[TC] Gaming Forums
Proposed Changed to Backup System - 2023 - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Server & InSim Suggestions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+---- Thread: Proposed Changed to Backup System - 2023 (/showthread.php?tid=36675)

Proposed Changed to Backup System - 2023 - BP - 2023-08-26 07:28

Hello,

Yesterday I posted a suggestion related to the backup system: https://forum.city-driving.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=36669

It is unlikely that the suggestion I posted yesterday will be implemented in that state.

However, in the thread, Chuck posted an alternative suggestion - detailed below. This thread will discuss Chuck's proposal below. Please note that Chuck has included two separate point-related ideas.

(2023-08-25 07:14)Chuck Wrote:  I could think of a points system:
Idea 1: (Growing points)
Lets say, depending on the suspect, you get backup-points. For example, 1 per second for a slow suspect, 3 for a fast suspect, etc.
And whenever you call backup, the joining cop uses some of the backup points.
So imagine you have collected 100 points and call backup, only a cop worth 100 points or less could join.

Idea 2: (static points)
The number of points would be fixed and set by the type of suspect. The points set the level of cop force that may be in chase at any moment in time.

Example: Suspect FXO = 1000 pts, so you can have 4 cops with each 250pts in the chase at the same time. if 2 cops lose contact, you gain those 500pts back, and a faster car ,i.e. with 500pts, or maybe 2 slower cops may join again.

Poll will be attached for an easier opinion overview, but please consider replying as well.

RE: Proposed Changed to Backup System - 2023 - bayanofmansorofisky - 2023-08-26 08:23

I like the idea of capping out when it's possible to call backup and what type of a backup unit should respond.

I vote for the growing points

-The pricing of points per available units must depend on the car used.
-The system should have a limitation of only the initiating cop is allowed to call for backup for that chase.

RE: Proposed Changed to Backup System - 2023 - Nexoon - 2023-08-26 08:29

What about if the growing point amount would be determined by the car price of the cop?

RE: Proposed Changed to Backup System - 2023 - Adrian - 2023-08-26 10:01

Honestly, I'm not a fan of either of those suggestions.

1. Growing points
In this option, if cop waits long enough, they still can call for backup for some overpowered cop. And I believe that's the issue we are trying to eliminate.
Furthermore, from my own perspective, I usually don't call for backup as soon as it is available, but rather when I actually feel I need it. So in this scenario, that would usually mean that when I decide to call I would have already collected more points than I would want to spend. So I would either be forced to call for backup sooner than I want or I would risk some overpowered cop joining.

2. Static points
The same points can be used by one cop in overpowered car, or by 3 cops in reasonable cars. And I, as a cop who is calling for backup, still have no control over who joins the chase...

So I feel like neither of those suggestions fixes the issue we are trying to fix. Personally, I would like to see solution that will completely prevent overpowered cops from joining, unless I explicitly state (by using different command/parameter/preference) that I want it.

RE: Proposed Changed to Backup System - 2023 - RevLeon - 2023-08-26 10:25

(2023-08-26 10:01)Adrian Wrote:  Honestly, I'm not a fan of either of those suggestions.

1. Growing points
In this option, if cop waits long enough, they still can call for backup for some overpowered cop. And I believe that's the issue we are trying to eliminate.
Furthermore, from my own perspective, I usually don't call for backup as soon as it is available, but rather when I actually feel I need it. So in this scenario, that would usually mean that when I decide to call I would have already collected more points than I would want to spend. So I would either be forced to call for backup sooner than I want or I would risk some overpowered cop joining.

2. Static points
The same points can be used by one cop in overpowered car, or by 3 cops in reasonable cars. And I, as a cop who is calling for backup, still have no control over who joins the chase...

So I feel like neither of those suggestions fixes the issue we are trying to fix. Personally, I would like to see solution that will completely prevent overpowered cops from joining, unless I explicitly state (by using different command/parameter/preference) that I want it.

I completely agree with the above. I think the best way to tackle this issue is much more simple.

If cop car is within 10-15% of the suspects BHP/TON then he should be able to join the chase. No complicated points system, no different commands, all you need to do is make sure the cop and suspect car match in performance.

This is a small example of what the change really is.

Code:
double lowerBound = suspectCarHorsepower * 0.9;
        double upperBound = suspectCarHorsepower * 1.15;

if (copCarHorsepower >= lowerBound && copCarHorsepower <= upperBound) {
            System.out.println("Cop car's horsepower is within 10-15% of the suspect car's horsepower.");
        } else {
            System.out.println("Cop car's horsepower is NOT within 10-15% of the suspect car's horsepower.");
        }

Pretty simple right?

RE: Proposed Changed to Backup System - 2023 - Orange™ - 2023-08-26 10:42

(2023-08-26 10:25)RevLeon Wrote:  
(2023-08-26 10:01)Adrian Wrote:  Honestly, I'm not a fan of either of those suggestions.

1. Growing points

2. Static points

I completely agree with the above. I think the best way to tackle this issue is much more simple.

If cop car is within 10-15% of the suspects BHP/TON then he should be able to join the chase. No complicated points system, no different commands, all you need to do is make sure the cop and suspect car match in performance.

This is a small example of what the change really is.

Code:
double lowerBound = suspectCarHorsepower * 0.9;
        double upperBound = suspectCarHorsepower * 1.15;

if (copCarHorsepower >= lowerBound && copCarHorsepower <= upperBound) {
            System.out.println("Cop car's horsepower is within 10-15% of the suspect car's horsepower.");
        } else {
            System.out.println("Cop car's horsepower is NOT within 10-15% of the suspect car's horsepower.");
        }

Pretty simple right?

Plus 1 from me pal.

RE: Proposed Changed to Backup System - 2023 - BP - 2023-08-26 10:56

Yeah, I think I'm with Adrian here actually. It doesn't really solve the problem we're looking at.

Maybe a more simple approach would be good, e.g., what RevLeon suggested.

RE: Proposed Changed to Backup System - 2023 - 7mar - 2023-08-26 12:07

i like static points so much

RE: Proposed Changed to Backup System - 2023 - A n a n s i - 2023-08-26 12:23

I'd rather go with the suggestion that RevLeon stated here. Sure, the growing and static points ideas are very interesting, I have to agree with Adrian's opinion about both ideas. I think that controlling who could join the chase is the better option. And since it'd be tricky and time-consuming to manually select whoever you'd want to enter the chase (and it probably will be abused aswell, i.e. COP1 only selects cars that are way faster than the suspect's); why not make it fair and square by only allowing vehicles with similar specs to the suspect's vehicle?

On another note, bhp/ton isn't really a good stat to pick. For instance - the LRF class consisting of the LX6, RAC, FZ5. These 3 are very similar cars in terms of sheer performance, but they have very different bhp/ton values - 358 for the LX6, 311 for the RAC and 265 for the FZ5.

RE: Proposed Changed to Backup System - 2023 - Vilix - 2023-08-26 12:36

A possible approach is to assign priority rankings to each cop car. The closer your cop car is matched to the performance of the suspects car, the higher your priority ranking is in joining a chase for backup. High priority rank means you join earlier than someone with low priority. This doesn’t necessarily fix the issue of cop vs suspect imbalance, but maybe this could be useful to spark some ideas.

RE: Proposed Changed to Backup System - 2023 - Chuck - 2023-08-26 12:52

(2023-08-26 10:25)RevLeon Wrote:  ...
Pretty simple right?

It's not quite that simple. I may have missed some points, but you're merely limiting the power of each single cop joining but you forget the total cop strength.
It's a HUGE difference whether you are chased by 1 or 4 cops.

RE: Proposed Changed to Backup System - 2023 - Yasen - 2023-08-26 18:30

I think Idea 2: (Static points) could works well.
Points fixed and set by the type of car used by the suspect.
Backup call, to be open for cops(2,3,4) using slower, approximately same, but not much faster car than the suspect. (Calculated hp/ton).

RE: Proposed Changed to Backup System - 2023 - RevLeon - 2023-08-27 00:17

(2023-08-26 12:52)Chuck Wrote:  
(2023-08-26 10:25)RevLeon Wrote:  ...
Pretty simple right?

It's not quite that simple. I may have missed some points, but you're merely limiting the power of each single cop joining but you forget the total cop strength.
It's a HUGE difference whether you are chased by 1 or 4 cops.

4 turbo cars chasing another turbo car seems as fair as it can get to me. You're talking about revamping the whole back-up system I guess so it's not a free for all anymore which I don't mind but that's not what I was referring to. My suggestion was only aiming to solve the issue of back-up cars being more powerful than the suspect car that's all.