[TC] Gaming Forums
Electronics Help - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Electronics Help (/showthread.php?tid=17703)

Electronics Help - Ash - 2015-06-01 20:37

Hey guys!

Been tasked to illuminate my dads shed lol.

I was thinking about using the usual Led strips everyone buys... http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=151563603317

Th idea I have is to get an old car battery and wire them up. I'm guessing the car battery will be fine as the led strip will barely consume much power?

Anyway, will just get a switch to flick them on and off. But the main part of this post, is to work out if I will need to fuse them, use resistors etc...

Please help lol

Thanks

Ash

RE: Electronics Help - Leon - 2015-06-01 21:33

First things first: Why not hook it up to the mains and use a proper light fixture? A car battery will drain by itself at some point without any charge. I'll reply with something more helpful in a bit. Just want to make sure that this is the route you want to take.

RE: Electronics Help - Cola - 2015-06-02 05:19

Just get a adapter capable of delivering 5A, rated at 12V. Then you will not need to add anything. Agree with Leon, don't go for the battery.

RE: Electronics Help - VirtualTourist - 2015-06-02 11:20

Aha! We all go through that phase of hooking everything up to a car battery!

Really though, what the others said, it's really only for playing around, if it's a permanent fixture, you want permanent power source.

RE: Electronics Help - Nathan - 2015-06-02 12:19

agree no battery, if you want to get clever about it, wire it up to a solar panel with a battery then free powaas, leds are a good choice due to low power drain compared to more conventional lighting sources

RE: Electronics Help - VirtualTourist - 2015-06-02 12:32

(2015-06-02 12:19)nathan Wrote:  agree no battery, if you want to get clever about it, wire it up to a solar panel with a battery then free powaas, leds are a good choice due to low power drain compared to more conventional lighting sources

Don't forget to factor in the cost of the solar panel though. Smile

Are they really cheap enough to just throw one at saving a few pence on electric?

You would want a decent one, not like the ones you see in the little garden lights that cost a quid, they die out very quickly and stop working altogether.

I'm thinking more a 2 panel set up, on an angled shed roof, to maximise the time the sun is hitting it. For all we know the shed may be under a big tree, so yeah. Tongue

RE: Electronics Help - Dizzle - 2015-06-02 14:40

(2015-06-02 12:32)VirtualTourist Wrote:  
(2015-06-02 12:19)nathan Wrote:  agree no battery, if you want to get clever about it, wire it up to a solar panel with a battery then free powaas, leds are a good choice due to low power drain compared to more conventional lighting sources

Don't forget to factor in the cost of the solar panel though. Smile

Are they really cheap enough to just throw one at saving a few pence on electric?

You would want a decent one, not like the ones you see in the little garden lights that cost a quid, they die out very quickly and stop working altogether.

I'm thinking more a 2 panel set up, on an angled shed roof, to maximise the time the sun is hitting it. For all we know the shed may be under a big tree, so yeah. Tongue

He IS talking about a shed, and not a machine shop that needs lighting. lol

RE: Electronics Help - Nathan - 2015-06-03 20:08

Array of pound land torches linked to hamsters on wheels.

RE: Electronics Help - Louis - 2015-06-03 20:43

Get a fluorescent tube on it!