[TC] Gaming Forums
Your car license experience - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Your car license experience (/showthread.php?tid=25849)

Pages: 1 2

Your car license experience - Borja - 2017-03-26 22:48

Hello cruisers!

Im close to be 18, and signed up to carschool for get B license (incase that it works in different way in other countries, the car license).

I have been going to it for 1 week for theoretical and seems a bit hard.

Im just making this thread for hearing your experiences with it, how long does it takes for you, any kind of tips...

Thanks,
Boo Heart

RE: Your car license experience - Carl - 2017-03-26 22:58

I wasn't in a rush to complete mine, so it took me about 6 months lol. The hardest part of my test was other traffic, they can mess your test up very easily.

RE: Your car license experience - Roba - 2017-03-26 23:43

Well my first ever practical driving test of 50 minutes orso went clean, made no mistakes. You just need to relax a bit behind the wheel, concentrate on where you're going and follow the traffic signs rather than stress everything that can go wrong - because then something will go wrong.

Also looking at hot girls walking by can be considered dangerous, my personal experience is when the teacher notified me about the girl while I was doing a bus driving test, I nearly rear-ended a car that suddenly came to a stop.

And mostly talking to the teacher or anyone in the car will affect your concentration, so avoid that. I keep doing silly mistakes and I miss the road signs I.e. speedlimit if I'm telling a story to someone with me in a car.

RE: Your car license experience - Borja - 2017-03-27 05:45

@Nismo well, I neither have any rush on it, just wan to try to have it for summer. And yeah, heard that you can fail your exam due other traffic mistakes..

@Roba Will take in count your advice, to relax and enjoy. Also, how the hell the teacher do those things? Tongue
And yes, will try to look for every signal, and dont follow everyone, cause maybe everyone it's doing a mistake.

RE: Your car license experience - Roba - 2017-03-27 07:56

(2017-03-27 05:45)Borja Wrote:  @Roba Will take in count your advice, to relax and enjoy. Also, how the hell the teacher do those things? Tongue
And yes, will try to look for every signal, and dont follow everyone, cause maybe everyone it's doing a mistake.

Yeah, we were both very relaxed Biggrin

Sounds good Thumbup1 best of luck to your tests!

RE: Your car license experience - Audiojack - 2017-03-27 11:46

During the driving exam, remember to visibly turn your head and eyes everywhere when you're looking at the mirrors and such, so that the examiner can see that you're doing it. Otherwise you might look like you're not paying enough attention if you're just checking everything from the corners of your eyes.

RE: Your car license experience - Banana4Life - 2017-03-27 13:11

I'm soon taking mine, thats what I'm thinking about audiojack, seems you have to look everywhere before doing anything in all mirrors and all directions, not doing so will end up in fail

RE: Your car license experience - Audiojack - 2017-03-27 13:36

(2017-03-27 13:11)Banana4Life Wrote:  I'm soon taking mine, thats what I'm thinking about audiojack, seems you have to look everywhere before doing anything in all mirrors and all directions, not doing so will end up in fail

Indeed, it's better to swivel around like a bobblehead so the examiner certainly knows W00t

RE: Your car license experience - Morreboy - 2017-03-27 15:12

Borja, I actully used lfs for practice the road rules, and then when I was driving with my teacher i asked if we could have radio on with a low volume so we could talk, it was very relaxing to listen to music meanwhile driving.

RE: Your car license experience - Borja - 2017-03-27 20:52

@AJ Will take your advice for sure, just to show him that im looking arround...

@Banana4Life Best of luck. Im waiting your results!

@Morreboy Yeah, low music can be relaxing, and will try to use LFS as a way of improve the driving skills

RE: Your car license experience - Paulius - 2017-03-27 21:41

Well im car driver for half a year already lol, so i can give you a few tips.

Dont get mad on pedestrians, you only understand how much ped sucks when you drive by yourself( especially in final exam, people come from nowhere, and if you dont let someone go, ur failed).
Dont get scared of traffic or other drivers, learn rules and follow them, no matter if someone horns because you are doing speed limit or someone cut you of, they might be lucky once or twice and get away with it, but third time police will catch them..
Also learn to predict what other people might do, thats very important thing to avoid accidents and other nasty shit.
Also dont bitch when driving, use your balls and dont get lost in every scary situations ( because there will be many)
Feel the car, you need to feel every corner of the car, and how even a little steering wheel turn can change car behaviuor.
Look at road signs, im still not used to it and already got ticket for speeding xD

It might be hard first hours of driving, but its very easy to get used to it, ecpecially if you play a lot of driving/racing games..

Another tip that I suggest to follow ( I did it too), play ETS2, install PM map, turn off gps and try to navigate yourself only using signs. Also you can try to play Online to understand how traffic with different driving style works. I'd say that ETS helped me most from games( because in lfs you race more than drive propery), just dont use any additional help that you wont get in RL car..

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask..

RE: Your car license experience - Audiojack - 2017-03-27 22:59

If you really want to use a video game to practice driving in a somewhat realistic city environment, get City Car Driving (it's on Steam nowadays) and play that. It's legitimately a pretty funny game/sim too, but can also teach you basic stuff.

RE: Your car license experience - Jacob - 2017-03-28 08:28

Do not ever practise in VR for normal driving in trafic. Ask your kin to let you drive somewhere outside of big towns (vilages, etc). The worst thing you can do is learn something in a game and then use it in real tracic..

RE: Your car license experience - Audiojack - 2017-03-28 10:09

(2017-03-28 08:28)Jacob Wrote:  Do not ever practise in VR for normal driving in trafic. Ask your kin to let you drive somewhere outside of big towns (vilages, etc). The worst thing you can do is learn something in a game and then use it in real tracic..

I disagree, unless you can't separate real world from the game in your mind. Atleast here in Finland we do practice night driving in a video game simulator, it's part of the drivers's ed programs.

RE: Your car license experience - Ras - 2017-03-28 10:26

My many years of playing simulators with G25's and G27's resulted in me being pretty good in my driving lessons from day one. It definitely helps. Especially if you have a wheel with clutch and h-shifter as you get your brain used to the gearshifting. I never stalled in my lessons and test despite barely ever driving a car before.

RE: Your car license experience - Jacob - 2017-03-28 12:59

Yes it can help you get used with a wheel but game cannot learn you real life sitauations. I prefer learning with real car somwhere safe even u dont own license yet. In a game you slide, u use handbrake and drift to get back...irl you would pay for repair cuz that tree didnt move.. road laws are good to learn on pc, not driving.. my opinion.

RE: Your car license experience - Audiojack - 2017-03-28 15:12

RE: Your car license experience - Borja - 2017-03-28 20:58

@Paulius Thanks for each advice you gave. Also, it's true that I have to predic others action, and look ahead of everyone for understand the posible ways of everyone for be ready to be cut'ed and other things. Thanks for your words!

@AJ I will try it, but I heard that the FFB feels a bit hard and un-realistic, but will give it a go for sure!

@Jacob Well, I will go with my parent to my summerhouse, there we have some ramps and we can practice parking. Sadly, can go to any place, cause the fine it's very big if police catch us...

@Ras Yeah, had a G25 and actually have G27. Hope that those years cruising arround [TC] and playing on different games helps me as you mentioned Smile

RE: Your car license experience - Roba - 2017-03-29 01:54

(2017-03-28 12:59)Jacob Wrote:  Yes it can help you get used with a wheel but game cannot learn you real life sitauations. I prefer learning with real car somwhere safe even u dont own license yet. In a game you slide, u use handbrake and drift to get back...irl you would pay for repair cuz that tree didnt move.. road laws are good to learn on pc, not driving.. my opinion.

The road laws are exactly what you can learn from the game.. Nobody seriously thinks that they can learn to control a real car by playing a game with a G27.. Atleast I hope so

RE: Your car license experience - Frozen - 2017-03-29 06:02

I passed both theoretical and practical exam on the first attempt (took me 2-3 months in total). Take your time and only do the final exam if you are self secured that you have chances to pass. What I see quite often is that people are in a big rush to get their license and forget to learn 50% of it. Then they have to re-do the exam three times before they pass.

The theoretical seems quite hard, but an easy way to study it is by reading each chapter and making a short exam (online) about that chapter. If you fail, re read it until you pass. If you pass with errors, check what you did wrong and move on. Once you have done for example 4 chapters in a row, try to pass them all in once without issues. Smile

Good luck!