[TC] Gaming Forums
How to use/configure/cruise better with LFS Automatic Transmission Simulator - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Tutorials & Guides (/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+---- Thread: How to use/configure/cruise better with LFS Automatic Transmission Simulator (/showthread.php?tid=23648)

How to use/configure/cruise better with LFS Automatic Transmission Simulator - Raphi - 2016-08-28 21:41

Hey guys

As some people asked me for help with this software: LFS AT Simulator, it's time to create a tutorial of this one.

This tutorial will be done in three parts:
-I.Setting everything up,
-II.Configuring it and explanation of it,
-III.Tips about driving/cruising with it.

I.Setting everything up.
When you downloaded this program (Download it!), extract it to your preferred folder. My preference is the LFS folder, but it works on every folder on your computer.

To make this program working, you will need to go to your LFS folder, and modify the cfg.txt.
To do it, go to your LFS folder, here's normally the content of your LFS folder:
[Image: WeNWK77.png]
(could depend of what did you add)
You'll need to modify this file:
[Image: pfsloBT.png]
Open it, and modify these following lines:
[Image: 9WQorVq.png]
Normally you have something quite different. Don't worry, replace what you have with this picture above, and that's it. Smile

Once you did everything above, let's open LFS and then the program. Choose a car and a track, and start the race.
(if it says "LFS not opened or race not launched" or something related, don't worry and press ok.)
Then, modify this. You need to modify these options, otherwise the program won't work.
[Image: sX2ELSP.png]
[Image: e1i6ESZ.png]
[Image: i174SOL.png]
(by the way, these options can be modified on the Controls and Driver options, while being in the Options Menu)
Normally, if you did everything like me, it should work. If not, ask me on this thread, and I'm going to help you. Smile

II.Configuring it and explanation of it.
As you may know, this program is to simulate an Automatic gearbox, which basically works like this:
-put the gearbox in Drive mode,
-relesase the brake pedal and/or the parking brake,
-drive.
That is as simple as that, and that's the same on Live for Speed with this "tiny" but so useful program.
As you're curious, you're gonna ask to me: "How can I modify when the car gears up, or gears down, and so on??"
You have two ways to do it:
-the "hard one", which will make you go directly on config files. Not pretty easy, and we have a beautiful GUI to do it.
-the "ezpz" one which is modifying everything with a GUI, and I will explain how to use it here.

To open this useful GUI, minimize LFS. Go on your Taskbar, and show your hidden icons. Then, right click on this icon:
[Image: OfcfXeU.png]
Select "Configure". Normally a new window will appear, with some buttons and cases.
[Image: AnshDvd.png]
You can configure a number of things, like at what base RPM it shifts, and how much throttle is needed for that, and so much more. Smile

Note: If it's not shifting accurately at the exact RPM you told it, it's because pushing the throttle adds a little RPM to that base number. This is new after version 5.6; it's now a dynamic shifting system; so this is not a bug Smile

[Throttle config]
"NextGearSensitivity="
- This is the first throttle percentage before it shifts. Basically this controls the earliest shift point (related to NextGearRPMSensitivity)

"NextGearSensitivity2="
- Same as above, but for the next shifting point.

"NextGearSensitivity3="
- Same as above, but for the 3rd shifting point. Anything higher than this is considered "floored"

"FlooredGearSensitivityLow="
- if throttle (in percent) is higher than this and lower than FlooredRPMSensitivityHigh, it does kickdown to previous gear. (Bugged? This doesn't seem to be doing anything at the moment, so leave this at 0.)

"FlooredGearSensitivityHigh="
- This number is what % of throttle is considered "flooring it". Basically it will kickdown if needed when you are up here.

[RPM config]
"NextGearRPMSensitivity="
- The soonest RPM to shift up (low throttle)

"NextGearRPMSensitivity2="
- Next shifting point (medium throttle)

"NextGearRPMSensitivity3="
- Third shifting point (high throttle)

Note: New in 6.0 there is now dynamic shifting, so the 3 above numbers are the base shifting points. Pushing the throttle further adds more RPM until it will shift.

"FlooredRPMSensitivityLow="
- If you are below this RPM, it will kickdown at medium throttle to prevent clutch burn at low RPM. Note: I usually keep this at 0 to disable it, because it causes too much kickdown-ing sometimes. But if it's not kicking down at low RPM in a high gear, turn this to 3000 or so

"FlooredRPMSensitivityHigh="
- This is for when you floor it at low RPM. When your RPM is below this number, it will tell it to kickdown as many gears as needed for power.

"TooLowRPM="
- This is what tells it to shift to a previous gear when RPMs drop too low, meaning below this number. This is mainly seen when coming to a stop or slowing down at low speed.

The last right part is basically the "general" config part, such as assigning a keybind, setting revlimit and much more. Here you can test and do whatever you want. Smile

-III.Tips about driving/cruising with it.
(videos are coming soon, in probably one or two days)
To use this program at it's best, here's some tips after more than 100hours at playing with it. Smile

One of the first tip is to drive smoothly. You'll see that this program is done for this, and you will even save some fuel, tyres, and so on. Useful for long trips. Smile

If you really want to drive fast or "racing", use the "HoldGear" mode; in fact, this mode is a "Manual" mode, you can downshift when you want (not higher than the revlimit) and you can upshift when you want. This mode can be used in chase to avoid lags, like waiting for the car to kickdown everytime you released the gas. If you don't like Manual mode, there's the Sport mode done for you. Basically the same as Economic mode but if you release gas, the car will keep this gear until you press the gas smoothier or heavier. Then it will upshift or downshift, depending of the situation.

Before entering into pits for example changing of car, or something else, press the "Pause" mode. This will avoid some bugs, and having to reload the program.

Last tip, is to use cruise setup with spaced and "long" (depends of your preference) gearing setup. This will avoid changing gears everytime you press the gas a bit more, otherwise you will have to set the shifting method into the program, depending of your setup.
AT setups I use everyday on the server are on the attachement part. Note: this are my my only preferences about it, feel free to use your own setup, it will work anyway.

Hope this tutorial will help you, feel free to add comments below, videos are coming soon I hope. Biggrin

RE: How to use/configure/cruise better with LFS Automatic Transmission Simulator - Kyle - 2016-08-29 09:52

Nice guide, I haven't tried this yet but might try it shortly!

Edit: I've tried it out and it's quite nice, definitely good for cruising!

RE: How to use/configure/cruise better with LFS Automatic Transmission Simulator - Adorable - 2016-08-29 11:41

Good job! Smile

RE: How to use/configure/cruise better with LFS Automatic Transmission Simulator - Yukine - 2016-08-29 12:12

I got an easier solution.

Nice guide mate. Smile

RE: How to use/configure/cruise better with LFS Automatic Transmission Simulator - StreetFX - 2016-08-29 12:31

(2016-08-29 12:12)Yukine Wrote:  I got an easier solution.

Nice guide mate. Smile

Ahahaha, nice one Yukine. Good work on the manual Raphi!

RE: How to use/configure/cruise better with LFS Automatic Transmission Simulator - Raphi - 2016-08-29 18:15

(2016-08-29 12:12)Yukine Wrote:  I got an easier solution.

Nice guide mate. Smile

And when you're lazy of the left foot? Biggrin

By the way, thanks guys ! Smile

RE: How to use/configure/cruise better with LFS Automatic Transmission Simulator - RazwieGaming - 2016-09-12 15:16

Well written! No idea if I'm going to use it - but welldone on it!

RE: How to use/configure/cruise better with LFS Automatic Transmission Simulator - Banana4Life - 2016-09-25 10:21

Can I ask what settings everyone uses? Thanks Smile

RE: How to use/configure/cruise better with LFS Automatic Transmission Simulator - Yukine - 2016-10-18 20:51

Raph', any idea?
http://puu.sh/rNzbn/0b27d6fab5.png

RE: How to use/configure/cruise better with LFS Automatic Transmission Simulator - Raphi - 2016-10-19 12:03

(2016-10-18 20:51)Yukine Wrote:  Raph', any idea?
http://puu.sh/rNzbn/0b27d6fab5.png

Maybe try to launch it with XP SP3 compatibility...
That's weird, it works well with me :/
Try to launch LFSShifter before launching the game, and then after see what happens?
EDIT: If you can try to do a short vid of what's happening, to test if I can reproduce it.

RE: How to use/configure/cruise better with LFS Automatic Transmission Simulator - vaideliokk - 2019-09-01 16:38

I have no idea how to use it nothing happens when i run it

RE: How to use/configure/cruise better with LFS Automatic Transmission Simulator - Kyle - 2019-09-02 12:50

(2019-09-01 16:38)vaideliokk Wrote:  I have no idea how to use it nothing happens when i run it

Try double-checking your anti-virus software isn't blocking anything. I know Avast was a pain when I tried this, so I had to add an exception.