '!x Location: Safe Zone 1', '!x Suspect has made a U-TURN slow down', '!x possible u-turn', '!x Right --->' etc. This would save other cops in the chase from having to issue directional messages, but more importantly, would let cop 1 know where the suspect is if he's not in sight.

In order to become a 'helicopter' I think that the test should include questions regarding locations on the maps and best practices when communicating.

If successful the helicopter should get say, 50% of what they'd usually get had they actually been a backup cop.

I think the role would appeal to most people on the sever.

Thoughts?

RE: Helicopter - New role in the game - Toni - 2014-08-17 13:03

No from me, would help the cops too much, its the cops fault if they cant keep up with the suspect good enough to not lose the sight.

RE: Helicopter - New role in the game - Edwin - 2014-08-17 13:09

Don't see any point in this. Cops can already help others using cop chat, this can easily be accessible via a bind or just a simple ask. This will just make it too complicated for everyone as it can be done already.

RE: Helicopter - New role in the game - Ace - 2014-08-17 13:11

Is there a need fot a seperate heli role? I really dont think so.

You could use the cop chat and ask a backup unit for help. They can give you the location of
your suspect without beeing in chase.

RE: Helicopter - New role in the game - BP - 2014-08-17 13:11

The following was seriously considered: http://forum.city-driving.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=4875

It (or a similar idea) was postponed though.

As mentioned by Connor, you can easily just spec the suspect, join TS and give verbal directions which is probably even more useful and with no programming required.

RE: Helicopter - New role in the game - UCMA - 2014-08-17 13:53

Although in real life a chopper is being used alot, in LFS this would give the cops a huge advantage.

RE: Helicopter - New role in the game - Connor - 2014-08-17 14:19

I did this last year in Gumball while copping with Orange.

All you need to do is improvise, I called myself RDP•HELI[COP] and either went in Shift+U mode or spectated the car. (although Shift+U is more like being in a helicopter imo)

I would give them directional binds or go in TS and tell them where the suspect was going.

There's no point in having an over-complicated idea, you just need to improvise, like I said, if you want to play as a 'Helicopter' role.

RE: Helicopter - New role in the game - Sebas - 2014-08-17 14:22

Back before the licenses were needed, I played as "Chopper" or "The Viewer" and would help the cops in a chase. This was much appreciated and added a level of reality in the game.

I don't think however that adding commands and options in the Insim is necessary. Just do it if you want to and that's it.

RE: Helicopter - New role in the game - Polete - 2014-08-18 10:03

This idea looks realistic as hell but I don't see the point of it as the server is just for drive cars, dont try to add any other "machines", also I like to cop and it would give us an advantage which would make even harder for the suspect to lose cops, but in the other hand I like to be robber at some time so as Connor said if you want to play like Helicopter just improvise it.

RE: Helicopter - New role in the game - Knight - 2014-08-18 23:48

This has been suggested alot in the past. Has to be a No from me.
The new insim has ALOT of stuff going on it already, my eyes get sore when theres 3 chases around me with 2 or more cops in it haha.

The robber needs a fair chance to escape, this isn't real life remember we aren't actually going to go out and shoot someone. I think keep it a even playing field

RE: Helicopter - New role in the game - Jimmy - 2014-08-19 04:14

It sounds boring with helicopter + some maps is short to so this shouldent work i guess