[TC] Gaming Forums
An interesting read..[kinda] - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Technology Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=82)
+---- Forum: Tech News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=83)
+---- Thread: An interesting read..[kinda] (/showthread.php?tid=3750)

Pages: 1 2

An interesting read..[kinda] - ChrisM - 2012-07-09 17:26

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/132247-this-smart-car-locks-out-calls-and-texts-but-only-when-it-senses-heavy-traffic

I read it, and I'm not usually 1 for reading Tongue

RE: An interesting read..[kinda] - Adampower - 2012-07-09 18:20

I think cars should be made with a shell that blocks mobile networks, and in the event of an accident then somehow releases it.

Lightbulb moment however the implications on the passengers is a pain in the ass, also it would probably block the sat nav too.

Or,, instead of being 3points £60, should be 4weeks disqualification, if caught second time 8 weeks, etc..

RE: An interesting read..[kinda] - Chuck - 2012-07-09 20:04

Sounds like a April fool's prank tbh Wink

RE: An interesting read..[kinda] - Audiojack - 2012-07-09 20:18

So does that mean you can't use driving gloves anymore? Laugh

RE: An interesting read..[kinda] - McGherkin - 2012-07-09 21:20

LOL at the 'overprotective parent' programmable key:
[Image: ford-mykey-640x380.jpg]

Traction control, quiet stereo, and 80mph speed limit. Crying

RE: An interesting read..[kinda] - NVRMR - 2012-07-09 22:16

Why don't 'city' cars have built in speed limiters or a system like cruise control for never being able to speed.

RE: An interesting read..[kinda] - Tommer - 2012-07-09 22:57

Cruise control is a bad idea for a city seeing as it encourages the driver to doze and not pay attention when the situation around them is constantly changing someone could pull out from a narrow side road or a child from a school etc.

Also, that ford thing sounds like a joke Tongue

RE: An interesting read..[kinda] - Chuck - 2012-07-10 05:57

(2012-07-09 22:16)NVRMR Wrote:  Why don't 'city' cars have built in speed limiters or a system like cruise control for never being able to speed.

Couple of reasons actually:
1. Who would by this when unlimited cars are available at the vendor just around the corner?

2. The system manufacturer would have to guarantee that all speedlimits are up to date at all times, including temporary and dynamically changed ones. Which nobody actually can.

3. Would be tiring the driver

RE: An interesting read..[kinda] - NVRMR - 2012-07-11 06:25

(2012-07-10 05:57)Chuck Wrote:  
(2012-07-09 22:16)NVRMR Wrote:  Why don't 'city' cars have built in speed limiters or a system like cruise control for never being able to speed.

Couple of reasons actually:
1. Who would by this when unlimited cars are available at the vendor just around the corner?

2. The system manufacturer would have to guarantee that all speedlimits are up to date at all times, including temporary and dynamically changed ones. Which nobody actually can.

3. Would be tiring the driver

So your cruise control is set on one speed and it's only on as soon as you start the car?

It would NOT be hard to have a speed limiter tie in to some GPS knowledge and it would not need to be on all the time.

I would see it as a benefit because the car would not be physically able to speed unless hit from behind. As in, the system can be enabled when required to stop the car from ever rising above the speed limit (average speed zone cameras??)

RE: An interesting read..[kinda] - McGherkin - 2012-07-11 07:08

Oh, you mean like the old TC-SL we had here, you could turn it on and off, and it'd just follow the speed limit? Good idea, but it'd have to use both GPS and be able to read signs (for temporary limits)

If the highways agency could provide up to date info, people would probably buy this.

RE: An interesting read..[kinda] - ChrisM - 2012-07-11 07:11

(2012-07-11 07:08)McGherkin Wrote:  If the highways agency could provide up to date info, people would probably have to be forced to use this.

Fixed that m8Wink

RE: An interesting read..[kinda] - McGherkin - 2012-07-11 07:16

Probably, but encouragement is better than forcing people to use it IMO.

RE: An interesting read..[kinda] - Chuck - 2012-07-11 08:54

(2012-07-11 06:25)NVRMR Wrote:  So your cruise control is set on one speed and it's only on as soon as you start the car?

When did I say that? I said that the car would need to know all active speed limits, including those who change during a day and, therefore, cannot be loaded into the car when its been manufactured.

If there is a 30 sign and your car falsely think the limit is 50, you could simply drive slower by yourself, but I don't want to be the fool with the car which, by mistake, only goes 30 in a 50 zone.

Just imagine it was you, having such a moron driving ahead of youWink

RE: An interesting read..[kinda] - NVRMR - 2012-07-11 21:56

(2012-07-11 08:54)Chuck Wrote:  
(2012-07-11 06:25)NVRMR Wrote:  So your cruise control is set on one speed and it's only on as soon as you start the car?

When did I say that? I said that the car would need to know all active speed limits, including those who change during a day and, therefore, cannot be loaded into the car when its been manufactured.

If there is a 30 sign and your car falsely think the limit is 50, you could simply drive slower by yourself, but I don't want to be the fool with the car which, by mistake, only goes 30 in a 50 zone.

Just imagine it was you, having such a moron driving ahead of youWink

lol

If they have the technology to read a thousand numberplates driving by a camera at 60mph .. pretty sure they can put something in a car to detect and identify speed zone signs.

I'm not saying it's switched on all the time from the day you buy it, it would be something the car has that you can choose to activate to stop you from rolling too fast down a hill and copping a speeding fine that ends up costing you your license because of stupidly tight laws and incredibly large fines.

If the car comes with GPS it's already capable of doing it, just needs the rest of the system built/designed

I can imagine something like this + a traffic jam mode where you can sit the car behind a car and it speed matches at a crawl, then if the car in front slows down it also detects that and acts appropriately.

Technology like this already exists they just aren't using it widely in the average consumer market.

RE: An interesting read..[kinda] - bullet - 2012-07-11 22:00

IIRC the Insignia has speed limit sign recognisation

RE: An interesting read..[kinda] - McGherkin - 2012-07-11 22:22

As does the Ford Focus.

(2012-07-11 21:56)NVRMR Wrote:  I can imagine something like this + a traffic jam mode where you can sit the car behind a car and it speed matches at a crawl, then if the car in front slows down it also detects that and acts appropriately.

Merc S-classes can pretty much do that, but it won't drive off again unless you tell it to, because for all it knows you could be sat at a roundabout and the car in front has just gone for a tiny gap.

RE: An interesting read..[kinda] - NVRMR - 2012-07-12 02:13

(2012-07-11 22:22)McGherkin Wrote:  As does the Ford Focus.

(2012-07-11 21:56)NVRMR Wrote:  I can imagine something like this + a traffic jam mode where you can sit the car behind a car and it speed matches at a crawl, then if the car in front slows down it also detects that and acts appropriately.

Merc S-classes can pretty much do that, but it won't drive off again unless you tell it to, because for all it knows you could be sat at a roundabout and the car in front has just gone for a tiny gap.

Was it Volvo or Merc that ran the crash detection test (after driving a convoy of robot cars X distance) and the car just plain slammed into the obstacle?

that was lol

they were doing so well up until that point.

RE: An interesting read..[kinda] - bullet - 2012-07-12 11:52

Tongue

RE: An interesting read..[kinda] - Elmo - 2012-07-12 20:01

Mostly because they forgot to turn the system on.

RE: An interesting read..[kinda] - Tommer - 2012-07-12 20:57

(2012-07-12 20:01)Elmo Wrote:  Mostly because they forgot to turn the system on.

Ahh but one may argue that if a car manufacturer finds it so easy to forget to turn the system on, then perhaps the driver might make the same mistake too.