[TC] Gaming Forums
PC running out of memory - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Technology Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=82)
+---- Forum: Tech Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+---- Thread: PC running out of memory (/showthread.php?tid=30526)

Pages: 1 2

PC running out of memory - Ras - 2019-01-05 21:02

Lately, my PC has complained about running low on memory after being on and in use for a number of hours.

Usually what happens is, i normally have Twitch running on my second monitor while playing a game or doing whatever on the other screen. When the memory thing happens the Twitch stream goes rip and after a few seconds it pops up with "chrome stopped working" or similar and sometimes it kills LFS too. Even had the graphics driver crash a few times so my screen went black for a brief moment.

If i try to open Chrome again it just freezes quickly and runs out of memory immediately, so i ultimately have to restart the PC when this issue occurs to reset the memory. I tried running Twitch on other browsers and only use a tab in Chrome for normal browsing, but it still happens. Kills the Twitch stream in the other browser and everything goes rip as usual.

I've kept an eye on the event log and task manager but don't really see anything out of the ordinary.

Any ideas what i can do would be appreciated. I know Chrome can be heavy on the PC, but i'm not sure it's entirely it's fault. It's not like i have more than a few tabs open at most.

RE: PC running out of memory - Kyle - 2019-01-05 21:19

It sounds like an application could be causing a memory leak (e.g. memory being allocated but never free'd)?

Try starting with barely any start-up applications and see if that works?

RE: PC running out of memory - Ras - 2019-01-05 21:25

It would be better if i can locate the problematic application with everything running instead, otherwise it would take ages to find it, if i have to start out with few applications open and wait for hours Tongue

I just need to find a useful way of finding the problem.

RE: PC running out of memory - Adorable - 2019-01-05 22:39

16 GB of ram are more than enough to power LFS + Google chrome and just about anything running in the background really.

Here's a list of things you could try:
Good luck!

RE: PC running out of memory - Chuck - 2019-01-06 06:51

I'm a bit confused, did you take a simple look at Windows' Task Manager? It should quite easy to find the process causing it.

RE: PC running out of memory - Ras - 2019-01-06 10:06

Yes as I wrote, nothing out of the ordinary to see. Memory usage was at about 30% last time it happened.

Thanks, Ad. System page file is automatic. I will try the other two as well.

RE: PC running out of memory - Pipa - 2019-01-06 14:56

Could be that a program "reserves" more ram than it actually needs. Had something similar a while back.

Check the 2nd answer in this thread:
https://superuser.com/questions/1065853/windows-10-low-memory-warnings-when-i-have-plenty-of-available-memory

RE: PC running out of memory - Audiojack - 2019-01-06 15:06

Run mdsched.exe (open the Windows start menu or search function and type in "mdsched" and it should give you "Windows Memory Diagnostic")

RE: PC running out of memory - S L A V R - 2019-01-06 23:17

Of course this is not my opinion only, but everyone who broadcasts from Twitch needs another device to broadcast in an excellent way Live streaming requires a good screen card and also random access memory . . . Of course solutions proposed by people are temporary solutions .

Live broadcasts consume the power of the entire device

RE: PC running out of memory - Ras - 2019-01-07 08:54

Watching streams, not broadcasting.

RE: PC running out of memory - S L A V R - 2019-01-07 10:23

Try to visualize things that appear in the black screen and look for it will solve the problem

https://www.rabb.it/ This site lets you view, browse and browse movies and live streams you want to see and browse, a temporary solution for you . Also there is an application for iPhone if you want

RE: PC running out of memory - TAZxx - 2019-01-07 18:20

Have you looked at something like Memtest for example? My experience with memtest has alwasys been pretty good, it methodically checks all of your RAM and will give you a full result.

ALSO, I would assume you don't leave your PC on all the the time and overnight etc... If you do, stop that. Although your RAM usage may be fine, but over time it's unable to allocate over. Only fix is to turn it off, and let the motherboard and RAM purge by leaving it off, so your RAM starts completely clean.

RE: PC running out of memory - Ras - 2019-01-07 18:22

Yeah it's definitely off overnight until afternoon when I get home.

I'll check it out, thanks!

RE: PC running out of memory - Joe - 2019-01-08 08:56

Always nice to discuss about memory management in windows.

I know a solution, but it doesnt solve the problem basically, 'cuz its unsolvable:
Set more virtual memory.

I'm playing w/ 12GB memory and another 12 GB virtual. Windows dont use virtual memory, but it want to addressed.
The windows (with apps) uses 10 GB maximum and another 6GB for shared to Videomemory.
If it reaches 6GB w/o Virtual memory, it immediatelly crashes with "out of memory" error message.
(Before discussing my Videomemory, i'm using a GTX1070Ti w/ 8GB dedicated vram)

RE: PC running out of memory - Brendon - 2019-01-08 17:08

Hi. I had a lot of memory_management problems with my PC I'm playing on right now, because the motherboard only supports DDR2 memory. So I have 4GB installed rn, and I was getting bsod (blue screen of death) all the time in 10 minute periods.

I was running memcheck, ram analyse everything said my RAM was Ok. I took my RAM out of the mainboard, cleaned, changed slots, I tried everything, nothing worked.

I fixed the problem for some days, I didn't run Discord in the background I always stopped it in task manager. I was very happy, it seemed that the problem is gone, until I began to listen so music through Google chrome after those some days and it came again but in longer (like 30 minutes) periods.

So the actual problem was not Discord but Google Chrome, which we know, eats RAM for breakfast. I changed to Mozilla 3 weeks ago and it didnt happen once. Now I can also use Discord, the problem is completely gone. I don't know. I would also know what's causing it in your case, and how to permanently fix it. Maybe its the DDR2 motherboard in my case with the DDR5 550Ti (9600gt DDR3 when problem occured) paired, I don't really know.

I think you should check some apps, closing them in task manager, and check if the problem still occurs. Good luck W00t

RE: PC running out of memory - S L A V R - 2019-01-09 01:42

I hope you solve this problem
........ Be sure to save information before you start.......
How to fix Google Chrome black screen issue in Windows 10 [

]

RE: PC running out of memory - Bez - 2019-01-09 01:47

I used to have a memory leak problem with my motherboards KillerNetwork drivers. When I would download large files or use a lot of bandwidth it'd fill up the ram. Make sure you don't have that problem Ras.

@Swift. 4GB of Ram nowadays is obsolete. My system runs at 3.5GB idle. Not sure if thats a high idle amount or not but heck. DDR5 memory is around the corner, maybe time for an upgrade pal Glare

RE: PC running out of memory - Joe - 2019-01-09 07:59

(2019-01-08 17:08)Swift Wrote:  ... I had a lot of memory_management problems with my PC I'm playing on right now, because the motherboard only supports DDR2 memory.

[OFF]
Next time if u come home, visit me.
i'll give u a MB w/ 8GB DDR2 and a CPU. (For free ofc)
[/OFF]

RE: PC running out of memory - Ras - 2019-01-09 19:29

It started going wrong again while playing LFS and watching a stream. I closed LFS and it immediately went back to normal. Maybe LFS is actually the problem?

See before and after task manager images..

[Image: ergrgerge.png]

[Image: jwjjwwj.png]

RE: PC running out of memory - Joe - 2019-01-10 07:11

There's a mayor issue with your LFS.
Never seen before: 46GB Allocated? My god.