[TC] Gaming Forums
Lead cop notification - Printable Version

+- [TC] Gaming Forums (https://forum.city-driving.co.uk)
+-- Forum: General Information (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Server & InSim Suggestions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+---- Thread: Lead cop notification (/showthread.php?tid=4524)

Lead cop notification - Johan. - 2012-09-27 20:34

Evenin',

As some chases are long enough, to lose backup every once in a while, wouldn't it be handy if there's a little box showing who the lead-cop is on that chase?

__

COP1 chases suspect
Suspect fails to stop
COP1 calls backup
COP2 joins chase
COP1 calls backup
COP3 joins case
COP1 loses backup
COP2 takes over chase
COP2 calls backup
COP4 joins chase
COP2 calls backup
COP5 joins chase

Right now, COP3 and COP4 won't know that COP2 is the lead-cop, unless they're actually reading the chat.

In this case, wouldn't a bar showing the lead cop in the current chase, be handy?

RE: Lead cop notification - Cobra - 2012-09-27 20:52

Hey,

I have already cursed on occasion because I did not know who the leader is.

Quite a small window would reach.

Cop 1 Sina (leader)
Cop 2 Timo (Backup1)
Cop 3 Paul (Backup2)
Cop 4 Svens (Backup3)

If then I now the presecuted ones lose. Then slides next after.

Now cop 1 Timo (Backup1 is a leader)
Then cop 2 Paul (Backup2 is Backup1
Then cop 3 Svens (Backup3 is Backup2)
Cop4 (is open for new backup)

its a good and cleary idea.... Thumbup

RE: Lead cop notification - KaraK - 2012-09-27 20:57

Wasn't there once a message saying 'cop x took over the chase' or something?
Why was it removed? Would like to see it back.

Btw, if anyone gets confused, these aren't the cop numbers for the cop1 cop2 rule Tongue

RE: Lead cop notification - Johan. - 2012-09-27 20:58

Yes, there is Karak, and there still is if I'm right. But, once your concentrating on a chase.. your not really checking the chat everytime.

RE: Lead cop notification - KaraK - 2012-09-27 20:59

Pretty sure there isn't.

RE: Lead cop notification - Cobra - 2012-09-27 21:01

(2012-09-27 20:58)Johan. Wrote:  Yes, there is Karak, and there still is if I'm right. But, once your concentrating on a chase.. your not really checking the chat everytime.

Yes..... in a chase you check not alltime the message or other. But for the start.....is it a good idea or? And a small window one the side...that you can see all times.....is not bad.

RE: Lead cop notification - Nick - 2012-09-27 21:09

Why not just a little [n] in the top right insim chase window to denote you are the nth cop in the chase? Small, simple, doesn't spam the chat more than it already is.

RE: Lead cop notification - KaraK - 2012-09-27 21:23

Rather than having it tell you you are the nth cop, change the status of the chase to [LEAD] instead of [CHASE].
Would be better for the newer cops, and less confusing with the COP1 COP2 rule.
Also simple and effective.

RE: Lead cop notification - Tommer - 2012-09-27 21:47

Agree with original suggestion

Putting an [L] next to chase would be a simple non space invasive solution.

RE: Lead cop notification - Johan. - 2012-09-27 22:41

I was more aiming for the name of the lead-cop being displayed somewhere. So the non-lead-cops can see who is leading the chase.

RE: Lead cop notification - Josh - 2012-09-27 22:41

Just to clarify, I think there is some confusion as to what (or who) Cop 1 is. For a long long time, I was always under the assumption that cop 1 was the person who a) Started the chase, or b) had been in the chase the longest. I would always try to fight my way to be in front thinking I was still cop 1 when I had been passed.

As it stands (afaik), Cop 1 is the cop in front, which is prone to changing. Whenever a cop behind takes up position at the front, he becomes cop 1.

I understand that Cop 1 is different to the 'lead cop', the cop who has been involved in the chase for the longest (I will refer to this as the lead cop).

Other than knowing who has been in the chase for the longest, or who makes the fine at the end, I see no other need for this to be added. At the end of the chase only the lead cop will be able to make the fine.

If it is an easy thing to add, then I see no problem why it couldn't, just doesn't seem beneficial.

I hope that makes sense and clears up any confusion and doesn't cause any more.

RE: Lead cop notification - NVK - 2012-09-27 22:49

I don't see the point in having 'took over the chase' information (if it's still there) that sends it as a global message to everyone on the server. Why? Well, it's not really relevant for everyone to know, a part from the cops thats in the chase.

I'm not much around these days, so i don't know every details about the current system.
But as it currenly is everyone in the same chase can call for backup, and it happens occasionally people press the wrong bind now and then, and some do it because they just feel for it. So i think the better would be, only the leader of an chase should be able to call for backup.

And instead of an global message to everyone, i think it would be better with an simple personal message in bold red informing you are the leader of the chase. Which will indicate your in charge of all the backup calls.

And i liked the suggestion with adding an [L] by Tommer, to keep the information space on a minimum on the tracker, to remind you incase you forget your the leader of the case.

RE: Lead cop notification - Johan. - 2012-09-27 22:56

Yes, I understand Josh, but there's a slight problem.

A while ago I heard someone on Teamspeak, saying something in the way of "As soon as a cop thinks, that he needs backup, but the lead-cop doesn't call it, or doesn't "listen" to a request, he can ask it himself". The last time I accidently called for backup, over 1.5 year ago, I was called a newb because I'm not the one supposed to call backup, as I'm not the lead cop.

If the cops don't know who's the lead-cop, they have no idea who to ask for backup. If the lead cop won't call backup, and they won't either, then the chance is big for the suspect to escape.

RE: Lead cop notification - Tommer - 2012-09-27 23:07

(2012-09-27 22:41)Josh Wrote:  As it stands (afaik), Cop 1 is the lead cop - the cop in front, which is prone to changing. Whenever a cop behind takes up position at the front, he becomes cop 1.

I understand that Cop 1 is different to the 'lead cop', the cop who has been involved in the chase for the longest (I will refer to this as the lead cop).

Contradicted yourself in these paragraphs Tongue

Since i'm a trainer and also the person writing the police guide i'd say it's worth me verifying the information I am giving to people is correct;

Here's what I understand and teach;

Lead Cop

Earliest cop to join the chase. Normally the cop to start the chase unless he lost contact then it would be the first person he called.

Contrary to the name 'lead' the lead cop is not the cop at the front, but does (typically) do the following;

- Choose when to call backup
- Choose when to request roadblock

People who are not lead cop can call backup and request roadblock without breaking the rules but generally for whatever reason it's looked down on

Cop 1

Cop closest to suspect, regardless of infront, behind, left, right etc.

====

In my opinion honestly if i'm not lead cop and lead cop is faffing about i'll just call backup anyway since the lead cop is wasting time and ruining chances but that's just me.

RE: Lead cop notification - Josh - 2012-09-27 23:12

Oops yes, when I wrote that I meant the cop leading the convoy Tongue

There is no specific rule as to who can and can't call for backup. Techincally any cop involved may call for extra help. I believe 'the lead cop can only ask for backup' is an old written rule something that someone probably invented themselves and was passed down.

With that said, Im not sure what the training teams teaches around this.

RE: Lead cop notification - Sinoco - 2012-09-27 23:53

The training team does teach that the lead cop is the one who calls for backup, and other cops get quite upset if it's there chase but someone else calls for backup.

RE: Lead cop notification - Elmo - 2012-09-28 01:43

There seems to be quite a bit of confusion about this mostly due to there being 2 potential definitions of "lead cop".

First is the "Lead Cop" aka "Cop 1 Cop 2" guideline which covers a sensible etiquette for cop interaction. Personally, I've always thought "Cop 1 Cop 2" to be a bit of a dodgy name, but I guess that's a different discussion Wink

Second is the cop that's been in the chase for the longest.

Now to clear things up and hopefully set a precedent that might stick:

For all practical purposes the "Lead Cop" is the one who is closest behind the suspect. This is how it is in real life (in the UK at least, providing that driver is pursuit trained) and makes sense to me. This is also exactly how the "Lead Cop/Cop 1 Cop 2" guideline works.

It's not really vital to know which cop has been in the chase the longest except for the InSim when it's dealing with the fines.

The cop who has been in the chase the longest does not have some divine right to be the only one allowed to call for backup.

The only thing this cop (arguably) has over the others is the best knowledge of how the chase overall is progressing... in theory at least. However, if this cop has dropped back from the suspect for whatever reason, then the Cop who knows best how the chase is going now is the Lead Cop.
There's also the fact that the longest running cop may never have actually been sufficiently close to the suspect to know what's really going on. In this situation, the only piece of information this cop has is how long the chase has been going, which is not enough information on its own to decide whether backup is needed or not.

So, the people who may be in a position to call for backup at any one time are:
  • The Lead Cop
  • Any cop who has been in contact with the suspect for a decent length of time (this may or may not include the cop who's been in the chase the longest).
  • In some circumstances, any other cop who is in a good position to know that more backup is needed (eg if the suspect is clearly faster than any of the cops, etc. There are several other cases that I will not list here).
Note: there may well be several people who are in a reasonable position to call for backup at any one time.

So, on the whole, there's little need to actually know who the cop is that's been in the chase the longest. If you happen know that's you, then great, but you don't need to know and neither does anyone else.

To summarise:
  • For all practical purposes the "Lead Cop" is the one who is closest behind the suspect.
  • There may well be several people in a good position to call backup at any time.
  • The cop who's been in the chase the longest might not be one of them.

Why I think "Cop1 Cop2" is a bad name (Click to View)

RE: Lead cop notification - Chuck - 2012-09-28 06:26

Meh much to read. Let me just explain one technical thing:

That "xx took over the chase" has a technical background. And yes, it's still in there.
That message is being printed when the last cop in CHASE-mode lost contact and the chase would be usually lost(cop-wise). The only option for the chase to go on is that a cop who is following the chase in JOIN-mode prematurely enters CHASE mode.

Usually, a joining cop has to be within 100m to enter CHASE mode but when the last cop in CHASE-mode lost contact, the logic is a bit more tolerant to find someone else to continue the chase. It will look for cops in JOIN-mode who are within 200m. The first one the logic will find will "take over the chase".
Also, that particular cop will instantly lose his 20sec join-immunity time.

That message might be less important for possible other joining cops, but it may be relevant for the one being chosen, as the whole chase depends on him now Wink