[TC] Gaming Forums
Stuck allen bolt - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Stuck allen bolt (/showthread.php?tid=21372)

Pages: 1 2

Stuck allen bolt - Cola - 2016-01-31 10:12

Hey,

I'm changing the exhaust on my bike, and unfortunately one of the allen bolts holding one of the downpipes in place is stripped. I simply cannot get it loose, and its in a super tight spot.

Anyone got a solution to what I can do to get it out of the way? I'm going mental here Cursing

RE: Stuck allen bolt - Leon - 2016-01-31 10:16

How much room is there? I usually hammer an oversized torx bit into stripped allen screws. Find the largest torx bit that fits into the allen head and go one size up. Align it by twisting the torx bit until it catches on the remains of the hex shape of the screw and hammer that sumbitch into it. Never fails.

RE: Stuck allen bolt - Pete - 2016-01-31 10:26

Great idea. Could come in handy one day.

RE: Stuck allen bolt - Nathan - 2016-01-31 11:15

what leon said or worst case mole grips on the outside and turn it that way..

or drill it if all else fails

RE: Stuck allen bolt - Nick - 2016-01-31 11:35

Can you apply heat to it?

RE: Stuck allen bolt - Owl - 2016-01-31 11:37

(2016-01-31 11:15)Nathan Wrote:  or drill it if all else fails

This. What my Dad and I had to do on his old Superb when we were changing the camshaft and a bolt stripped on the crank bearing. Worked a treat with no damage.

RE: Stuck allen bolt - Cola - 2016-01-31 12:50

Leon, thanks, I actually went and looked for it, guess I'm gonna go get me a Torx 35 then, as the size 30 is the largest I have, and still isn't big enough.

Nick, Yes I can try that, but space is very limited.

RE: Stuck allen bolt - Leon - 2016-01-31 14:23

It's definitely the first thing you want to try before resorting to destructive methods. Just make sure you catch the edges of the hex shape and hammer it as far in as it can go before twisting it. If you round it again, extracting it will get much harder, so make sure the bit goes far enough in. Hammering the bolt will also help loosen it if the threads are corroded.

You probably know this, but you don't want to use a drilled bit for it, as they're weak and are prone to snapping. Get a solid one. They're much stronger.

RE: Stuck allen bolt - Cola - 2016-01-31 16:44

I cant do anything to it. I'm taking it to a friend of mine who's a motorcycle dealer with a shop and everything, will have it fixed there before I decide to go nuts on my new bike with a hammer.

RE: Stuck allen bolt - Nick - 2016-01-31 16:57

If you need to remove any other bolts, spray them now with WD40 or similar. You'll thank me later. Just make sure you clean any excess spray from surfaces that will get hot otherwise whoosh kaboom.

RE: Stuck allen bolt - RedJohn - 2016-01-31 17:08

WD40?
E: nvm nick said it

RE: Stuck allen bolt - Cola - 2016-01-31 17:19

Thanks, have been soaking them in WD40 all day. Been using it to clean/protect the surface of the exhaust on my old bike for over a year, never went whoooosh. Sometimes had an odd smell but that's all lol. It's worse if its in a closed off area.

RE: Stuck allen bolt - Sebas - 2016-01-31 17:53

Use a punch to make a line in the bolt. Then use a flat-head screwdriver to get it out. Leon's option is also great.

Good luck!

RE: Stuck allen bolt - Blade3562 - 2016-01-31 18:27

I don't know what retailers you have across the pond, but I love my craftsman nut/bolt extractors. Essentially you twist it on or hammer it on then crank with a ratchet. I've used it on VW driveshaft bolts which are triple squares.

I'm going to assume it's similiar to my experience with a rabbit(golf) head though. It's an aluminum head with a steel manifold and steel bolt. So galvanic corrosion everywhere. Apply some heat attempt again. If unsuccessful you will most likely have to beak the head off the bolt then remove the "stud". And as a last ditch effort if all else fails very carefully and very precisely drill it out. Then chase the threads with a tap and you should be good to go.

RE: Stuck allen bolt - Cola - 2016-01-31 20:45

Problem is a hammer wont fit. A drill wont fit. Pliers wont fit. Nothing will fit except something long and narrow like a screwdriver or similar, making it a bitch to do anything to. As said I'm just gonna park it at my friends tomorrow and have him look at it. I will go nuts spending another second near those crappy bolts after spending almost 5 hours trying to make it work.

RE: Stuck allen bolt - RedJohn - 2016-01-31 20:57

Can u take a pic cola?

RE: Stuck allen bolt - Leon - 2016-01-31 22:00

(2016-01-31 20:45)Cola Wrote:  Problem is a hammer wont fit. A drill wont fit. Pliers wont fit. Nothing will fit except something long and narrow like a screwdriver or similar, making it a bitch to do anything to. As said I'm just gonna park it at my friends tomorrow and have him look at it. I will go nuts spending another second near those crappy bolts after spending almost 5 hours trying to make it work.

Can't you use a long bit like this one?

[Image: 20K826_AS01?$mdmain$]

RE: Stuck allen bolt - Jappe - 2016-02-01 18:00

Drill a hole in it, then use a left-hand thread cutter. Try to get the cutter in the hole slowly by turning it left (as it is a left-hand tread cutter) and when the cutter grips in the hole, the screw will come out because you're still turning left! I always use this method at work

E: i have no idea that "left-hand thread cutter" is the correct word.. But you get what i mean, right?
E2: Sorry, didnt read that a drill wont fit Tongue

RE: Stuck allen bolt - Chuck - 2016-02-01 18:24

Maybe weld another screw to it as an extension to get better grip?

RE: Stuck allen bolt - Audiojack - 2016-02-01 18:35

(2016-02-01 18:24)Chuck Wrote:  Maybe weld another screw to it as an extension to get better grip?

A MIG welder is essential I've noticed... For stuff like that and for fabricating ridiculous custom tools for extra reach and leverage. W00t

But if you don't have one, then I don't have any better ideas than already given.