[TC] Gaming Forums
New Realistic Speed Limits. - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Server & InSim Suggestions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+---- Thread: New Realistic Speed Limits. (/showthread.php?tid=3546)

Pages: 1 2 3

New Realistic Speed Limits. - Bez - 2012-06-23 12:13

I have been driving around at the current speed limits and it just seems they aren't realistic enough. I'm pretty sure the aim of the server is to be as city like as possible and at the moment I feel the pace of the server at the moment is to fast.

Currently if you see a caution you have to slam your breaks on and hope the person behind you has good reactions / is concentrating.

With realistic speed limits the server will have less crashes. Almost 70% of crashes are due to the speed of the car's in crashes.

By setting the speed limits to realistic speeds we can introduce more ideas that would work. (Currently I'm working on a Insurance idea, fine-tuning how it would work.)

I know most of the speeders will moan because of the -'s you get will be higher. But possibly Chuck could lower the rate for that.

I just want the community to have a great, realistic and safe cruising experience that feels like real life driving. After all, it is City Driving!

Realistic Speeds;
Highway's: 70mph
Main Roads: 60mph
Small side roads: 40mph

Tell me what you think Smile
(Its just an idea so don't burn me over it.)

Thanks
-Bez

RE: New Realistic Speed Limits. - SLiiDE - 2012-06-23 12:15

Its a good idea, and many people would like it but after a while its gunna get boring driving around slowly Laugh

RE: New Realistic Speed Limits. - Bez - 2012-06-23 12:24

(2012-06-23 12:15)SLiiDE Wrote:  Its a good idea, and many people would like it but after a while its gunna get boring driving around slowly Laugh

No one is forced to drive slowly. If you want to earn money, obviously you drive the speed-limits. As many have said before speeding is a luxury.

RE: New Realistic Speed Limits. - Dowpy - 2012-06-23 12:27

I <- like the speedlimits how they are now, but 70mph on Highways? thats to low IMO. Otherwise i dont really know.

RE: New Realistic Speed Limits. - Bez - 2012-06-23 12:40

(2012-06-23 12:27)Dowpie Wrote:  I <- like the speedlimits how they are now, but 70mph on Highways? thats to low IMO. Otherwise i dont really know.

I respect that but;

70mph is the speedlimit on motorways in the UK = 112kph

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_by_country

Look at germany > Single carrage motorway = 100kph

Or

If you class the highways on the tracks as Duel

Duel Carrageway = No-Limit > 130kph recommended.

So at 70mph its in the middle of the speed limits for both Smile

RE: New Realistic Speed Limits. - Mike - 2012-06-23 13:43

Even though the game is meant to mimic a City Driving server, there has to be a limit on what is followed and what is ignored.

I for one go on [TC] CityDriving to have fun. Driving at the speed limits can be quite fun in smaller cars (UF1, XFG etc), but if the speed limits drop; its going to just become boring. Ason for example is just a long track, even at 75 MPH.. Doing it at 40MPH is going to be taking the micky a little and I know im going to lose intrest.

If I want to drive the 30/40/60MPH speed limits, ill go for a real drive. I don't want to be doing that on a game.

-1 from me.

RE: New Realistic Speed Limits. - Bez - 2012-06-23 13:47

(2012-06-23 13:43)Mike Wrote:  Even though the game is meant to mimic a City Driving server, there has to be a limit on what is followed and what is ignored.

I for one go on [TC] CityDriving to have fun. Driving at the speed limits can be quite fun in smaller cars (UF1, XFG etc), but if the speed limits drop; its going to just become boring. Ason for example is just a long track, even at 75 MPH.. Doing it at 40MPH is going to be taking the micky a little and I know im going to lose intrest.

If I want to drive the 30/40/60MPH speed limits, ill go for a real drive. I don't want to be doing that on a game.

-1 from me.

(2012-06-23 12:13)Bez Wrote:  Realistic Speeds;

+ Id rather drive on here realistically that go out burning fuel + Drivers around here are worse than most of the TC drivers Tongue

RE: New Realistic Speed Limits. - Mikee - 2012-06-23 13:49

-1 for me.

Yeah its trying to be realistic but at the same point it's still game. LFS doesn't really get the feeling of those speeds across and makes you think you are doing 10mph. If you get me?

Your point of crashes reducing if the speed limit is lowered, imo I don't think this would have much impact because most of the people are the server just end up speeding round like there is no tomorrow (I'm one Biggrin)

RE: New Realistic Speed Limits. - Bez - 2012-06-23 13:52

(2012-06-23 13:49)Mikee Wrote:  LFS doesn't really get the feeling of those speeds across and makes you think you are doing 10mph. If you get me?

Your point of crashes reducing if the speed limit is lowered, imo I don't think this would have much impact because most of the people are the server just end up speeding round like there is no tomorrow (I'm one Biggrin)

And that's why Tongue Speeding all the time will make you feel like you're doing 10mph because you've got used to the speed your going already.. Its like real driving. If you drive 80mph on the motorway for 2hours then go back to small 30mph roads you feel like you're doing 10mph..

RE: New Realistic Speed Limits. - Mikee - 2012-06-23 13:56

Fair point but with along Mike's point. People come on to relax after a days work or just to play for fun. I rarely see people crusing at the speed limits and if they are driving at the speed limit it will be in a low powered car because they aren't able to abuse the speed limit.

A good idea in theory but I can't see it working.

RE: New Realistic Speed Limits. - Pete - 2012-06-23 13:59

Mikee Wrote:A good idea in theory but I can't see it working.

I'm with Mikee here. -1

RE: New Realistic Speed Limits. - Mike - 2012-06-23 13:59

(2012-06-23 13:47)Bez Wrote:  + Id rather drive on here realistically that go out burning fuel + Drivers around here are worse than most of the TC drivers Tongue

When you really think about it, fuel is nothing. I don't think your British, but £6 for 30 miles of driving (based on my car) or around 30/40 minutes of driving. It's not bad at all to be honest.

Like Mikee said, I don't want to feel like im going at 10MPH. Aston would be the worse one of them all.

Sydney has lower speed limits; but because of the nature of the track, it works well. If other tracks were the same, then fair enough.

If I had to compare Aston with something in Real, id compare it to a Motorway. Its long and flowing. Making it slwoer is just going to make it worse. Same with Weston too.

RE: New Realistic Speed Limits. - James - 2012-06-23 14:05

I havent used slow cars to drive at the limit. Infact, ive been using cars like the FXO, RB4 and XRT to cruise. Why ? Because its more fun for me than a UF1/XRG/XFG. I like being able to put my foot down and enjoy it whenever the mood takes me.

Whether or not the speed limits become reduced, it wont stop me from wanting to earn money and play on [TC]. I honestly dont see why this is such a big issue. It doesnt stop anyone from going out and driving IRL the minute [TC] goes and changes something, hell, it wont stop you from going elsewhere right ? Theres a few other cruise servers out there im sure you can noob and race in the minute something changes. Then again, I feel that [TC] is the most realistic and most active because it seems to pride itself on stuff people see as taking it too seriously like true skill in copping, true skill in driving. Plus, how the administators handle trouble makers in a calm, professional manner. I for one wouldnt go anywhere whether the speed limits go up or down.

Would you ?

Anyways, this could further enhance the realism yet, drive players away who only come here to speed. I dont know, it just seems to me it wouldnt be that much of a big deal if the speed limits were reduced.

RE: New Realistic Speed Limits. - Mike - 2012-06-23 14:10

Updates should generally be done to attract to new people, not to lose the ones already on there.

If Chuck was to change the speed limits tomorrow, would you lose people who already play on [TC] because of it? I don't only mean the "popular" people, but also the other people who come on to drive and leave. Don't go on the [TC] forums etc. Just an average Joe.

On the otherhand, would anyone from any other server be inclinded to try [TC] because they've dropped all their speed limits? Does it sound like a really good thing?

I'm not going to answer that, as I might be biased for obvious reasons; but it's certainly something that must be thought about if everyone wants [TC] to stay as it is.

Why change something that isnt broken?

RE: New Realistic Speed Limits. - Bez - 2012-06-23 14:17

No one said it was broken. I just thought of trying to enhance the realism on the server.

Why would people leave over a 30mph drop on the highway and a 15mph drop on main roads? They wouldn't..

Enhancing the server to become more realistic would bring more people who take cruising seriously. I always cruise int he FZ5 and the FXO and the FZR (when iv'e earnt the money)

I rarely speed unless i get that sudden urge to just floor it..

I really didn't think lowing the speed would be such a big deal..
-------------------------------------------
Just uploading some Videos of me doing the realistic speed limits. Will embed when uploaded Smile

RE: New Realistic Speed Limits. - Brad - 2012-06-23 14:52

I go on the server to drive pretty quickly, and the fun for me is driving to the limit within the bounds of the track/barriers. The reason I don't just go onto a race server to drive quickly is because I like the tricky parts of the layouts, and having to account for other drivers.

If the limits were reduced, that would take the fun out of it for me, at least, as the negative cash values would quickly erase the cash. As for "reducing the amount you lose when you speed", that will make the speed limit a totally arbitrary value. If the losses are reduced, people will still drive at the speed they are now. The only difference will be that now everyone is doing ~300% of the speedlimit, as opposed to ~150%.

Addition: I think any act to lower the speed of cars should be done in a more discreet and indirect way, for example the servicing feature and the useful life of the car. That way it adds realism to the game, but doesn't directly charge people more for "having fun".
An insurance system which could be built around this ethos would be good (if developed correctly), but thinking about it now, it would probably be very complex to create, and to perfect the parameters.

RE: New Realistic Speed Limits. - Chill . - 2012-06-23 14:54

(2012-06-23 12:13)Bez Wrote:  I have been driving around at the current speed limits and it just seems they aren't realistic enough. I'm pretty sure the aim of the server is to be as city like as possible and at the moment I feel the pace of the server at the moment is to fast.

Currently if you see a caution you have to slam your breaks on and hope the person behind you has good reactions / is concentrating.

With realistic speed limits the server will have less crashes. Almost 70% of crashes are due to the speed of the car's in crashes.

By setting the speed limits to realistic speeds we can introduce more ideas that would work. (Currently I'm working on a Insurance idea, fine-tuning how it would work.)

I know most of the speeders will moan because of the -'s you get will be higher. But possibly Chuck could lower the rate for that.

I just want the community to have a great, realistic and safe cruising experience that feels like real life driving. After all, it is City Driving!

Realistic Speeds;

Tell me what you think Smile
(Its just an idea so don't burn me over it.)

Thanks
-Bez
I Think :
Highway's: 110 km/h or 120 km/h
Main Roads: 90 km/h
Small side roads: 70 km/h
+
TC needs Bettter layouts , because it is "City"Driving . When i show TC layouts to my friend , He said: Is It City ?!

RE: New Realistic Speed Limits. - Mikee - 2012-06-23 14:58

They limits are way to slow, Again driving at 40mph would make you think you are standing still.

Better layouts in what way? There nothing much we can do to make it more 'city like'

RE: New Realistic Speed Limits. - Roba - 2012-06-23 14:58

Rather good idea..

No.

Get us a realistic city for realistic speedlimits..

RE: New Realistic Speed Limits. - BP - 2012-06-23 14:59

What Mikee said. LFS doesn't really make high speeds look fast.
e.g. I drive 100mph and it looks like 30mph would look IRL.

I can't even imagine low speeds like 40mph in-game, would be like driving 5mph. xD

-1 from me in that case.