[TC] Gaming Forums
Black Mesa [Half Life 2 Mod] - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Community Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Other Games (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: Black Mesa [Half Life 2 Mod] (/showthread.php?tid=4306)

Pages: 1 2 3

Black Mesa [Half Life 2 Mod] - Zipppy - 2012-09-02 06:23

Yes, It's official.

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

Forums are down due traffic.

RE: Black Mesa [HL2 Mod] - mogey5101 - 2012-09-03 00:43

9 years too late Biggrin. Glad to finally see its releasing.

RE: Black Mesa [HL2 Mod] - Chuck - 2012-09-03 06:06

Lol, well, looks like yet another 3d shooter. I'd wish they would all use a unique serial instead of confusing titles. So CoD 2 would be called like Shooter_12342 and BF3 would be Shooter_15552 as they're all substantially the same anyway and become forgotten 2 months after release.

RE: Black Mesa [HL2 Mod] - Zipppy - 2012-09-03 06:47

You are correct, it is a 3d shooter, but this one differs quite a fair bit from the ones you mentioned. the game this is based on itself, is still among the most played to this day, and it was released over a decade ago, (even the sequel is among the most popular as well, and has revolutionized other things) It's the basis for many gameplay mechanics and plots in many games today, regardless of genre. So basically, the base game revolutionized the industry, as the sequel.

I still don't understand on how it could be forgotten so quickly, even with some legendary music groups which have come and gone in the past.

RE: Black Mesa [HL2 Mod] - mogey5101 - 2012-09-03 17:45

This definitely wont die out. Many of us have been waiting for this mod since Valve ported the original half life over to source. Many people didn't like the port since it didn't take advantage of the source engine's new features. These guys set out to re-create the game on the source engine and after 9 years it looks like its finally about done. Biggrin Half life was released in 1998 IIRC, before the time of crappy 3d shooters.

RE: Black Mesa [HL2 Mod] - Bez - 2012-09-03 19:41

I used to play the original halflife on 52k dial-up modem when i was like 11... because back then you used to have to buy halflife to play counterstike 1.6 and TFC. I miss them days...

BUT in turn now we have great graphics so why not rebirth an awesome game in source engine Biggrin
I know i will be buying it Smile

(Hope they still have that microwave that blows up in the canteen Smile Tongue)

RE: Black Mesa [HL2 Mod] - mogey5101 - 2012-09-03 23:43

(2012-09-03 19:41)Bez Wrote:  I used to play the original halflife on 52k dial-up modem when i was like 11... because back then you used to have to buy halflife to play counterstike 1.6 and TFC. I miss them days...

BUT in turn now we have great graphics so why not rebirth an awesome game in source engine Biggrin

Its a free mod, made by a team of fans. All you need is any source engine game, so Team fortress 2 will do just fine since it is free.

RE: Black Mesa [HL2 Mod] - Bez - 2012-09-04 00:09

(2012-09-03 23:43)mogey5101 Wrote:  
(2012-09-03 19:41)Bez Wrote:  I used to play the original halflife on 52k dial-up modem when i was like 11... because back then you used to have to buy halflife to play counterstike 1.6 and TFC. I miss them days...

Its a free mod, made by a team of fans. All you need is any source engine game, so Team fortress 2 will do just fine since it is free.

Makes it even better then Tongue Cause i have all the half lifes cs tf blah blah yeh ;D

RE: Black Mesa [HL2 Mod] - Zipppy - 2012-09-04 01:20

(2012-09-03 19:41)Bez Wrote:  (Hope they still have that microwave that blows up in the canteen Smile Tongue)

Hope so too, Let's see if the dev team of the mod didn't forget about that little detail!

RE: Black Mesa [Half Life 2 Mod] - Tommer - 2012-09-04 03:05

I've never played the original but I watched the Freeman's mind series on YouTube, to see this old game polished in modern graphics will be quite awesome since the original was quite cool even with the repeating scientist warden models/voices the game still was quite enjoyable to watch

RE: Black Mesa [Half Life 2 Mod] - James - 2012-09-04 03:38

Freemans Mind is awesome!

Ive played through this and I was just as much captured in the original as I have been in the Second.

RE: Black Mesa [Half Life 2 Mod] - Orange™ - 2012-09-04 06:24

A big fan of the series, playing it since it was first out. This is first i'm hearing of this, free as well. I have to do this game again! Source engine,, woop!!

RE: Black Mesa [HL2 Mod] - Nitros - 2012-09-04 12:37

(2012-09-03 06:06)Chuck Wrote:  Lol, well, looks like yet another 3d shooter. I'd wish they would all use a unique serial instead of confusing titles. So CoD 2 would be called like Shooter_12342 and BF3 would be Shooter_15552 as they're all substantially the same anyway and become forgotten 2 months after release.

Yeah, what is this Half Life game anyway?

EDIT: ( /sarcasm )

RE: Black Mesa [HL2 Mod] - mogey5101 - 2012-09-05 23:58

(2012-09-04 12:37)Nitros Wrote:  
(2012-09-03 06:06)Chuck Wrote:  Lol, well, looks like yet another 3d shooter. I'd wish they would all use a unique serial instead of confusing titles. So CoD 2 would be called like Shooter_12342 and BF3 would be Shooter_15552 as they're all substantially the same anyway and become forgotten 2 months after release.

Yeah, what is this Half Life game anyway?

EDIT: ( /sarcasm )

You almost had me there.

RE: Black Mesa [Half Life 2 Mod] - Blade3562 - 2012-09-06 03:24

Makes me hopeful that the godfather of all games will be redone. Quake, Quake II and maybe even Quake III Arena/Team Arena. Some of the early Star Wars games were pretty good as well.

RE: Black Mesa [Half Life 2 Mod] - Chuck - 2012-09-06 06:22

Admitted, Half Life was a bad example. For some reason "old" games last a lot longer than newer titles, not only on the harddisk but also in people's heads. HL is one of them, as well as UT.The original Unreal Tournament from '99 outlived all of its successors. But all the newer crap get forgotten literally after a few months. I'd count the most of CoD, BF and Modern Warfare series into that. Today's games are also limited like hell, starting with ridiculous copy protections, account limitations, absurd hardware requirements (sometimes even for dedicated servers *cough* Arma2 *cough*), lack of modifiability, sometimes not even server support (i.e.BF3). Therefore other things got into focus, like millions of achievements to unlock, tons of DLCs you got to buy (though you bought the 99€ ultimate-limited-deluxe-signature-edition just a month ago), the endless hunt for more XP and the untameable will to share every poop you did instantly on twitter, Facebook or built-in solutions like EA's battlenet. But despite all that, they still go down quite fast. I play LFS, nothing new to buy for 7 years Wink

RE: Black Mesa [Half Life 2 Mod] - Nitros - 2012-09-08 11:25

But Chuck, Black Mesa is half life - with some fancier graphics. And it will be free afaik.

RE: Black Mesa [Half Life 2 Mod] - Elmo - 2012-09-08 14:45

Yes, it'll be free. It's basically a straight remake of Half-Life, but using the source engine prettyness.

RE: Black Mesa [Half Life 2 Mod] - Zipppy - 2012-09-09 14:45

Want this mod on Steam? vote for it on this link via Steam Greenlight:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94128543

RE: Black Mesa [Half Life 2 Mod] - Zipppy - 2012-09-12 00:29

It has made it to Steam! First game/mod to do so, via Greenlight.