[TC] Gaming Forums
Speed trap - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Server & InSim Suggestions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+---- Thread: Speed trap (/showthread.php?tid=17530)

Pages: 1 2

Speed trap - KooKoo - 2015-05-21 08:44

Hi,

This might sound horrible but, I think speedtraps should be removed as a feature for cops. I don't get the point of it, You don't earn money, XP, or anything. All you earn is players being annoyed.

Sometimes I laser suspects and when I initiate a pursuit and they speed by the radar then I can't fine him and be rewarded. Instead his money is just gone to no one.

I know most will disagree but I just thought to share opinion. Maybe some might agree.
I suggested this because there is someone in the server who always is on speed-trap and it's pretty annoying for the cops as well. I won't mention him. But other cops don't use it as much.

KooKoo

RE: Speed trap - BP - 2015-05-21 08:48

Already suggested here: http://forum.city-driving.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=14324

RE: Speed trap - KooKoo - 2015-05-21 09:01

Can you merge it?

RE: Speed trap - BP - 2015-05-21 09:02

I think it's pretty clear the idea isn't going to happen, judging by the replies on the other thread. I'm not saying that for certain or on behalf of the team, but I still think it's quite obvious.

I don't think there is any reason why people would suddenly have a different viewpoint on the idea now.

RE: Speed trap - Bez - 2015-05-21 11:15

If we did remove the speed traps from the police, we'd have to incoperate some insim code for static cameras made with visual objects. That's the only other alternative to the !speedtrap command. This would be more realistic IMO. Even incoperate average speed check cameras for Westhill when roadworks are on the track.

That's if Chuck wants to get creative with coding! Biggrin

RE: Speed trap - KooKoo - 2015-05-21 11:45

(2015-05-21 11:15)Bez Wrote:  If we did remove the speed traps from the police, we'd have to incoperate some insim code for static cameras made with visual objects. That's the only other alternative to the !speedtrap command. This would be more realistic IMO. Even incoperate average speed check cameras for Westhill when roadworks are on the track.

Brilliant! So speed radars which are objects and lasers are sent to cops? Tongue

RE: Speed trap - Bez - 2015-05-21 11:46

The static object would act just as the !speedtrap command 24/7. Cops can still laser people.

RE: Speed trap - Barney - 2015-05-21 11:54

yeah right... 24/7 speedtrap lmao. not that suspects alrdy loose one to two thousand by speeding in one chase. plus 1k fine. plus speedtraps... while cops actually earn money. please add -100 per 4 seconds for cars being sideways. will suggest... brb making thread

RE: Speed trap - KooKoo - 2015-05-21 11:56

(2015-05-21 11:46)Bez Wrote:  The static object would act just as the !speedtrap command 24/7. Cops can still laser people.

Well it can act like a speedradar but with respect I don't think it should fine them automatically, it should send the laser to the cop chat and any cop near the speeder then initiates a pursuit. That's what cops are for. Automatic things are not nice to humans Tongue

RE: Speed trap - Olli - 2015-05-21 12:30

Simple answer, no thanks. However, Bez's idea sounds quite cool.

RE: Speed trap - Dino - 2015-05-21 12:37

(2015-05-21 11:15)Bez Wrote:  If we did remove the speed traps from the police, we'd have to incoperate some insim code for static cameras made with visual objects. That's the only other alternative to the !speedtrap command. This would be more realistic IMO. Even incoperate average speed check cameras for Westhill when roadworks are on the track.

Why would we HAVE to add static cameras if speedtraps were removed?

Your post sounds like server ends in a chaos if !speedtraps were removed but no other automatic speedfine gets introduced.

Speedtraps don't make the roads safer, they often just cause a brakecheck chaos right in front of the speedtrap.

Why don't we add a feature that forcespecs everyone who goes faster than the allowed speed? Right, cause it's a game and noone cares when people speed and they already lose money automatically, quite a lot if going way too fast.

RE: Speed trap - Luke - 2015-05-21 12:42

I don't see why they should be removed. If you have the money to speed then you have the money to accept the fines from a speed trap. It ain't a racing server where you can bomb it down a fast straight and get away with it all the time.

Sure in chases it could get a little expensive where you are running from the cops but still get fined a high amount due to excessive speeding, so maybe something could get done about that.

Otherwise I don't see the big deal, I like having speedtraps, either to see how much money I can actually loose by going as fast as possible or forcing me to take more care and slow down before I have fun bombing it around the track.

RE: Speed trap - kon4a - 2015-05-21 12:46

As far as I know, the server and InSim is made in a way to represent the real-life rules, speedtraps, cops, chases etc. That means that speedtraps shouldn't be removed. If you would get chased IRL, every single speed camera would flash you if you would be speeding. It's just obviously realistic. And the same goes for "brakechecks" right before speed cameras. The ones that have been driving on the M6 or any other managed motorway in the UK will know, that people who speed in the third lane ALWAYS slow down before the cameras, then keep speeding again. It happens everywhere in the world, therefore speedtraps are just simply realistic.
Bez's idea of static speed cameras sounds good, tho.

RE: Speed trap - KooKoo - 2015-05-21 13:08

Ok, we can simulate a real life citydriving by placing speedradars that DO NOT fine the speeder immediately but instead send the laser over to the police chat. Then a cop will do the job.

I mean really, what's the point of speedtraps if cops are there?

Make it like real life, as soon as a speeder is caught it gets sent over to the police, so therefore the laser will be sent over to the police chat and the police will do the job providing the !showlaser from the radar.

RE: Speed trap - MariusMM - 2015-05-21 13:13

RE: Speed trap - VirtualTourist - 2015-05-21 13:17

(2015-05-21 13:13)MariusMM Wrote:  I think also the massive spam it can cause is bothering a lot of people. Maybe reduce the amount of messages from 2 to 1.

Atm it's like this:
Dude was clocked @ 141kph / 87mph
Dude was fined 160 € for speeding

I mean, no one needs to know the first line? Alternatively, you could make the first line show only to the person that is fined, so it's something like this:

You were clocked @ 141kph / 87mph <--private msg to the speeder
Dude was fined 160 € for speeding <--public msg in chat

This would help with the spam yes.

+1 to this.

-1 to removing them altogether.

RE: Speed trap - Dizzle - 2015-05-21 13:49

I want to be able to !laseroncomingtraffic while im traveling...

Keep speedtraps and remove the fine. Let us cops do our jobs.

RE: Speed trap - BP - 2015-05-21 13:51

+1 to less speedtrap spam.

(2015-05-21 13:49)Dizzle Wrote:  I want to be able to !laseroncomingtraffic while im traveling...

You will never be able to catch every speeder though.

RE: Speed trap - KooKoo - 2015-05-21 13:52

(2015-05-21 13:49)Dizzle Wrote:  I want to be able to !laseroncomingtraffic while im traveling...

Exactly. That's what im trying to say. No fines, let the cops do the job.

RE: Speed trap - kon4a - 2015-05-21 15:19

(2015-05-21 13:08)KooKoo Wrote:  Ok, we can simulate a real life citydriving by placing speedradars that DO NOT fine the speeder immediately but instead send the laser over to the police chat. Then a cop will do the job.

I mean really, what's the point of speedtraps if cops are there?

Make it like real life, as soon as a speeder is caught it gets sent over to the police, so therefore the laser will be sent over to the police chat and the police will do the job providing the !showlaser from the radar.

As far as I know, the speed cameras on roads automatically fine the person, by sending the data to a Police control centre (or bringing the film from older machines to them for consideration) which then send out a letter to your home address, not send out a cop to chase you (if the cop could even find you afterwards). It works that way in most countries. Imagine what will happen, when a bunch of guys will decide to set a speed record while all the cops are in a chase. Ignore it? Not realistic. If we talk about how realistic this system is, then the existing one is the closest version to real life. Even tho I would +1 for putting the fine money in a raffle or some other stuff.
If a cop wants to chase speeders, he will park up and !laser them, instead of chasing someone, hell knows how far from the actual speeding, while that person could immediately pit to avoid any fines.
Basically, the big fuss about this is because people keep speeding even after being fined, therefore being fined even more and more.
Rules from where COPs can speedtrap should be put in place, as speedtrapping from OOB or bushes should be illegal (although most countries hide the cameras to catch speeders without their knowledge).

I am not saying that that idea is bad in general, but for realism purposes I'd keep the existing system.