[TC] Gaming Forums
Requesting Gaming Computer Advice - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Help Requests & Technical Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Thread: Requesting Gaming Computer Advice (/showthread.php?tid=3110)

Requesting Gaming Computer Advice - FR4NOx - 2012-05-07 22:13

Hey everyone,

I've been wanting to fix my old desktop since I fried the motherboard (never OC ECS motherboards....) but since it's a motherboard repair, I'm wondering if I should just buy an aged gaming computer off of craigslist.

Also, I wanted better performance than my old computer provided I couldn't record LFS without a massive frameloss, and my current laptop can't even run AA in LFS without starting up in a black screen. I don't need the latest and greatest hardware, since I run older/less demanding games like SimCity 4, Sims 3, LFS and Minecraft.
Whatever I do, this computer will strictly be a gaming computer, my laptop is powerful enough to run everything else. Smile

So, I came up with a few options and I found a few local listings.

Option #1 (Click to View)
Option #2 (Click to View)
Option #3 (Click to View)
Option #4 (Click to View)

I also found some random parts that could be of use that I may have mentioned earlier:

-C2D 2.13GHz - $30
-C2Q 2.4GHz - $100
-GTX 295 - $150
- 2 GTX 480s - $350
- 9800GT 1GB "Eco" - around $40 i think

As I previously mentioned, I wanted to use this system purely for playing games and recording them. I'm on a tight budget, but I can sell/save for whatever is worth it.

So, can you help me out?

Thanks in advance

-Kenwood

RE: Requesting Gaming Computer Advice - Zipppy - 2012-05-07 23:54

I'd say if you want gaming, IMO, try going for the fastest CPU, and get a new mobo that supports SLI, (use the two GTX480s). The 600W PSU should run those nicely at stock speed. Quad cores are getting popular now.

I can't really decide on what would be the best choice for you.

I'm in progress of upgrading my PC, buying parts 1 by 1, next on the list is the RAM and motherboard for me.

RE: Requesting Gaming Computer Advice - FR4NOx - 2012-05-08 02:23

Well, I don't mean I need a "uber future proofed gaming murderer" like sandy bridge-e/Ivy lol.

The catch with my Tr2 PSU is that it doesn't support SLI/Crossfire. Soooo yeah. I want to stay on the cheaper side too.

I was planning on upgrading my system piece-by-piece in the past but I honestly need a total PC upgrade lol. Pentium's not powerful enough! Smile

For the sake of money, I'll probably go with the GTX 295 if I upgrade my machine, I don't mind having older hardware and for $150 it seems like a really good deal. (GTX 295 is a dual processor GPU, was probably over $500 new a few years ago)

I'm not going to go with Option #4 because it's pretty outdated (DDR2? AM2+? dafuq?) and is way overpriced, even if I negotiated the price down a LOT.

No matter what, I'm probably going to get the 295 because I really think it's worth the money.

Any other suggestions?

By the way, Zipppy, you have a tri-core right? How well does it perform?

I know my i5-2430m is all the power I need, since hyperthreading handles fraps pretty well.

RE: Requesting Gaming Computer Advice - Zipppy - 2012-05-08 21:27

Mine works okay, but it's most likely being bottlenecked a bit by my mobo, and it's quite hard to overclock, probably due to my low-end mobo as well. Strange enough, it struggles badly in Fraps now, and it's strangely running hotter than usual over the past week. I have an AMD Athlon II X3 445.

RE: Requesting Gaming Computer Advice - FR4NOx - 2012-05-10 03:20

(2012-05-08 21:27)Zipppy Wrote:  Strange enough, it struggles badly in Fraps now, and it's strangely running hotter than usual over the past week.

That's probably because of your issue in your thread. Wink

RE: Requesting Gaming Computer Advice - Zipppy - 2012-05-10 07:15

Yes, most likely.

RE: Requesting Gaming Computer Advice - FR4NOx - 2012-05-11 18:21

OK, so I figured if I sold my laptop I would be able to get a better computer, and simplify it by having all of my files on one computer, and i can take the power with me. Smile

I'm looking at these two Sager laptops, one's a 11.6" and one's a 15.6". The major difference between the two is the graphics card, and mobility.

http://sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP6110

http://sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP6165

Or I could upgrade to this one, with a better graphics card and I believe the ability to ugrade the GPU at a later time:
http://sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP9130

All of these are going to have the base 3rd gen i7.

I'd like to keep it around $1000, cheaper is better. I can pay more, but I just want to get what's reccomended.

I don't have time post much, I'll add more later.