[TC] Gaming Forums
G-sync with a non compatible Freesync monitor - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Technology Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=82)
+---- Forum: Tech Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+---- Thread: G-sync with a non compatible Freesync monitor (/showthread.php?tid=33722)

G-sync with a non compatible Freesync monitor - Marty_Deslions - 2021-07-18 00:10

So I got myself a new pc with a nice Nvidea GPU. Nvidea nowadays has a gsync feature. I also got myself a new monitor, one that appears to have Freesync. After some research I found that they are both doing a thing with variable refresh rate (VRR).

However, I have some questions about it.

What is the range of freesync being effective? My monitor is a 75hz, but when I play "light" games like LFS the fps is above that, does this mean the VRR wont work?

Should i just leave freesync and gsync turned off and keep vsync on? And should i turn vsync on in the nvidea control panel or just within games options?

I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences with this.

RE: G-sync with a non compatible Freesync monitor - Joe - 2021-07-18 06:36

GSync in your case is effective from ~40 to 75 fps. If you have 75+ min(1%) fps you shouldnt turn on at all, because you wont see any difference.
VSync shouldnt turned on ever if you have FSync monitor. Below 40 fps your screen cant handle it and will start flashing as an unsupported GSync screen but with VSync it will be even worse - but no tearing.

- G / FreeSync works with DP only, HDMi doesnt supported with 75fps screens.
(LG 24MP59G owner)

RE: G-sync with a non compatible Freesync monitor - Marty_Deslions - 2021-07-19 09:52

If I don't use a vsync, and the fps goes above the framerate, gsync wont work, right? So above 75 fps tearing can occur? Should I use a frame limiter / cap my frames to keep it within the gsync range? At what fps should I set it to?

What if I set the vsync option in the nvidia control panel to "fast"?

RE: G-sync with a non compatible Freesync monitor - Bez - 2021-07-19 23:42

G-sync is V-sync without the millisecond delays or stuttering...

If you enable G-sync your LFS should limit automatically to your monitors highest refresh rate. If you are running windowed borderless mode you need to enable:

[Image: 3OFOwVu.png]

[Image: 5WsykPH.png]