[TC] Gaming Forums
Current message board discussion - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Current message board discussion (/showthread.php?tid=15277)

Current message board discussion - Carl - 2014-12-16 22:42

What are you thoughts on the current one 'MyBB Group' I was on their website browsing, but then thought have you guys ever thought about using a different type of forum?

Do you guys like the current forum?

Are there any others that can be used?

Which version is this, 1.8 or 1.6?

RE: Current message board discussion - Chuck - 2014-12-17 07:01

None, no, its okay, no idea, 1.6 Wink

RE: Current message board discussion - Frozen - 2014-12-17 07:02

I like MyBB, it has everything you need, smooth and clean. Moving to another forum software would be unnecessary work imo.

RE: Current message board discussion - Spark - 2014-12-17 07:51

(2014-12-17 07:02)Frozen Wrote:  I like MyBB, it has everything you need, smooth and clean. Moving to another forum software would be unnecessary work imo.

Pretty much this. ^

RE: Current message board discussion - Pete - 2014-12-18 05:31

Without spammer protection, MyBB is a disaster.

We make people enter their LFS Username to ensure they're not a bot and to prove they have an CityDriving license.

Even though MyBB is easy to manage, to customise and just works for what we want, I still think it's bloated and detracts from what people want to read, the posts, without heavy modification.

I've been following the development of something called Discourse which is basically what I see as an ideal solution for keeping the focus on topic.

I just think this forum has a bit too much stuff on it now to change. Maybe I'll look into Discourse soon and see if the many advantages outweight the disadvantages of moving from MyBB (legacy).

The list of features is huge, and brilliant:

http://www.discourse.org/about/

You can pay Discourse to set it up and maintain it for you or you can fork the GitHub repository and install it on your own server yourself. For free.

The bottom line is, MyBB works just fine for tiny communities like ours. Maybe we'll move at some point, but not yet.

RE: Current message board discussion - Frozen - 2014-12-18 06:58

Looks good, not sure if you looked into XenForo, thats what Assetto Corsa 'Forums and other leagues use.

RE: Current message board discussion - Carl - 2014-12-18 15:49

Yeah,

Only reason why I brought this up, is because it works for what we need it for and all, but, I don't believe that this is the best in terms of what can be done and stuff.

It just feels like it is lacking things Sad

RE: Current message board discussion - BP - 2014-12-18 15:50

Even I'm getting bored of MyBB and frankly I wouldn't mind if we moved to other forum software, with that being said I don't think there is a good enough reason to move at the moment.

RE: Current message board discussion - Bez - 2014-12-18 15:51

I really like the look of Discourse. Would we be able to transfer all threads from the existing forum? If not that would be a pain in the ass.

RE: Current message board discussion - Pete - 2014-12-18 17:44

(2014-12-18 15:51)Bez Wrote:  I really like the look of Discourse. Would we be able to transfer all threads from the existing forum? If not that would be a pain in the ass.

It would be impossible. Discourse works on tagging to separate threads. MyBB and other forums work on physical sections for things.

This thread would be under the tag "forum suggestions" for example.

(2014-12-18 15:50)BoyPower Wrote:  Even I'm getting bored of MyBB and frankly I wouldn't mind if we moved to other forum software, with that being said I don't think there is a good enough reason to move at the moment.

I'm not getting bored of it. It works for what we use it for. At the end of the day, what makes a forum is the content but I guess 25% of that is the way the forum itself works and how you find and read stuff.

RE: Current message board discussion - KaraK - 2014-12-19 11:22

I like MyBB, it works great and I personally don't see the need to move to a different type of forum software.

RE: Current message board discussion - Howlin - 2014-12-19 12:05

Agree with KaraK, it's pointless to change when we have all this here. Also I think Discourse looks like shit Unsure