[TC] Gaming Forums
[OUTDATED] Skin Approval - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: [TC] CityDriving (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Server Administration Tasks (/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Forum: Skin Approvals (/forumdisplay.php?fid=142)
+----- Forum: Skin Approvals - Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=143)
+----- Thread: [OUTDATED] Skin Approval (/showthread.php?tid=29)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Skin Approval - Elmo - 2012-10-03 15:41

That's fine, Lancer

RE: Skin Approval - Blade3562 - 2012-12-01 00:23

Some of these skins are awesome! Question though, why did PeePees skin not work? It's based off of the one in GTA ad it's easy enough to tell it's a police car.

RE: Skin Approval - Elmo - 2012-12-01 01:41

You mean this one? http://forum.city-driving.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=29&pid=2129#pid2129

It takes more than saying "Police" and a few small lights to make a high-visibility police livery. A dark blue car with the US flag on it could be anything.

We have very clear cop skin rules (linked in the first post) that clearly define what 'high visibility' means. Police cars need to be identifiable at a glance, from a reasonable distance to an international audience.

RE: Skin Approval - Blade3562 - 2012-12-01 04:05

(2012-12-01 01:41)Elmo Wrote:  You mean this one? http://forum.city-driving.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=29&pid=2129#pid2129

It takes more than saying "Police" and a few small lights to make a high-visibility police livery. A dark blue car with the US flag on it could be anything.

We have very clear cop skin rules (linked in the first post) that clearly define what 'high visibility' means. Police cars need to be identifiable at a glance, from a reasonable distance to an international audience.

Our local force recently got new gray cruisers that say police and are harder to identify than this. Plus if someone is on the server they will see that he is in a police skin after a couple minutes. And actually PA law states cruisers don't even have to say police and the cars are painted stock Vic gold red or blue. And in my state of Ohio it only has to say Police visibly on it(technically two places minimum but visible from all angles). So to me this skin passes with playing colors, much more than some of those square pattern cars(I think ambulance when I see that).

RE: Skin Approval - Elmo - 2012-12-01 10:45

(2012-12-01 04:05)Blade3562 Wrote:  Plus if someone is on the server they will see that he is in a police skin after a couple minutes.
But the point of a high visibility livery is that they will recognise it in a couple of seconds, even when travelling at speed.

(2012-12-01 04:05)Blade3562 Wrote:  And actually PA law states cruisers don't even have to say police and the cars are painted stock Vic gold red or blue. And in my state of Ohio it only has to say Police visibly on it(technically two places minimum but visible from all angles).
And they're usually known as "low profile" or "unmarked" cars. Most countries only permit them for specific roles, not for general policing.

No offence, but the USA has some of the worst liveries for visibility in the world (although occasionally that's intentional). I guess that's why they often use an excessive amount of flashing lights these days to compensate.
There's also no consistency, as every local department has its own designs, which makes it very difficult for a visitor (especially from another country) to recognise - although thankfully many do go for the traditional black/white, blue/white panels and stripes.

Quote:much more than some of those square pattern cars(I think ambulance when I see that).
The 'square pattern' (Sillitoe) has been used by police in since the 1930s and internationally (including the USA) since the 1960-70s.
The modern yellow/blue "battenburg" design was a result of UK research by police in the 1990s, which was looking for the most visible and recognisable livery possible. Blue was chosen both for it's visibility to the colour-blind and also for it's strong association with the police.
Battenburg was adopted by Fire & Ambulance services some time later. The colour used for the specific service generally relates to the traditional colour of said service - blue for police, red for fire, green for ambulance.
Battenburg has also been adopted in some form by several other countries worldwide.

Anyway, our regulations are what they are for a couple of reasons.

1. Visibility. As LFS doesn't have proper flashing lights the only thing we can reliably use to quickly identify a police car is the livery.

2. International recognition. People from around the world play on our servers. Our skin rules cater for traditional police livery styles that are commonly used and/or recognised internationally, provided they conform to the visibility requirement.
It may surprise you (although it really shouldn't) that the vast majority* of our users are not from the US.
Therefore it is not in any way a priority to cater for the thousands of different, often obscure, liveries used by local US police forces.

*~95%, based on the number of connections over the last couple of months

RE: Skin Approval - nonder - 2012-12-27 13:21

Hello. Can you please check my skin ? It took some time to create It and I really like it because it is same as our national police skin (Slovakia). I will be really glad if I can use this one. I use this patern for five months (330 chases) and nobody (I had many chases with [TC] too) has not problem with it till now (hello, GLOW). Can you please approve it ?

Original:

[Image: IMG_0868x.jpg]
[Image: 903904_policajna-skoda-fabia-rs.jpg]

Skin:

[Image: int746hfq9ia8ig1gti2.jpg]

RE: Skin Approval - Robin - 2013-01-06 02:01

Hello, is my MB skin allowed? Smile

http://i.imgur.com/spGYg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9rvXj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IcUzM.jpg

RE: Skin Approval - Mr. NB - 2013-01-06 13:56

(2012-12-27 13:21)nonder Wrote:  Can you please check my skin ?

Looks fine to me, Nonder.

(2013-01-06 02:01)Robin Wrote:  Hello, is my MB skin allowed? Smile

Should be fine.

Rear could aswell be more visible though, since it is quite plain, apart from the small "POLIZEI" writing.

RE: Skin Approval - Grinch - 2013-02-28 20:06

Hello Guys, after Stunna said that this Skin wouldnt look like a Police Skin
I wanted to ask here. Its actually a Police Paintjob by the Australian Police

Skin Preview

RE: Skin Approval - Pete - 2013-02-28 22:29

Looks fine to me, the Police text could be a little clearer mind.

RE: Skin Approval - Mr. NB - 2013-02-28 23:16

It's that large badge on the side, that makes it look kinda unusual. Apart from that, it looks like a proper police skin.

RE: Skin Approval - KaraK - 2013-02-28 23:23

Have to say it looks really good.
Did you make that yourself?

RE: Skin Approval - Grinch - 2013-03-01 15:30

Yes Karak i made it myself took about 4 Hrs...

@Lampshade which Police Text should be more clearer?

RE: Skin Approval - Josh - 2013-03-03 21:00

I think all POLICE text needs to be clearer, especially sides and front.

After having seen it in-game, it is much harder to see you are a COP than in your preview. *Personally* the black and white chequers and colour scheme make it look like a racing skin.

We should hear from Elmo soon who should give an overall verdict.

RE: Skin Approval - Elmo - 2013-03-04 11:37

It's a bit of a tricky one TBH, for a number of reasons

Skin Rules 4.4.2 Wrote:Colours such as Yellow, Orange, Pink, Purple and Red are not recommended as base colours as they have reduced contrast and can easily be mistaken for civilian/recovery vehicles.

In this case, the red base colour is a problem for 2 reasons:
1. It reduces the contrast of several identifying markers
2. The red colour itself - especially in combination with yellow - gives the impression of a Fire/Rescue vehicle more than Police. In the real world, this wouldn't necessarily be too much of an issue, but it is here where Police and rescue vehicles have very different traffic priority.

Skin Rules 4.4.2 Wrote:The word POLICE must be clearly visible on the front, back and sides of the vehicle in a clear font, in colours contrasting with the background.

Frankly, this is a problem on all sides, including the rear. The white stroke around the lettering helps it a little in the previews, but once on the server it's going to be much less clear, especially in 512px. It's also going to be made worse by the tendency of jpeg compression to bleed edges adjacent to red colours.

Another thing to mention is that the chequer pattern on the sides looks to be a very dark blue, almost black. This could easily be confused with the black and white chequered flag pattern, which is very common in racing liveries.

RE: Skin Approval - Grinch - 2013-03-04 20:17

Ok so this means i cannot use this Skin anymore? Ok then i have to make another one...thanks for the Reply

RE: Skin Approval - Yukine - 2013-03-13 01:02

Hi, I have the right to use "Gendarmerie" instead of "Police"?

RE: Skin Approval - Rifo - 2013-03-13 04:34

(2013-03-13 01:02)Bruno_G Wrote:  Hi, I have the right to use "Gendarmerie" instead of "Police"?

As per Cop Skin Rules:

Quote:4.4.3 "POLICE"
The word POLICE (or POLIZEI, POLITIE, POLITIA or similar) must be clearly visible on the front, back and sides of the vehicle in a clear font, in colours contrasting with the background.

RE: Skin Approval - Yukine - 2013-03-13 18:45

My skin:
(nota: the base is white, light of lfsviewer make it gray)

RE: Skin Approval - Mr. NB - 2013-03-13 19:32

(2013-03-13 18:45)Bruno_G Wrote:  My skin:
(nota: the base is white, light of lfsviewer make it gray)

Seems good, Bruno.