[TC] Gaming Forums
full cpu usage from gfycat - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Technology Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=82)
+---- Forum: Tech Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+---- Thread: full cpu usage from gfycat (/showthread.php?tid=13798)

Pages: 1 2

full cpu usage from gfycat - Barney - 2014-08-23 12:14

Hi,
so when i watch the gifthreads last page where there are lots of gifs embedded with gfycat my pc goes nuts and is operating at full capacity.
first 1/3 viewing page 74 with several gfy embedded, 2/3 page before with normal gifs, 3/3 fourm main index.
[Image: ypl5stbecacy.jpg]

its not the best pc with a intel core duo2 (2x 3.00 ghz) and 4GB RAM, win7 64bit, but i usually keep it quiet clean and its just the embedded stuff thats killing it. oh yeah its firefox if that is important. internet expolrer is even worse.

any hints/solutions?

cheers

RE: full cpu usage from gfycat - B!ll - 2014-08-23 14:04

I got this problem too. With one difference. When i want reply and then check (prewiev post) Firefox collapse.

My specs are close to yours but on 32bit system.

screenshot (Click to View)
screenshot (Click to View)

RE: full cpu usage from gfycat - Frozen - 2014-08-23 15:20

Well

It's not actual a "problem". The .gifs usuage lot of CPU, therefore, when loading the thread "LFS's gifs [56k beware] " the CPU is loading lots of .gifs, all the ones placed on the page you're viewing.

When checking a full page full of gifs in that thread, my cpu went to 28% In Google Chrome. It all depends on your CPU specs. In case its a very "slow" one, it may reach the 100% easily

RE: full cpu usage from gfycat - Barney - 2014-08-23 15:30

(2014-08-23 12:14)Barney Wrote:  first 1/3 viewing page 74 with several gfy embedded, 2/3 page before with normal gifs, 3/3 fourm main index.

page 74 http://forum.city-driving.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=885&page=74 one gif, one gfycat embedded. cpu usage 100%

page 73 http://forum.city-driving.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=885&page=73
15 gifs no problems.

RE: full cpu usage from gfycat - Frozen - 2014-08-23 15:36

Have you used multiple browsers? Try google chrome, which is the one I used

RE: full cpu usage from gfycat - Pipa - 2014-08-23 16:14

Does it only happen briefly[max 5s] once you open the thread or is it persistent?

I have some slight lag for less than a second, but i see 50 posts per page so i have to load a lot of gifs at once.

RE: full cpu usage from gfycat - GT4tube - 2014-08-23 16:48

Get new PC!

RE: full cpu usage from gfycat - Barney - 2014-08-23 18:20

(2014-08-23 16:48)GT4tube Wrote:  Get new PC!
Get new attitude! and stay outta here...

(2014-08-23 15:36)Frozen Wrote:  Have you used multiple browsers? Try google chrome, which is the one I used
since internet explorer is even worse and ff is good for everything else including addons/plugins i wont get rid of it only cuz gfycat

(2014-08-23 16:14)Pipa Wrote:  Does it only happen briefly[max 5s] once you open the thread or is it persistent?

I have some slight lag for less than a second, but i see 50 posts per page so i have to load a lot of gifs at once.

its persistent. in taskmanager one of those green squares is about 5 seconds, and also let it open for 2mins after snapshot.
have cable dsl 32k and pipelining acitvated so page with 50 gifs isnt a problem, its just this gfycatembedthingy.
it actually converts the gifs to mp4, but what kind of player is that? gonna have a closer look at that.....

RE: full cpu usage from gfycat - Pipa - 2014-08-23 18:47

(2014-08-23 18:20)Barney Wrote:  its persistent. in taskmanager one of those green squares is about 5 seconds, and also let it open for 2mins after snapshot.
have cable dsl 32k and pipelining acitvated so page with 50 gifs isnt a problem, its just this gfycatembedthingy.
it actually converts the gifs to mp4, but what kind of player is that? gonna have a closer look at that.....

Damn that sucks. What browser version are you using, is it the latest one?

From what i know it should use html5 to play the video. Do you have the same problems while opening this:
http://fat.gfycat.com/ExcitableIgnorantGemsbuck.mp4

RE: full cpu usage from gfycat - Barney - 2014-08-23 18:53

ye its latest. also had opened it beofre directly(link u gave). decent 50% usage. but not stuttering at all... can harldy scroll in the gif thread.

im using vlc player by default, so it might be the vlc firefox plugin?!

u have that same rightlick menue?
[Image: 8hifqxkm2c92.png]

or is it flash? or what the heck is that actually whats playin the vid?

RE: full cpu usage from gfycat - Pipa - 2014-08-23 20:11

Did you try disabling the vlc plugin in firefox?

RE: full cpu usage from gfycat - Pete - 2014-08-23 20:17

Because the GIFs are being rendered in your browser (JS), it's bound to be more computationally expensive than a standard GIF. I am surprised to see that much CPU usage though.

RE: full cpu usage from gfycat - Pipa - 2014-08-23 23:10

(2014-08-23 20:17)Pete Wrote:  Because the GIFs are being rendered in your browser (JS), it's bound to be more computationally expensive than a standard GIF. I am surprised to see that much CPU usage though.

I think it's got something to do with spoilered gfycat videos already running in the background and the sheer mass of them lately.

However can you try starting firefox in safe mode and check if that improves it?

RE: full cpu usage from gfycat - Chuck - 2014-08-24 08:52

(2014-08-23 18:53)Barney Wrote:  ...
or is it flash? or what the heck is that actually whats playin the vid?

It is a HTML5 video-tag. Your browser plays it natively without any 3rd party plugin.

RE: full cpu usage from gfycat - Barney - 2014-08-24 09:10

ITS ALL HOWLINS FAULT! Tongue
well not really, but i kind of missed that there are six ridiculously big gifs in his post http://forum.city-driving.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=885&pid=134458#pid134458 however i think its still not normal:
vlc plugin disabled-> no progress, uninstalled->nope, safemode->nope... also tried here in first post some gfygifs in spoiler/not in spoiler->no difference...
but: in about:config setting media.autoplay.enabled to false brought a reasonable decrease of cpu usage. only a workaround imho and ill have to see what other sites are effected by this, but for now its at least viewable.
its bit unlucky that spoilered things get loaded and autoplayed aswell.

if you know a bit about the configs in firefox try network.http.pipelining true, network.http.pipelining.max-optimistic-requests 16 (or 32). with good cable connection and good pc also network.http.pipelining.aggressive true.
if u dont dont what im talking about, better leave it, u could mess things up there Wink

thx so far for any kind of hints

RE: full cpu usage from gfycat - Pipa - 2014-08-24 11:51

(2014-08-24 09:10)Barney Wrote:  but: in about:config setting media.autoplay.enabled to false brought a reasonable decrease of cpu usage. only a workaround imho and ill have to see what other sites are effected by this, but for now its at least viewable.

I guess that prevents Howlins huge gifs to play in the background until you choose to view them.

Nice hint.

RE: full cpu usage from gfycat - KaraK - 2014-08-26 09:21

--Ignore--

RE: full cpu usage from gfycat - Chuck - 2014-08-30 07:06

Administrator Message by: Chuck

Guys, cut the picture crap, this isn't a picture show. Say something on topic or say nothing at all.

RE: full cpu usage from gfycat - Howlin - 2014-08-30 10:45

(2014-08-24 09:10)Barney Wrote:  ITS ALL HOWLINS FAULT! Tongue

Not my fault they were so huge, I have no clue as to why they show up that big on here. Only happened that way since I used the [gfy] things.

RE: full cpu usage from gfycat - Pipa - 2014-08-30 11:23

(2014-08-30 10:45)Howlin Wrote:  Not my fault they were so huge, I have no clue as to why they show up that big on here. Only happened that way since I used the [gfy] things.

Images get resized to fit the forum style while the gfy videos will not. Gifs are images so they will get auto resized, but they will keep the same filesize.

I would keep them below 800*600 as you ll save bandwith and put less strain on peoples hardware. There really is no reason to have them that large.