[TC] Gaming Forums
Caffeine - My story - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Caffeine - My story (/showthread.php?tid=15731)

Caffeine - My story - Sebas - 2015-01-18 14:23

I WAS a big caffeine drinker. Anything with that magic substance in it was MY drink of choice. Coffee, Pops, Energy drinks.

1 Year ago, I was diagnosed with IBS [Irritable bowel syndrome] and I had to cut back on coffee because my body couldn't tolerate it anymore. I was left with Energy drinks and Pops.

6 Months ago, i suffered painful palpitations. I was sweating bullets, I had trouble breathing and I also was twitching pretty bad from all places on my body. I went to the hospital and they said this was caused by a rapid absorption of an Energy drink. This then was also out of the equation.

I was then left with Pops. I could drink them all day long. I woke up with them and went to sleep with a pop as well. Dark pops were my drink of choice (Pepsi, Coke, Root Beer, etc.). On a daily basis, I could drink anywhere from 1L to 2L of it easily. Then, disaster struck 1 month ago. I started having trouble sleeping, my body didn't send my the usual signals to tell me I was hungry. I was also having immense emotional breakdowns and i felt like crap. Nothing could satisfy me and the only thing that brought some "sensation" of being fine was when I drank a pop. Nothing else.

At that point I decided that I needed to stop. Altogether. NO. MORE. CAFFEINE. Here is the detailed story of what happened in the following weeks.

Please note that Caffeine has an usual "half-life" of 3-4hours and that it cumulates when you add more in your body. If you do the maths simply, it takes for example 4 hours to eliminate 50mg of caffeine out a 100mg drink. It then takes 4 more hours to eliminate 25mg of the remaining 50 and so on. It can take days for all the caffeine to exit your body If you take too much.

WEEK 1
- Day 1 thru 3 were fine. I didn't feel anything different other than an immense craving of drinking a pop. I replaced the craving with all-natural juice. This worked for a while.
- Day 4: Sleepiness starts. I began to feel sleepy all day long. The only thing I wanted to do was sleep. All day. All the time. I went to work at 10pm, ended at 6am and went to sleep to wake up at 9pm to start again.
- Day 5 to 7: Same thing.

WEEK 2
- Day 8 to 14: HEADACHES! God that was intense. I was having day-long headaches with immense pain to extremities of my body. I could feel my body started to suffer from "lack" of Caffeine and was craving for more. During week 2, i suffered from [Restless-Leg Syndrome] and was having issues sleeping because of it. This was starting to get the best of me.

WEEK 3
- Day 9 to 21: Stomach issues. I feel bloated all day long. I'm having issues passing gas and it's painful as well. I take some medication to relieve the pression. I'm starting to sleep better.

WEEK 4
- Day 21 up to now: Wait, It finally gets better. After 4 weeks i'm finally kinda back on track. Headaches are gone but i'm still having issues with my stomach. My doctor said I needed better eating habits because of all those years of drinking soda took its toll. I have to eat more fibers and I have vitamins daily.

Still think Soda is good for you? Think again.

RE: Caffeine - My story - ARoN - 2015-01-18 14:32

Good story with message. I'm just wondering why some people don't realize the negative effect on the body consuming to much these drinks. Especially energy drinks.

hope youll get better

RE: Caffeine - My story - Crille - 2015-01-18 14:39

Just about to start on my cup of coffee Biggrin I think moderation is the key to a healthy body. You seam to have gone a bit extreme with your drinking hehe. Hope you get your stomach stable Smile

RE: Caffeine - My story - Audiojack - 2015-01-18 15:42

I've replaced most of my soft drinks with carbonated water, because the fizz is really the thing I like and not the sweet taste Biggrin

But the caffeine and lack of fiber aren't really the things that upset my stomach, a lack of regular meals can do it very easily though. W00t

RE: Caffeine - My story - Spark - 2015-01-18 15:51

Wish you a very speedy recovery bro. Best of luck and less pain. Wink