[TC] Gaming Forums
New motherboard - Windows 7 - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Technology Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=82)
+---- Forum: Tech Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+---- Thread: New motherboard - Windows 7 (/showthread.php?tid=3605)

New motherboard - Windows 7 - KaraK - 2012-06-28 14:14

Hey,

Hopefully I'll have enough money soon to upgrade my computer.

I know which motherboard I need, and want, so I don't really need advice on that. However, I know you need to reinstall/repair Windows 7 when you install a new motherboard with a different chipset.
But my problem is that I don't have a Windows 7 disk.
Is there any other way of reinstalling Windows 7, besides buying a new copy?

Thanks,
KaraK

RE: New motherboard - Windows 7 - Johan. - 2012-06-28 14:33

As long as you have your own genuine Windows key, there can't be a problem downloading a copy. Because you already have a purchased key.

RE: New motherboard - Windows 7 - Tom - 2012-07-01 02:52

if your installing a new motherboard, a easy tip that works most of the time is to uninstall the motherboard drivers from device manager then turn off pc and put in new motherboard, when u restart the pc it will then force it self to reinstall the drivers, but coz its a new board it will install the drivers from that one Smile

RE: New motherboard - Windows 7 - Zipppy - 2012-07-01 17:57

I actually just swapped the Motherboard, just like the OP, and it seems like my Windows 7 key doesn't work anymore, it isn't an OEM one.

EDIT: fixed by calling customer service)

RE: New motherboard - Windows 7 - Stephen - 2012-07-02 02:20

Yep, because windows will assign the activation to the motherboard. if you changed anything else it wouldn't have lost the activation ie. video card, CPU etc. Do you have the retail version or oem?

RE: New motherboard - Windows 7 - Elmo - 2012-07-05 15:05

If he doesn't have the disk it'll be probably be OEM or SLP. OEM keys need the OEM install disk, I've heard SLP keys don't care if it's a retail or OEM disk, but I've not confirmed that.

RE: New motherboard - Windows 7 - KaraK - 2012-07-05 15:43

(2012-07-02 02:20)Stephen Wrote:  Do you have the retail version or oem?

I have no idea.
I bought the computer with Windows 7 already installed. Was cheap, and the guy I bought it from built it on his own. So could be both really.

Is there any way I could check that?

RE: New motherboard - Windows 7 - Zipppy - 2012-07-06 04:46

I've used this software to recover my key one time, you could call up Microsoft to give you a new key if you explain your situation.
http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/winproductkey/

RE: New motherboard - Windows 7 - Elmo - 2012-07-07 15:55

(2012-07-05 15:43)KaraK Wrote:  
(2012-07-02 02:20)Stephen Wrote:  Do you have the retail version or oem?

I have no idea.
I bought the computer with Windows 7 already installed. Was cheap, and the guy I bought it from built it on his own. So could be both really.

Is there any way I could check that?

It'll almost certainly be standard OEM then. Only the biggest OEMs (dell, asus, etc) get the SLP ones and standard OEM is usually significantly cheaper than retail.

RE: New motherboard - Windows 7 - KaraK - 2012-07-09 00:28

@Zippy - Thanks, but I already had the key Smile

(2012-07-07 15:55)Elmo Wrote:  It'll almost certainly be standard OEM then. Only the biggest OEMs (dell, asus, etc) get the SLP ones and standard OEM is usually significantly cheaper than retail.

All right. In order to reinstall, I only need a burned Windows 7 disk, and the original key, right?

RE: New motherboard - Windows 7 - Elmo - 2012-07-09 00:54

Correct, you'll need a (probably) OEM disc, 64bit (assuming you'll have at least 4GB RAM). Might be an idea to have a retail disc on standby just in case it isn't an OEM key.
Don't forget to backup everything that's even vaguely important first.