[TC] Gaming Forums
New Kyoto layout for current roundabout - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Server & InSim Suggestions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+---- Thread: New Kyoto layout for current roundabout (/showthread.php?tid=35418)

New Kyoto layout for current roundabout - Marty_Deslions - 2022-11-20 12:40

The current layout at Kyoto has a small roundabout in it. It connects traffic coming from and to the spawn/SOS station, the autobahn south and north, and the infield (or whatever it's called).

[Image: kyoto-tc-nov2022.png]

However, I think the current design is abit cramped and abit too complicated, and it could be improved and simplified. Not only does the current roundabout take the traffic flow of the autobahn away (you'll have to slow down to at least 60 kmh, even if you take the bridge), it is also abit too tight for comfortable driving with bigger vehicles like busses or trucks.

I give you 3 concepts to improve this intersection.

Concept 1: "USA Style" intersections

[Image: kyoto-usa-alt-1.png]

[Image: kyoto-usa-alt-2.png]

[Image: kyoto-usa-alt-3.png]

I removed the roundabout as a whole, leaving nice open roads in return. There are two intersections with trafficlight. The speedlimit on the autobahn parts around these two intersections should be 100 kmh, as can be seen on the signs. I like the idea of using the lines on the road that are fixed on the map.

The trafficlight cycles should have two phases.
Phase one: Traffic on the autobahn has green light, the two side roads (from main spawn and from infield) have red light.
Phase two: the autobahn has red light, the two side roads have green light.
I'm suggesting phase one will be on longer than phase two. Maybe lets say 15 or 20 seconds for phase one, and 10 seconds for phase two.

Behind the yellow wall there is room for parking or some building or whatever.

"Man, this design is dangerous, and somepeople will just fly through both intersections, creating big crashes."

Well, if that happens, that player obviously doesn't care too much about the traffic rules (speed and maybe redlight), and if he then causes a crash, he should apologize. If he doesn't, maybe report. It's basicly the same with any other traffic intersection on TC.

Side note: To enforce the speedlimit of 100 kmh around these intersections, they could be a permanent speedtrap, if that can be build in the insim.

An overview:
[Image: kyoto-usa-alt-4.png]

Concept 2: Bigger roundabout

[Image: kyoto-bigger-RB-alt-1.png]

[Image: kyoto-bigger-RB-alt-2.png]

[Image: kyoto-bigger-RB-alt-3.png]

[Image: kyoto-bigger-RB-alt-4.png]

With this concept, I kept the idea of a roundabout, only I made it bigger. Not only that, but there is also more room to navigate around it. First I created 2 lanes on the roundabout itself, which looked fine in freecam mode, but driving there felt abit cramped, so I got rid it of those lines. Now it's just a 1 lane wide roundabout. The whole intersection is now simpler than the current roundabout situation on TC. I've kept the bridge as it is. Next to the busstop there was a pitstop/fuel station on the grass. I removed that, and I've returned it under the bridge part. At the end of the bridge I placed down some lines and arrows, that direct traffic onto the autobahn, instead of the buslane/emergency lane.

An overview:
[Image: kyoto-bigger-RB-alt-5.png]

Concept 3: Overpass with off and on ramps

The idea of this one is to create an overpass, just like the other overpass on the AB:
[Image: overpass1.png]

An advantage of this is that the speedlimit AB can be 160 kmh all around. A disadvantage may be the large number of objects. Not only that, but the on and off ramps also may be abit tight, just like the other overpass situation. This is due to a lane being split into a right autobahn lane going straight, and the off/on ramp. A solution for this would be to sacrifice the whole right/outer lane to be the off/on ramp, leaving only the left/middle lane for traffic going straight on the AB.
Abit like this:
[Image: overpass2.png]

RE: New Kyoto layout for current roundabout - Ras - 2022-11-20 12:54

Concept 1 would have been cool if there was a different mindset amongst the community. Sadly everyone will just never slow down for the intersection and blow through at 280kph causing heavy crashes all day long, meaning a huge increase in admin work load.

I like Concept 2 with the bigger roundabout option. It'd work better for the big vehicles especially.

RE: New Kyoto layout for current roundabout - Ephwurd - 2022-11-20 13:22

The USA style will cause lots of crashes as like Ras said. People will fly over that Overpass. I'm voting for Big Roundabout style, that will reduce the mess caused by big vehicles.

RE: New Kyoto layout for current roundabout - Marty_Deslions - 2022-11-20 14:20

The USA style one can also be used for a spontaneous dragrace. Multiple lanes + Traffic lights Smile

Also,
in order to prevent people from going way too fast over these "usa" intersections, there could be something implented in the insim when someone goes above a certain speed, he/she will automaticly be spectated for speeding. For instance 150 kmh or faster = spectated.

RE: New Kyoto layout for current roundabout - GT4tube - 2022-11-20 15:07

CONCEPT 2 OK

RE: New Kyoto layout for current roundabout - 7mar - 2022-11-20 16:47

No, leave as it is, maybe lower the bridge and make another route for buses.
:monkey:

RE: New Kyoto layout for current roundabout - megatronus8010 - 2022-11-20 16:53

I like first one the best because it feels more realistic. To prevent the speeding issue you could reduce the insim speedlimit to 40kmh for a short section and maybe 1 speed bump which should be enough to stop people from blowing past these at 300kph.

At the very least layout 2 would be nice for a change.

RE: New Kyoto layout for current roundabout - Speed Demon - 2022-11-20 18:07

The second concept would be great. The current layout is also damaged when the new truck mod passes under the bridge. Bridges should either be absent or be higher.

RE: New Kyoto layout for current roundabout - Sebas - 2022-11-20 18:44

There is no way that USA / Overpass won't create issues. People will simply drive the oval mindlessly, unfortunately.

I chose the 2nd option, "bigger roundabout". I like the current setup, but I agree that it could probably have a better flow if the circle was bigger. It would also help with heavy vehicles navigating this part of the map (trucks, busses).

We need to keep some sort of restriction on the oval, it's "necessary".

RE: New Kyoto layout for current roundabout - Ghutra - 2022-11-20 21:03

+1 to Concept 2
I prefer the roundabout layout style but the one in use currently is quite small

Sadly I like the USA one but you wouldn't be able to go left from Arena/Sz into the AB with people going full speed through it. If there was a way for the InSim to spawn a huge wall as soon as the red lights go on then maybe >:] ...

An idea I have for Concept 3 is to make an Overpass on the middle and have the off-ramps to the side leading to the roundabout or an intersection, but that might take up quite a lot of objects to make it smooth or as less bumpy as possible.

For reference: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/519385854234069112/6927986F72F72FA760EA376B29C2DAC2D9EFE03D/
(obviously not as huge and complex as that one lol)

RE: New Kyoto layout for current roundabout - P V L - 2022-11-20 21:31

To keep it safe and fast just use the oval only in one direction. Gives a lot room aside for up and down , same for in and out of oval.

RE: New Kyoto layout for current roundabout - Marty_Deslions - 2022-11-20 23:51

I noticed that in the "bigger roundabout" concept I made a mistake. Namely that traffic approaching from AB North (like the white car in the pictures) come with 2 lanes, but the roundabout is only 1 lane.

Possible solutions:

[Image: kyoto-bigger-RB-alt-5a.png]
Here the left lane has to merge with the right line. So traffic enters the roundabout in 1 lane.

Or what about this:

[Image: kyoto-bigger-RB-alt-5b.png]
Both traffic lanes will continue as 2 lanes throughout the roundabout. A downside of this idea is that it will make the roundabout more complicated. I prefer to keep it simple and clear.

Also, don't judge my awesome MS paint skills Tongue

RE: New Kyoto layout for current roundabout - Ghutra - 2022-11-21 02:11

Another solution: Make a bypass lane, while still forcing vehicles to 1 lane to enter the roundabout. That way you don't get stuck waiting in the RB for traffic if you just want to go right into Arena/SZ and from Arena/SZ to the Autobhan Anti-clockwise. Kinda like it is with the current layout

Sorry if my high skilled Paint lines scare you, its not my intention!
[attachment=1860]
(You might need to move the RB a bit to fit the dividers for the bypass on Arena/SZ to AB anti-clockwise)