[TC] Gaming Forums
Uber - equivalent of Taxi - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Server & InSim Suggestions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+---- Thread: Uber - equivalent of Taxi (/showthread.php?tid=37074)

Uber - equivalent of Taxi - hsTurbo - 2023-11-17 19:09

What I want is something like Uber. Basically the same thing as Taxi, but I want it to be in civil vehicle, unmarked, non taxi skin, no tag in nickname.

RE: Uber - equivalent of Taxi - Marty_Deslions - 2023-11-17 20:49

so anyone can hop in and start taking fares?
Interesting idea, but maybe one the condition that it will give less income than taxi. This way players could be encouraged to get their taxi license for more income.

Also, maybe "Uber" is not the right name due to copyright blah

RE: Uber - equivalent of Taxi - A n a n s i - 2023-11-18 15:36

To be an Uber you still have to have a proper license/certification. Here in Portugal the people who drive for Uber/Cabify/etc. have a license called TVDE [(Transporte individual de passageiros em VeĆ­culo DEscaracterizado) = (Individual Transport in an Unmarked Vehicle)]. Also it does make sense to have some sort of eletronic device (well... a smartphone) to identify a fare's location. Could be an interesting idea, but ingame (and IRL) "Ubers" and Taxis do the same thing except that the latter is obviously marked for other people.

Maybe make it so the Uber license is cheaper to obtain (in real life, at least in Portugal, it's cheaper to obtain a TVDE license), but make it so it gives less income?

RE: Uber - equivalent of Taxi - Carl - 2023-11-18 18:06

Voting no because it will make the [TAXI] role almost redundant. Uber style vehicles can still be achieved with the Taxi role, the rules were made very flexible.

RE: Uber - equivalent of Taxi - hsTurbo - 2023-11-18 18:50

(2023-11-18 18:06)Carl Wrote:  Voting no because it will make the [TAXI] role almost redundant. Uber style vehicles can still be achieved with the Taxi role, the rules were made very flexible.

I am OK with the TAXI tag in nickname. What I don't like is the skin. Why? Because if I want to quit the job, I will have to pit & change skin.

RE: Uber - equivalent of Taxi - Carl - 2023-11-18 18:58

For the same reason a TOW must use a skin to identify themselves. They are a civilian role, but still must appear as a TOW. It adds to the CityDriving atmosphere instead of everyone driving in plain cars.

In theory, a TOW could do the job without skin, but that would be boring. I don't think changing a skin is a massive task, it takes 2 seconds.

RE: Uber - equivalent of Taxi - RevLeon - 2023-11-18 19:16

I vote no for adding a whole new job but what could be done is incorporate UBER and other skins like LYFT, BOLT, GETT etc... into the taxi job. That would mean you can taxi with any skin as long as it belongs to a taxi service company but you still need the taxi license and taximeter to be able to do the jobs.

RE: Uber - equivalent of Taxi - Chuck - 2023-11-19 07:30

Basically what Carl said. If everyone can just drive around in plain cars, it removes the role-play aspect.

RE: Uber - equivalent of Taxi - Yukine - 2023-11-19 09:17

Little question Chuck: is an "Uber"/"Lyft" skin be appropriate as taxi or not?

RE: Uber - equivalent of Taxi - Chuck - 2023-11-20 05:05

(2023-11-19 09:17)Yukine Wrote:  Little question Chuck: is an "Uber"/"Lyft" skin be appropriate as taxi or not?

Hard to tell without having seen one. If it's just a tiny sticker on the bumper, then rather not.

That be said: The taxis represent a neutral transportation system that exists around the world, whereas Uber/Lyft/etc. represent private companies with their own schemes and rules.